Shoutbox

Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along (/showthread.php?tid=74343)

Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Nagamasa on 05-13-2007 at 05:13 AM

Well, Warcraft and MapleStory are seemingly just freezing themselves up during the game, and something just forces my computer to just restart.

Help is solving this?

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by prashker on 05-13-2007 at 05:15 AM

Tried Compatibility Mode to XP?

Or Maybe...

quote:
Dear Maplers,

We would like to note that MapleStory is currently non-compatible with Windows Vista. However, due to the influx of Windows Vista users whom have feedback to us about non-compliance issues with regards to the MapleStory game client. With regards to this, Vista compatibility patch will be included on the 24th January 2007. The patch will be intensively beta-tested during this period of time until it has been deemed operational for public release.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience caused throughout the entire beta test period of the new patch.

- MapleSEA Administrator

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Vilkku on 05-13-2007 at 05:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Well, Warcraft and MapleStory are seemingly just freezing themselves up during the game, and something just forces my computer to just restart.

Help is solving this?

Which Warcraft? Warcraft III? WoW? Conserning WoW, I know it supports Vista, and I know many people who run it fine with Vista. Have you updated your drivers etc? Did they work fine before you got Vista (on the same computer) or were there problems earlier as well? And are your specs good enough? :)

EDIT: If it's only full-screen games, try running WoW (if it's that Warcraft you're talking about) in windowed mode and see if it changes anything.
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by John Anderton on 05-13-2007 at 08:23 AM

Warcraft 3 works perfectly with vista for me. I've tried it a million times. no patches. just plain 1.0
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphic card though the current ones by nvidia are betas (new ones coming out every month), they are still better than the ones shipped with vista or the ones which come through windows update.

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Nagamasa on 05-13-2007 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Which Warcraft? Warcraft III? WoW?
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphic card though the current ones by nvidia are betas (new ones coming out every month), they are still better than the ones shipped with vista or the ones which come through windows update.
Does it matter if my graphic card is by/ not by nvidia? I have no clue what my graphic card is or how to find what it is...:S noobness!
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Tried Compatibility Mode to XP?

Or Maybe... <insert quote>

1) I play MapleGlobal rather than MapleSEA, which does have a difference. MapleStory is franchised.

2) Compatibility for Vista on MapleSEA is already released, according to the quote.

3) I'll try them out with compatibility mode, and let see what happens! :D
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Voldemort on 05-13-2007 at 02:53 PM

quote:
and something just forces my computer to just restart.
overheating?
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by andrewdodd13 on 05-13-2007 at 04:38 PM

Could also be a silent bluescreen.

You can change this (sorry, I don't have Vista) under XP by Right-Clicking My Computer, choosing properties (or by using [Windows Logo] + Break)
=> [Tab] Advanced
=> [Panel] Startup and Recovery + [Button] Settings
=> [Panel] System Failure + [Check Box] Automatically Restart + [Button] Ok.
And Ok out of everything.

Of course, it could be totally different for Vista.

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Nagamasa on 05-13-2007 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13

You can change this (sorry, I don't have Vista) under XP by Right-Clicking My Computer, choosing properties (or by using [Windows Logo] + Break)
=> [Tab] Advanced

Um what am I supposed to change? The settings are already what you have mentioned.
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by kao on 05-13-2007 at 07:09 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13

=> [Tab] Advanced

Um what am I supposed to change? The settings are already what you have mentioned.
Uncheck the auto restart option so you will actually see the error when your PC restarts itself.
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Voldemort on 05-13-2007 at 07:14 PM

i still think it is overheating if it isnt a bsod

RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Vilkku on 05-13-2007 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Does it matter if my graphic card is by/ not by nvidia? I have no clue what my graphic card is or how to find what it is...:S noobness!
I'd say your problem is right here. Especially in Vista it is important to have the latest drivers. One way to find out what graphics card you have is to go Run (where ever that might be in Vista :P) and type in dxdiag (I'd assume they didn't change it). In XP, the information you are looking for is under the third tab from the left (most likely labeled Monitor or Display, using a non-English XP myself). Then if you could tell us what card you have.

