Shoutbox

google's new look - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: google's new look (/showthread.php?tid=74447)

google's new look by Rolando on 05-17-2007 at 03:52 AM

They put the    Web    Images    Video    News    Maps    Mail    more      on the top now :/ I personally hate it, do you like it better?

RE: google's new look by scott2010_h on 05-17-2007 at 03:56 AM

I was just about to make a thread for this. i dont like it. It looks odd at the top like that. i like the old way better

RE: google's new look by Rolando on 05-17-2007 at 04:02 AM

Is there a place to send them feedback? I can't find it. I really hate it :/ They should at least give the option to choose which to see if you're logged in!

RE: google's new look by NiteMare on 05-17-2007 at 04:04 AM

i don't see a differance

RE: google's new look by prashker on 05-17-2007 at 04:08 AM

iGoogle :cheesy:

RE: google's new look by WDZ on 05-17-2007 at 04:10 AM

I like the redesigned "Results x - x of about x" bar, but not the menu at the very top. Maybe I'll get used to it though. :p

Current screenshot, in case they're still messing with it

RE: google's new look by Kenji on 05-17-2007 at 04:41 AM

It looks crap, plus i have to moove my mouse all the way over to search for images :(

edit: oh, wdz beat me to the ss >.>

RE: google's new look by Rolando on 05-17-2007 at 04:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
It looks crap, plus i have to moove my mouse all the way over to search for images :(

edit: oh, wdz beat me to the ss >.>

yeah :/ Anyone know where you send feedback, like I said before?
RE: google's new look by Mike on 05-17-2007 at 04:55 AM

Still looks the same to me :S

RE: google's new look by Hank on 05-17-2007 at 05:25 AM

customise it? makes no diff to me. what it looks like, i just want it to search for whatever im looking for

RE: google's new look by Oxy on 05-17-2007 at 05:45 AM

I don't see anything new either...

RE: google's new look by -dt- on 05-17-2007 at 06:06 AM

I like it :)

RE: google's new look by M73A on 05-17-2007 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
goto .com

.co.uk is the same for me :P but .com is different
RE: google's new look by Lou on 05-17-2007 at 10:22 AM

It's fine if you use iGoogle.

http://www.dotlou.com/stuff/igoogle.png

RE: google's new look by Rolando on 05-17-2007 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
It's fine if you use iGoogle.

http://www.dotlou.com/stuff/igoogle.png

If I'm not wrong, that's google.ca not .com. It changed even in iGoogle for .com
RE: google's new look by Menthix on 05-17-2007 at 02:16 PM

Like it. The main interface changes aren't that spectacular... but the universal search they introduced along with it is pretty cool.

Article and screenshots about universal search

RE: google's new look by andrewdodd13 on 05-17-2007 at 02:19 PM

I like the way my personalised Google looks. Although I will admit from the screenshots of people without a customized Google, it's a bit too far to the top for my liking.

See attachment. (Don't want to break forum layout :p)

RE: google's new look by Menthix on 05-17-2007 at 02:57 PM

Most of your screenshots from iGoogle aren't showing the new style yet, google.com does show it:

New Google Classic (still the most sexy type of Google):
[Image: new_classic.png]

New iGoogle (on its way to get bloated like every other random site):
[Image: new_igoogle.png]

New iGoogle themed (pretty and colorful for the kids):
[Image: new_igoogle_themed.png]

New result pages:
[Image: new_results.png]

But like i said, i think the real news is in universal search on the result pages, screenshots:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/501384046_1b72294ece_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/501417591_82db750861_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/501417499_2041af126d_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/208/501384368_ffe913ed1e.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/501384232_f8f66ea80f_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/501418277_26a2afbdf6.jpg

RE: google's new look by Oxy on 05-17-2007 at 03:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
quote:
quote:
goto .com

.co.uk is the same for me :P but .com is different

Still nothing for me :P
RE: google's new look by Menthix on 05-17-2007 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Still nothing for me
Use http://www.google.com/ncr so it doesn't automatically change your region.
RE: google's new look by joemailey on 05-17-2007 at 03:26 PM

uk google aint changed.

if i try .com i get redirected to .co.uk so i don't care haha :D

RE: google's new look by Menthix on 05-17-2007 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
if i try .com i get redirected
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Use http://www.google.com/ncr so it doesn't automatically change
:p
RE: google's new look by joemailey on 05-17-2007 at 03:40 PM

[sarcasim]

ok, i'm p****d now.

i have to move my mouse an extra 5-10cm's to click the image link.
lol

Yea my life is ending as we know it :O

[/sarcasim]

RE: google's new look by FineWolf on 05-17-2007 at 04:43 PM

I "fixed" my iGoogle page a long time ago...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=817169]

RE: google's new look by albert on 05-17-2007 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
I like it :)

x2
RE: google's new look by Oxy on 05-17-2007 at 06:40 PM

quote:
quote:
Still nothing for me
Use http://www.google.com/ncr so it doesn't automatically change your region.

Ahh yes..
I quite like it tbh :)
RE: google's new look by L. Coyote on 05-17-2007 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
[sarcasim]

ok, i'm p****d now.

i have to move my mouse an extra 5-10cm's to click the image link.
lol

Yea my life is ending as we know it :O

[/sarcasim]
"sarcasim" kind of ruined it. :P I keep thinking it's a new Sim Expansion or something...

