Shoutbox

New discovery with "Appearing offline?" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" (/showthread.php?tid=74361)

New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-13-2007 at 08:59 PM

Hi

I am aware that while "appearing offline" in  windows live messenger 8.1, contacts cannot see you unless you double click on their name, open a conversation box and ACTUALLY type something and send it to them.

However, is it also possible that while "appearing offline" contacts can see you if u JUST CLICK on their contact picture and/or open up their conversation box alone....WITHOUT ACTUALLY TYPING A MESSAGE TO THEM.

Could somebody please clarify this for me...or help test it with me.

Many thanks

faith 007

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MeEtc on 05-13-2007 at 09:03 PM

no, this is not possible. You are offline, and nobody can tell the difference unless you start chatting with them, and actually send something to them

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-13-2007 at 09:07 PM

Could you test this out for me now...have u got an msn address im online now...my brother imed me while i was offline claiming he knew i was online because i clicked his name and it showed me as online...i dont know if hes lying or not...do u have an msn 2 test this now?

faith 007

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-13-2007 at 09:20 PM

is anyone willing to test this out with me...because this sounds strange...

many thanks

faith007

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by Phillip on 05-13-2007 at 09:37 PM

Your brother is lying. It does not work.

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-13-2007 at 09:43 PM

Thanks...so just to clarify...when i sign in as "appear offline" by me clicking on contacts i am not showing myself as being online to that specific person only  while still appearing "appearing offline" to everyone else. i can open a contacts convesation window or click their contact card while im "appear offline"...and say nothing and their none the wiser?

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MeEtc on 05-13-2007 at 09:53 PM

that is correct. unless you actually send a message, it is impossible for them to tell if you are there or not. This is the entire point of 'appear offline'

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by Phillip on 05-13-2007 at 09:54 PM

Thats Correct. Its only when you talk to them they will know you are only appearing offline.

Edit: Bastard MeEtc

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by krayzie47 on 05-13-2007 at 09:56 PM

My friend likes to be offline most the time and with Discovery whenever he opens up my window I know hes online from the alert i get.

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-13-2007 at 10:00 PM

kRAYZIE ....what is discovery?....and how come you get an alert?....this is what i was asking...but everyone is saying its not possible for a contact to get an alert when u just open a contacts window

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MicroWay on 05-13-2007 at 10:43 PM

He's talking about Messenger Discovery...
;)

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by vaccination on 05-14-2007 at 07:30 AM

I was going to say, this sounds like the works of a Open Conversation Notifier.

These detect whether a connection has been made to you by the contact, and thus trigger an alert saying that contactA has opened a conversation with you.

These convo notifiers are however VERY unreliable and can be triggered by things such as viewing a contact card etc.

RE: RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MattyRid on 05-14-2007 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
These convo notifiers are however VERY unreliable and can be triggered by things such as viewing a contact card etc.

this makes interesting reading and explains how and what triggers it.
RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-14-2007 at 08:46 AM

Ok is there anyway of preventing contacts with messenger discovery from seeing you do all these things i.e. blocking them,deleting them, appearing offline, opening windows etc?

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MattyRid on 05-14-2007 at 08:48 AM

unless you intercept the packets sent then maybe, however, it can be hard to do. Otherwise there is no way of stopping it

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-14-2007 at 09:08 AM

Thanks...what are packets and how do you go about intercepting them?

Thanks

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MattyRid on 05-14-2007 at 09:14 AM

basically unless you have some knowledge of programming you won't stand a chance in trying to intercept them. Packets are small bits of data that gets sent and received between nodes (computers, servers, printers, etc).

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-14-2007 at 09:31 AM

Ok...two final questions...

1. Is there anyway of knowing who in terms of contacts-has discovery messenger?

2. Contacts who have discovery messenger, can they see me if i dont open a contact window or click on a contact viewing card, while im "appearing offline"?

Thanks for your patience

faith007

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MattyRid on 05-14-2007 at 09:33 AM

1. you will need messenger discovery to find out, but be careful, some may have it but set to show up as if they don't have it

2. no

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by faith007 on 05-14-2007 at 09:36 AM

Thanks...have you got any reliable links to downloading it....as i dont want to download one that may have spyware or viruses etc

RE: New discovery with "Appearing offline?" by MattyRid on 05-14-2007 at 09:37 AM

http://msgdiscovery.com