ATI drivers
nVidia drivers
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Nagamasa on 05-14-2007 at 02:43 AM

I believe it's resolved, as it hasn't crashed in the past 3 hours. Thanks everybody :P

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Voldemort on 05-14-2007 at 02:59 AM

if it's sporadic it really may be overheating

* Voldemort is stubborn

RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Vilkku on 05-14-2007 at 07:35 AM

quote:
I believe it's resolved, as it hasn't crashed in the past 3 hours. Thanks everybody :P

Did you do anything? :P
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by joemailey on 05-14-2007 at 07:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

* Voldemort is stubborn

Bit late but i would agree with Voldemort. From seen the first post i automatically assumed over heating.

:-) But its fixed from what i read. (or is it, heat works in strange ways)
RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Verte on 05-14-2007 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

* Voldemort is stubborn

Because upgrading your OS is likely to cause overheating?* By that token, I guess Vista is hot stuff?

*ok, technically this is quite possible and a lot of people have had problems with ACPI where it works fine with one OS but dies under another. Still, it'd be strange to be a problem only with full screen dx games.
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Voldemort on 05-14-2007 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
*ok, technically this is quite possible and a lot of people have had problems with ACPI where it works fine with one OS but dies under another. Still, it'd be strange to be a problem only with full screen dx games.
Why is it strange? it uses the processor quite a bit, so it gets hot =/
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Nagamasa on 05-14-2007 at 07:20 PM

quote:

Because upgrading your OS is likely to cause overheating?*
It was a new laptop that I have gotten with Vista pre-installed.
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by joemailey on 05-14-2007 at 07:33 PM

Well for starters, Games usually one of the only things that test your systems CPU higher than most applications.

Of course encoding movies etc. use lot of CPU.

My old pc use to over heat playing counter strike source and only counter strike source. Which turned out to be heating prob.

Graphics card was getting to hot along with my processor :)

P.s

Can u provide the full spec of your laptop or link to your laptop or the make and model of your laptop.

thanks

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Nagamasa on 05-14-2007 at 08:24 PM

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?s...=0665000FS10086064

And I still haven't had any problems since.

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Jhrono on 05-14-2007 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Graphics     Intel GMA 950 With 224MB Shared Memory

This should be your problem.. You can't hope for that video card to cope with games set at high resolutions..
RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Verte on 05-15-2007 at 04:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
Well for starters, Games usually one of the only things that test your systems CPU higher than most applications.

Of course encoding movies etc. use lot of CPU.

My old pc use to over heat playing counter strike source and only counter strike source. Which turned out to be heating prob.

Graphics card was getting to hot along with my processor :)

P.s

Can u provide the full spec of your laptop or link to your laptop or the make and model of your laptop.

thanks

I agree, but, since Nagamasa specifically mentioned Vista I figured that while CPU utilisation may be higher with the same game under Vista compared to XP etc, it's insignificant considering how busy the CPU is running the game alone. By that logic, changing the operating system should not make that kind of heat difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
quote:
Graphics     Intel GMA 950 With 224MB Shared Memory

This should be your problem.. You can't hope for that video card to cope with games set at high resolutions..

I remember when I had a whole 2 meg of graphics ram! Back in those days [I was about ten], the ammount of graphics ram decided more than anything what resolutions you could run at, and /everyone/ knew that there was not much point to having more than 1600x1200 so you'd never need a bigger graphics card. crazy how things change.
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by joemailey on 05-15-2007 at 07:39 AM

Guess your sorted then :-)
nice laptop also.

Can find any compliants about it any.

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Jhrono on 05-15-2007 at 10:27 AM

quote:
I remember when I had a whole 2 meg of graphics ram! Back in those days [I was about ten], the ammount of graphics ram decided more than anything what resolutions you could run at, and /everyone/ knew that there was not much point to having more than 1600x1200 so you'd never need a bigger graphics card. crazy how things change.

lol yeah.. Nowadays the ammount of memory isn't the top demand for games (although it matters quite a lot). Core / Memory Clocks are :p

RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by joemailey on 05-15-2007 at 10:37 AM

Jhrono - fix your quote.  i didnt quote what you have said. your quote was by Verte

RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along by Verte on 05-15-2007 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
quote:

lol yeah.. Nowadays the ammount of memory isn't the top demand for games (although it matters quite a lot). Core / Memory Clocks are :p

Quite right, the problem today is machines can't keep GPUs as busy as they should. I think it's a problem with the APIs myself, OpenGL is dated and I've never used DX but I imagine it's the same.