Shoutbox

pop account notification - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: pop account notification (/showthread.php?tid=74467)

pop account notification by hannubys on 05-17-2007 at 04:30 PM

Hi everyone. I have configured one pop email account in live plus and every time i receive a mail i got an error in middle of my desktop that displays

"Exception Processing Message 0xC000007b Parameters 0x759C023C 0x759C023C 0x759C023C" in title "Bad image"

then the popup notification is displayed.
An other thing, why it says the total number of mails instead of saying for example i have 3 news mails.
RE: pop account notification by CookieRevised on 05-17-2007 at 05:20 PM

What is your exact and complete version of Messenger Plus! and Messenger (see the 'About' window of both programs). Are you running XP, XP Pro, Vista, 32bit, 64bit? etc... Please provide such details...

What happens when you simply press the test button in the pop3 email configuration settings in Plus!? Do you get the same error then?

Do you have any other addons for Messenger installed? If so, try to disable or uninstall them.
Do you have any scripts for Messener Plus! Live installed? If so, try to disable all of them (long shot though).

Try to run Messenger Plus! Live with a clean unpatched and unmodified version of Messenger. If needed, reinstall Messenger.

------
PS: I can not confirm the error though. POP3 notification works absolutely perfect here in all Messenger Plus! builds...

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-17-2007 at 05:37 PM

I'm under vista 32 bit, i have the last version 8.1.0178.00 of messenger and the last Messenger Plus 4.21.270 when i press the test button it says the mail server has been contacted sucessfully. i have no add on, no scripts. I have already tried a clean install but the same thing occurs.

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 05-25-2007 at 09:25 PM

I have exactly the same problem

RE: pop account notification by Patchou on 05-25-2007 at 09:58 PM

Can you confirm this message is always displayed right before the "you've got xx emails" message from Messenger Plus" pops-up? it looks like this error comes from another program.

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 05-25-2007 at 10:35 PM

Yes it always comes up before a new email popup. As it is related to the email toast popup I thought that it must be messenger plus that causes it

RE: pop account notification by MattyRid on 05-25-2007 at 10:37 PM

normally these errors say the application somewhere, check if it says "msnmsgs.exe" or not. Also are you running any other messenger addons by chance (e.g stuffplug)

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 05-25-2007 at 10:40 PM

I am not running any other addons, just the base messenger plus. No scripts either. As the other guy said Vista is our OS and we have the latest messenger and messenger plus versions.

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 03:41 AM

I think this error depends of something else but i can't explain what. usually, i have kasperky, skype, firefox, ie running. kaspersky doesn't interfer( i made some test). or maybe with a windows service?? my friend have the same configuration and it's fine for her. I still don't understand. I can't track the source of the problem because it's just a pop up with this message.

I have something!! i don't have this error when my MS outlook is already open. And soon I close it this message appears. I don't know if it is a combination of circumstances but maybe this can help
RE: pop account notification by MattyRid on 05-26-2007 at 09:25 AM

OK tell me something...what have you set for once new emails are received? as in "Email Client".

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 09:27 AM

i didn't set the client. i let it empty. because my MS outlook is set on windows by default. my friend didn't set either and all is fine for her.

RE: pop account notification by MattyRid on 05-26-2007 at 09:48 AM

try setting it to MS Outlook anyway and see what happens.

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 09:53 AM

Yeah i try it. i'll do some observations during the next 5 fives hours and i tell you what

RE: pop account notification by MattyRid on 05-26-2007 at 09:56 AM

well does it work or what...the idea behind "see what happens" is for you to see if it happens again and report back if it doesn't

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 09:59 AM

for now all i can tell you it's the error doesn't appear. that seems good.

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 05-26-2007 at 10:34 AM

I have just changed the email client to Outlook and sent two test emails to myself from my hotmail account and it is fixed! Probably broke when M$ sent out their recent updates.

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 12:56 PM

So, i reboot my computer, start msn and unfortunately i still have this message. I really don't understand why sometime it's fine and later not. i also noticed that it didn't update my number of email, just like it doesn't check.