Anyway, personally, I don't care. It's not like I spend my days watching the Google main page. :P
RE: google's new look by Chocolatino on 05-17-2007 at 09:23 PM

nooooo....i just noticed it today and it sucks, it way to far to the top and it's annoying draging your mouse up there. I'll stick to the old one thank you.

RE: google's new look by duck! on 05-17-2007 at 09:34 PM

god you only have to move your mouse a little up the page 8-) How lazy are you people :P
I love it, it looks much more cleaner now

RE: google's new look by aNILEator on 05-17-2007 at 10:11 PM

nasty :S

www.foxsearch.co.nr ftw :P

RE: google's new look by Menthix on 05-17-2007 at 10:21 PM

For those complaining the Images/Video/News/Maps are further away now:
- Enter your query first and press enter, the links are closer to the query/input field on the result pages (even close than it was before the update).
- Are those links really further away anyway? They are closer to your browser buttons and URL bar now, and isn't that from where you enter google most of the time? There is no need to click the query/input field or bring your mousecursor even close to it. Google already puts focus on that field be default, you can type right after loading.
- Dazzy: What the hell do you maximize your browser window to 1920px for :P? Most sites will look like crap on such a size, or will show useless whitespace. I almost never have a browser window set wider than around 1024px. All sites will show fine without horizontal scrollbars, and it leaves space on your screen to multitask :).

quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatino
I'll stick to the old one thank you.
I don't think you will be able to, from what i understood it will be rolled out to all the domains.
RE: google's new look by Mavrik347 on 05-17-2007 at 11:58 PM

I don't mind it, find it handy that they've put it up there and it doesn't change the layout of the page.

RE: RE: google's new look by CookieRevised on 05-18-2007 at 12:43 AM

quote:
For those complaining the Images/Video/News/Maps are further away now:
- Enter your query first and press enter, the links are closer to the query/input field on the result pages (even close than it was before the update).
- Are those links really further away anyway? They are closer to your browser buttons and URL bar now, and isn't that from where you enter google most of the time? There is no need to click the query/input field or bring your mousecursor even close to it. Google already puts focus on that field be default, you can type right after loading.
- Dazzy: What the hell do you maximize your browser window to 1920px for :P? Most sites will look like crap on such a size, or will show useless whitespace. I almost never have a browser window set wider than around 1024px. All sites will show fine without horizontal scrollbars, and it leaves space on your screen to multitask :).
- no comment, but still...
- I don't use my browser buttons. Google is my homepage. Browser is as good as full screen (1100px wide), when I open a new tab (hotkey) my mouse is always closer to the middle of the screen than in the top left corner. It isn't about typing so much, but more about the look (it looks very ugly) and the easyness to first press a category and than enter your search item.
- It should still look decent and not half-arsed

:p

just making a monkey out of a fly here (free interpretation of that saying :p)... as long as they don't change it on the belgium google.... or I'll personally drive to Brussels and slap the four people who work there for Google... :p

RE: google's new look by Nagamasa on 05-19-2007 at 12:21 PM

quote:

RE: google's new look by Kenji on 05-19-2007 at 12:34 PM

quote:
- Dazzy: What the hell do you maximize your browser window to 1920px for (Smilie)? Most sites will look like crap on such a size, or will show useless whitespace. I almost never have a browser window set wider than around 1024px. All sites will show fine without horizontal scrollbars, and it leaves space on your screen to multitask (Smilie).
pfft, all i use that PC for is internets and movies :P

I dont want to wast teh pixels :(
RE: google's new look by Nathan on 05-19-2007 at 12:43 PM

BTW guys,
if you have not noticed it seems only to have the new design on the .com domain :P

RE: google's new look by Matti on 05-19-2007 at 01:30 PM

I don't think it looks that bad... I'm just happy Google Belgium didn't change yet. :P

quote:
Well, maybe someone works on a wide-screen resolution and someone maximizes his browser when he's browsing the web... 8-)
RE: google's new look by Rolando on 05-19-2007 at 06:16 PM

Btw, MenthiX: I was talking about the new "look" not the new features that came along with it :chrongue:

RE: google's new look by Menthix on 05-19-2007 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
someone works on a wide-screen resolution and someone maximizes his browser when he's browsing the web.
Yes, i know... i just never understood why you would want to do that.. Just like people maximizing their Messenger contact list on normal and even big resolutions. To me it doesn't really seem to add any value... except from big whitespaces / messed up layouts, or really wide lines that make you need to move your head a lot to read the text :).

Don't get me wrong, I do love big screens... But maximizing certain apps just doesn't make sense to me, I rather leave some space on the side for chats or other windows. But i'm just dodgy like that i guess :p.

quote:
Originally posted by q25
MenthiX: I was talking about the new "look" not the new features that came along with it
Kay, I do not dislike it, so my vote still counts :).
RE: google's new look by Thor on 05-19-2007 at 08:28 PM

I don't mind it, actually I think it's nice and gives the user options to go diffrent places on the globe-of-Google a bit quicker. :)

RE: google's new look by kao on 05-19-2007 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Don't get me wrong, I do love big screens... But maximizing certain apps just doesn't make sense to me, I rather leave some space on the side for chats or other windows. But i'm just dodgy like that i guess (Smilie).
That is not dodgy in any way at all. I usually have mIRC, Firefox, WLM contact list, utorrent and some wlm conversation windows open, none are ever maximized and I can usually read the part I need in all windows without switching focus. Why have a 1920x1200 capable monitor when you can only see one app at a time? =p

And personally, I always use iGoogle anyway =p