Shoutbox

fast zip extraction... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: fast zip extraction... (/showthread.php?tid=74232)

fast zip extraction... by Voldemort on 05-07-2007 at 09:55 PM

well, er....
I made a backup of all my music, so i ended up with a 20 gb zipped file...
now, the problem is that it takes too much time to extract it(50 hrs)...  and i don't want to wait that much...so wanted to ask you guys of method or program or a way to get it out of the zip asap....

thanks!

RE: fast zip extraction... by matty on 05-07-2007 at 10:22 PM

Its 20gbs of data what do you expect?

RE: fast zip extraction... by Supersonicdarky on 05-07-2007 at 10:25 PM

whats the point? music isnt compressable. at most you saved 10 megs.

RE: fast zip extraction... by Voldemort on 05-07-2007 at 10:28 PM

dunno, about the same time it took to compress xD

RE: fast zip extraction... by WDZ on 05-07-2007 at 10:31 PM

You're not trying to use the unzip feature built into Windows, are you? That's always really slow for me... anything would be faster. :p

RE: fast zip extraction... by Voldemort on 05-07-2007 at 10:40 PM

nope... tried winrar...

RE: fast zip extraction... by Rolando on 05-07-2007 at 10:53 PM

I don't think there's much you can do about it.. but as Supersonicdarky (what a long name...) said, its not like you saved much by compressing 'em

RE: fast zip extraction... by Voldemort on 05-07-2007 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
I don't think there's much you can do about it.. but as Supersonicdarky (what a long name...) said, its not like you saved much by compressing 'em
i know, but i zipped an entire partition
RE: fast zip extraction... by deAd on 05-07-2007 at 10:56 PM

Try 7zip, it's faster than WinRAR and Windows for me....but it'll still take a long time because you've got a lot of stuff to extract :P

RE: fast zip extraction... by NiteMare on 05-08-2007 at 12:55 AM

i'd say if your burning it, then yeah, just use a folder, else, winrar, with the least amount of compression

[offtopic]
did anyone else read : "fat Lip extraction"
[/offtopic]

RE: fast zip extraction... by Voldemort on 05-08-2007 at 01:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
i'd say if your burning it, then yeah, just use a folder, else, winrar, with the least amount of compression
haha :p
RE: fast zip extraction... by CookieRevised on 05-08-2007 at 04:02 AM

instead of zipping it with a normal compression, zip it with no compression. As people said, compressing music (MP3) is useless as it is already compressed; you wouldn't gain a lot.

Now, instead of trying to compressing and decompressing, which takes a very long time, the program you use to unzip it with should only extract the files if you have choosen to not compress the files (in zip-terms: 'storing' instead of 'max compression' or whatever).

So to solve your problem, provided you do want to have it in an archive: unzip the whole archive again and zip it again, but this time do not choose a compression level. It doesn't matter what program you use (winzip, winrar, etc) and it even doesn't matter what compression specification you use (zip, rar, etc) as most specifications can all simply 'store' files...

But since you just 'store' the files, I don't see any reason why you want it in an archive. Even extracting 'stored' files takes a while. And then there is also the disadvantage that if your archive got corrupt, you might loose a lot of stuff.

So, in the end, best is just to make a backup in a folder on another hard disk or something.

;)