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 05-26-2007 at 01:35 PM

yep, mine has the same error after a reboot, how annoying. Just to compare my software is Vista 32 bit, Live Messenger 8.1.0178.00, Messenger Plus 4.21.0.270. Hardware wise I have a Core 2 Duo 6600, 8800GTX with 158.18 Vista 32 bit driver, etc etc

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 01:40 PM

Same version of msn and plus. I have a notebook amd turion 2G X700 catalyst 7.4 <= i don't think it's a hardware error but rather software. where ? i don't know

RE: pop account notification by CookieRevised on 05-26-2007 at 02:30 PM

When you recieve the toast telling you have new mail, Plus! can/will also change the Windows' recieved mail count in the registry. I start to get the feeling this is the problem (also because it doesn't happen when you click the test button in the pop3 preferences in Plus!), though this feeling can be completely wrong of course :p...

Something like you (Plus!) don't have the proper access rights to change it (typical stuff for Vista), or the location is slightly different for your Windows (would surprise me), or you even have a bad registry image, or whatever (all just guesses though)...

I don't know for sure anymore and I can't check, but I thought Plus! had some registry setting which could turn off the automatical update of Windows' new email count.

Would be nice to hear more about all this from Patchou.

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-26-2007 at 03:58 PM

I don't know if i well understood what you meant (i'm french) when you talk about change count in the registry!but maybe you talk about this; in vista we don't have in the log on screen "we have ?? new mails." so i can't tell you if it is updated in registry. when i click the test button in plus it contacts successfully the server. for now i can't determine the source of the problem it doesn't update the number of email.

I think i have spotted the problem. it's maybe due to the option "update the unread email in my windows account" and even if i uncheck it later i have still this error.
RE: pop account notification by matty on 05-28-2007 at 02:56 AM

Are you seeing the toast popup and clicking it to open a link/program?

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-28-2007 at 05:35 AM

yes, i can do it. I just realized that i didn't mention it in previous posts but this error is displayed 3 times consecutively then the toast appear.

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 05-31-2007 at 01:03 AM

any other ideas

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 06-07-2007 at 06:47 PM

It is still happening here too, even after the latest update

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 06-21-2007 at 06:41 PM

maybe patchou you can just add a checkbox to choose to display a info ballon instead of the toast to fix this problem

RE: pop account notification by MicroWay on 06-22-2007 at 01:51 AM

Sorry.... On the first page, you said that you have the latest Plus! version (as you said 4.21)

quote:
Originally posted by hannubys
i have the last version 8.1.0178.00 of messenger and the last Messenger Plus 4.21.270

BUT the real latest version of Plus! is 4.23!!!
Get it on: http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/

If I'm not wrong Patchou made bug fixes and other changes on this version for the people who uses Vista or WLM 8,5 (or something like that)... Don't remember well :$
;)
RE: pop account notification by ahmetgns on 06-22-2007 at 06:55 AM

We should have the habit of checking threads' or posts' dates, MicroWay. Probably hannubys already have the 4.23 (the last version for the time being).

And even if you can't remember what has been done for new versions, check Change Log of Messenger Plus! (it is also accessible by the link on About Messenger Plus!... window of the software).

And hunnubys, your editing on your first post:

quote:
An other thing, why it says the total number of mails instead of saying for example i have 3 news mails.
It is normal, i.e., there is nothing wrong with it. Because Messenger Plus! reports the total e-mail number, not only unread (new) mail number. Though it is somehow misleading but I suggest you to move your read messages to a new folder which can be named "Read E-mails". Then MsgPlus! will show the unread mail number correctly. EDIT: Sorry for not giving all the details about how a POP3 mail system should work and how POP3 systems of some mail servers work and how Messenger Plus! retrieve the mail count. And you mustn't add new questions by editting your posts after a couple of days, or even after a couple of hours. Because if your post is replied, then people are concentrated on the replies and may not notice your editings on your first post.

