Shoutbox

Unlimited broadband petition thingy. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. (/showthread.php?tid=74371)

Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Kenji on 05-14-2007 at 06:42 AM

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unlimited-ADSL/

Sign if you're in the UK.

quote:
More details from petition creator

Many ISP's (Internet Service providers) are advertising Broadband with 'Unlimited' downloads. The majority of these services are not unlimited as in the providers fair usage policies they either cap the use at a defioned amount, or use an undefined criteria that only they know.

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by vaccination on 05-14-2007 at 07:24 AM

Signed.

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by joey on 05-14-2007 at 08:42 AM

done. i wanted to sign to the jeremy clarckson being the next prime minister but its finished already :(

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Vazza on 05-14-2007 at 06:01 PM

Signed although to be honest, this has been brought to OFCOM's and ASA's attetion in the past and they have said that there is nothing wrong with the adverts because it's there on the screen, only in very small writing

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Nathan on 05-14-2007 at 06:04 PM

YOu should all switch to demon
when they say unlimited they mean it unlimited bandwidth + downloads and uploads and everything for £20 a month which gives me 8MB broadband :D
http://demon.net

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Kenji on 05-14-2007 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
Signed although to be honest, this has been brought to OFCOM's and ASA's attetion in the past and they have said that there is nothing wrong with the adverts because it's there on the screen, only in very small writing
My ISP has said nothing like "you can only download 40GB" We read all the small print and everything, yet we still got a letter and our connection cut off.

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Vazza on 05-14-2007 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
...gives me 8MB broadband :D

8MB broadband isn't guarenteed for all which is another thing ISP's are bad for (saying you can get 8MB when it's actually up to). It depends on a number of factors including the distance from the exchange and the wiring between there and you. For example, I best that I can get from any company is 4mb.
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by M73A on 05-14-2007 at 09:02 PM

signed...

im on Sky, got reports of people saying theyve downloading a few hundred gigabytes a month a lot and they haven't heard any complaints!

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by the andyman on 05-14-2007 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
It depends on a number of factors including the distance from the exchange and the wiring between there and you. For example, I best that I can get from any company is 4mb.
Same for me, it's because of the "noise" on the line. I looked into getting 24Mbps broadband (I'm currently on 8Mbps) but it would actually give me the same speed as I am getting now because of the distance I am from the exchange and the noise that distance gives me.

Read: http://www.madasafish.com/broadband/the-truth-abo...ited-broadband.asp
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by vaccination on 05-14-2007 at 09:21 PM

Yep same here.

I'm supposed to be getting 2mb - I get 1mb for the same reasons. - But I know of a lot of company's which claim 8mb etc, when, as Vazza said, it's up to. =/

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Kenji on 05-18-2007 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
YOu should all switch to demon
when they say unlimited they mean it unlimited bandwidth + downloads and uploads and everything for £20 a month which gives me 8MB broadband :D
http://demon.net
http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/producthelp/aup/thusfup/
quote:
Permitted data download over rolling period of 30 consecutive days

* Home 8000 - 50GB of total data download.
    * HomeOffice 8000 - 60GB of total data download.

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by joey on 05-18-2007 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Yep same here.

I'm supposed to be getting 2mb - I get 1mb for the same reasons. - But I know of a lot of company's which claim 8mb etc, when, as Vazza said, it's up to. =/

its something to do with how close you live to your exchange i think, i you live really close to it you might get more, and there's the fact that you share it with up to 50 other people in your area[not all at the same time =p] so you have a fair usage policy. stupid contracts.

im on talktalk 40GB limit monthly, and free landline calls for the whole time we're with them, its a good deal i reckon.
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Discrate on 05-18-2007 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unlimited-ADSL/

Sign if you're in the UK.

quote:
More details from petition creator

Many ISP's (Internet Service providers) are advertising Broadband with 'Unlimited' downloads. The majority of these services are not unlimited as in the providers fair usage policies they either cap the use at a defioned amount, or use an undefined criteria that only they know.

We need an australian one of these!
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by M73A on 05-18-2007 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD

im on talktalk 40GB limit monthly, and free landline calls for the whole time we're with them, its a good deal i reckon.
cool, how much is that a month?
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Kenji on 05-18-2007 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
its something to do with how close you live to your exchange i think, i you live really close to it you might get more, and there's the fact that you share it with up to 50 other people in your area[not all at the same time =p] so you have a fair usage policy. stupid contracts.
Yep, My exchange is about 5 shops/houses away from me, before orange decided to fuck up i used to get around 930KB/s sometimes with my 8mb/s connection. Now i get about 200KB/s if im lucky.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
quote:
Originally posted by ICD

Dont go near talktalk...

If youre going to change ISP, take a look at this list first: http://dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

As you can see, Talk Talk is right down the bottom.. So is my ISP, Orange.
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by joey on 05-18-2007 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
quote:
Originally posted by ICD

er, £20 i think cheap as you like lol.

click
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by M73A on 05-18-2007 at 09:14 AM

cool site!
wooo Sky is 22nd, bt is 30th good switch then :D

i really like sky, was just wondering how much it was a month because of the calls included/free

ARGH AOL are up in the 20's :@

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by joey on 05-18-2007 at 09:17 AM

strange how the [what seem to be] the biggest companies are mostly at the bottom end...8-)

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by John Anderton on 05-18-2007 at 09:30 AM

I wish we had a similar petition for India :(

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by Felu on 05-18-2007 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I wish we had a similar petition for India :(
Lets create one :cheesy:!
RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by kao on 05-19-2007 at 06:47 PM

Lol, my ISP is 33rd but I get 800kb/s download, I download hundreds of GB's a month without any problems and I have a 20:1 contention.

That list isn't totally accurate :gfdrin:

RE: Unlimited broadband petition thingy. by aNILEator on 05-19-2007 at 08:01 PM

I'm on talk talk, had loads of problems to start with but now it's all good, their email is pants though so get yourself a hotmail/gmail etc and you'll be fine