Shoutbox

Live-Alerts-like RSS Reader? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Live-Alerts-like RSS Reader? (/showthread.php?tid=74224)

Live-Alerts-like RSS Reader? by stephen_wq on 05-07-2007 at 09:07 AM

Does anyone know if there is a decent RSS reader for WLM that takes on the tab like interface of alerts, and you can be selectively updated when things are added to them?
If this exists, i would actually use RSS.

(i did try a search, but the forum hates sub 4 char searches)

RE: Live-Alerts-like RSS Reader? by Supersonicdarky on 05-07-2007 at 11:12 AM

you could try the rss reader script

alternetively you could use tabserve, and have an online rss reader in a tab (Google reader?)

RE: Live-Alerts-like RSS Reader? by stephen_wq on 05-08-2007 at 07:01 AM

Has anyone had any experience with tabserve?
If it patches messenger, will i run into any issues with stuffplug, msgplus or updating to new versions?
Are there any non patching alternatives apart from that script?

RE: Live-Alerts-like RSS Reader? by CookieRevised on 05-16-2007 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_wq
Has anyone had any experience with tabserve?
If it patches messenger, will i run into any issues with stuffplug, msgplus or updating to new versions?
Tabserve patches messenger. But it shouldn't bring any problems with other addons. Although I'm not certain about StuffPlug because I thought it also had or has some feature to change the tabs.

You could always try it out and if it doesn't work, revert back to the original unpatched Messenger.

To be able to use Tabserve you need to create an account on the Tabserve page. In this account you configure what should be send to Messenger and as such you can completely alter your side-tabs in any way you like and/or add new tabs, etc...

The patching (which you do via the MessPatch) is needed so that Messenger requests the tab-info from the Tabserve server instead of the Messenger server.

quote:
Are there any non patching alternatives apart from that script?
not that I know of.

It would be a great feature for Windows Live Alerts to also support RSS feeds, maybe you can suggest this to the Windows Live Alerts team...

http://feedback.live.com/ > Windows Live Alerts