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 06-22-2007 at 12:42 PM

ok. Also i already did the update to the 4.23 but still have the problem

RE: pop account notification by MicroWay on 06-22-2007 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
We should have the habit of checking threads' or posts' dates, MicroWay.....
And even if you can't remember what has been done for new versions, check Change Log of Messenger Plus! (it is also accessible by the link on About Messenger Plus!... window of the software).
I've checked the date AND the whole thread if anyone told him to update to 4.23... :P Anyway... let's help him... :)
About the Versions Log, my mistake... :S

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
When you recieve the toast telling you you have new mail, Plus! can/will also change the Windows' recieved mail count in the registry. I start to get the feeling this is the problem (also because it doesn't happen when you click the test button in the pop3 preferences in Plus!), though this feeling can be completely wrong of course :p...

Something like you (Plus!) don't have the proper access rights to change it (typical stuff for Vista), or the location is slightly different for your Windows (would surprise me), or you even have a bad registry image, or whatever (all just guesses though)...

I don't know for sure anymore and I can't check, but I thought Plus! had some registry setting which could turn of the automatical update of Windows' new email count.

Would be nice to hear more about all this from Patchou.
I'm starting to think that Cookie is right... Anyway, on this point, let's wait for Patchou answer... :S

RE: pop account notification by Sad Nation on 06-24-2007 at 11:45 AM

I have updated my messenger live to version 8.5.1238.0601 BETA and my messenger plus to version 4.23.0.276. I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

I still have the same error. Is it anything to do with messenger live and mesenger plus both trying to do a popup toast at the same time? If I turn off "display popup notifications" in messenger plus the error goes away which is how it is currently configured.

RE: RE: pop account notification by CookieRevised on 06-24-2007 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
And hunnubys, your editing on your first post:
quote:
It is normal, i.e., there is nothing wrong with it. Because Messenger Plus! reports the total e-mail number, not only unread (new) mail number.
*sigh* :rolleyes:Completely WRONG. If you don't know something, do NOT post... And if you post, VERIFY what you say.

quote:
Plus! retrieves the new email count for the POP3 account. So whatever the POP3 server reports back, Plus! shows...

In normal cases, and with a POP3 which completely follows the POP3 standard, the returned amount of emails is the amount of the unread emails.

However! There are several POP3 accounts which instead return the total number of emails in your inbox, read or not. For example the GMail POP3 accounts do this (they do not follow the POP3 standard completely), see also Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations.

So, in order to get the proper number of unread emails you need to remove all read emails from your inbox, either deleting them on the server or either move them to another folder on the server.

In other words, this has got nothing todo with Plus! at all (like ahmetgns suggested); Plus! simply returns the number it gets from the POP3 server. If the POP3 server returns a wrong number, Plus! will show a wrong number.
RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 07-02-2007 at 05:34 PM

Let see what patchou think about the balloon tray instead of the toast

RE: pop account notification by CookieRevised on 07-03-2007 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hannubys
Let see what patchou think about the balloon tray instead of the toast
That isn't going to solve anything. In case you encounter that error, you would still recieve that error when balloon tips are shown.

A "balloon tip" is just another way of displaying something, nothing more.

As such I very much doubt Patchou is going to change the standard method of showing notification messages in toasts in favor of balloon tips.
RE: pop account notification by Patchou on 07-11-2007 at 12:08 AM

Follow-up: apparently, the problem is related to a bug in Spyware Doctor. http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=74...d=832870#pid832870

RE: pop account notification by hannubys on 07-11-2007 at 04:28 PM

I don't have Spyware Doctor. I also noticed that sometimes it works fine but not for good

RE: pop account notification by CookieRevised on 07-13-2007 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scary674
morning there. so i reinstalled clean windows and all other now. without any spybot programs etc. messenger is only patched with messbe for the ads. and then mesg plus live addon. but the error comes still too when i recieve any new mails.

so i think its a bug in msg plus live, since messenger live beta1 from windows update, so that will not be compatible...
Please stop making cross posts...
Scary674's reply to Bug with email checker and Vista
Scary674's reply to Big Problem with msg plus since few days

Keep it to one thread only!

(And always provide enough detailed information)

-------------

For further reference, see Bug with email checker and Vista