Shoutbox

[Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing (/showthread.php?tid=74324)

[Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by linx05 on 05-12-2007 at 02:02 PM

Hi guys. This request will be better understood if you have used Miranda IM.

(In Miranda IM)
When you have a convo minimised and someone is typing a message, the icon in the Task Bar changes to a hand with a pencil, signifying that person is typing something.

I would love it if this could be implimented as a plugin or feature of Plus!. From what I've heard it is possible (with a little help from something other than a script). Would anybody else like a feature like this? I think it would be very handy to tell just by looking down at the Task Bar.

Thanks.

EDIT: It might be easier if Patchou added a script event when the user is typing I've been told. Whatever is easier, script or feature of Plus!.

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by -dt- on 05-12-2007 at 02:13 PM

* -dt- likes this idea

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
EDIT: It might be easier if Patchou added a script event when the user is typing I've been told. Whatever is easier, script or feature of Plus!.
:--o
* -dt- likes this idea better =p
RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by mickael9 on 05-12-2007 at 05:01 PM

It should be possible with Xniff :)

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by absorbation on 05-12-2007 at 05:03 PM

Great idea, love it (Y).

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by Steel Froggy on 05-12-2007 at 10:33 PM

(Y)

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by -dt- on 05-13-2007 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mickael9
xsniff is dodgy though :P
RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by linx05 on 05-13-2007 at 05:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Hahaha yeah that's a bit of a *hack* but it would be great if Patchou could add the script event. I was thinking of having a crack at it myself (learning as I go along :P) but it seems to be a big undertaking.
RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by Matti on 05-13-2007 at 06:30 AM

But what if you have tabbed chats activated, and another conversation is focused? Should the icon still change? :S

RE: RE: RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by CookieRevised on 05-13-2007 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Hahaha yeah that's a bit of a *hack* but it would be great if Patchou could add the script event. I was thinking of having a crack at it myself (learning as I go along :P) but it seems to be a big undertaking.

Xniff isn't a 'hack', workaround or trickery at all though. It is just like any other sniffer. Even if Patchou does it, he would be using the same prinicples too.

Dunno if this is what -dt- means, but what's a bit dodgy about Xniff is that it contains some errors in its programming in such a way that if it is closed (script stopped or you close messenger) it crashes. It also doesn't seem to work 100% with some other scripts. When you have a beta version of Plus! you can see this in the debug logs...

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
But what if you have tabbed chats activated, and another conversation is focused? Should the icon still change? :S
very true...

Or you could manipulate the icon even further:
Show one kind of icon for the focussed contact's typing activity (which will also be used when tab chatting is off of course), and a slightly different one (eg: slightly different color) when a non-focussed contact is typing.

Another question to ask is: is the icon going to be shown permanently (until you bring the chat window in front), or only when the user is actually typing (when the protocol messages are recieved), or only for a short while (on a timed basis)?

RE: RE: RE: RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by tmt64 on 05-13-2007 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Another question to ask is: is the icon going to be shown permanently (until you bring the chat window in front), or only when the user is actually typing (when the protocol messages are recieved), or only for a short while (on a timed basis)?

"only when the user is actually typing (when the protocol messages are recieved)" (Y)

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by -dt- on 05-13-2007 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Dunno if this is what -dt- means, but what's a bit dodgy about Xniff is that it contains some errors in its programming in such a way that if it is closed (script stopped or you close messenger) it crashes. It also doesn't seem to work 100% with some other scripts. When you have a beta version of Plus! you can see this in the debug logs...
thats what i ment, xniff has some dodgy errors and doesnt work for everyone : <

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by vikke on 05-13-2007 at 04:13 PM

I would like to add Xniff doesn't work on Windows Vista. You can always do a plugin doing this. :)

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by Keikonium on 05-13-2007 at 06:21 PM

Excellent idea!
I posted this over at the stuffplug fourms also (after seeing this thread. I did include a link back here tho :)) because TB already has code that can change the taskbar icons based on a contacts status, so I thought it might be something he could do. Hope you don't mind :S!
Could be cool as a script tho ^_^.

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by warmth on 05-13-2007 at 06:30 PM

would be nice that the guys that have the power of talk to developers can talk to them to make a kind of junction to make it both things work together:

1. Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing with tabbed convo ON.
2. Status taskbar icon in tabbed convo ON.

Note: I did an exchange of info too in SP forums...

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by MicroWay on 05-13-2007 at 06:44 PM

Hello, people!!!

* MicroWay thinks that this is a excellent idea too!!!
:$ Sorry if I can't help you on discution in how to make it...

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by linx05 on 05-15-2007 at 01:43 AM

Thanks for the post in the Stuffplug forum guys.

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by Agret on 05-15-2007 at 06:34 AM

I must also signify agreement that this is a good idea. Miranda IM pwnz :D

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by warmth on 05-15-2007 at 09:14 AM

I don't know where this feature is gonna be developed... IN SP or IN MP!L scripts but I hope to see it soon working ;)!!!

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by Steel Froggy on 05-16-2007 at 12:58 AM

I'm sure it'll get developed in one or the other at some point in time... lol

RE: RE: RE: RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by rav0 on 09-13-2007 at 11:53 AM

Hehe I had this idea as well (and I didn't see it in Miranda IM)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
very true...

Or you could manipulate the icon even further:
Show one kind of icon for the focussed contact's typing activity (which will also be used when tab chatting is off of course), and a slightly different one (eg: slightly different color) when a non-focussed contact is typing.
The icon colour could follow the colour of the conversation window for that contact (the contact cards and notifications follow this colour).

quote:
I think that it would be useful to show the "writing" icon only while the contact actually is writing, or possibly for a short while longer (icon appears as soon as contact is writing and disappears just after they appear to be writing no longer, ie have the icon appear immediately, but make it sticky, have it lag before it is removed).
RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by linx05 on 09-13-2007 at 01:20 PM

Thanks for the bump rav0.

It seems this might be a popular feature to implement. Come on Patchou :P Please!

RE: [Request] Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing by Pure_BY on 09-15-2007 at 05:45 PM

Very good idea!! I would also love to see this!