Shoutbox

microsoft's anti linux propaganda - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: microsoft's anti linux propaganda (/showthread.php?tid=74530)

microsoft's anti linux propaganda by Supersonicdarky on 05-20-2007 at 03:11 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/getthefacts/default.mspx

is microsoft impudent or what? i think we all know linux would be more stable/secure/cheaper than a windows server.

* Supersonicdarky slaps microsoft around a bit with a large trout.

RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by -dt- on 05-20-2007 at 03:14 AM

and linux people haven't been doing propaganda against microsoft for years? :P

RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by Supersonicdarky on 05-20-2007 at 03:17 AM

well at least its based on _real_ facts =(

RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by L. Coyote on 05-20-2007 at 03:21 AM

All this is because of Dell and Ubuntu. Microsoft is starting to worry because they can't sell enough Vista, and because people are starting to realize they can use something other than Windows just as easily.

RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by ShawnZ on 05-20-2007 at 03:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
All this is because of Dell and Ubuntu. Microsoft is starting to worry because they can't sell enough Vista, and because people are starting to realize they can use something other than Windows just as easily.

is that why getthefacts has been around for years? :p

edit: and why dell has been selling redhat with their computers for even longer? :p
RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by MeEtc on 05-20-2007 at 03:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
All this is because of Dell and Ubuntu.
not quite
I received an email about this way back in November, before the Ubuntu announcement, and had Microsoft mail me a package about it. I didn't pay any attention to it, I just wanted to enter the draw for a free mp3 player :P
RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by CookieRevised on 05-20-2007 at 11:40 AM

I don't see anything wrong on those pages. I do see propaganda tough, like ANY other company would do.
But the things written on those pages are actually not wrong, they just don't give the complete picture, objectivly from both sides (which company would do that anyways to advertise their product?).

Also remember that it isn't only about stability, but also about the easyness of use. You can all argue that using *nix is easier, but the fact is that it isn't. A random person knowing nothing or not much about computers will find it easier to start with Windows than with *nix.
Also, a system engineer for *nix is harder to find and costs more than one for a Windows based system. All these things need to be taken in account. Hence why you see such lines as "With the Linux-based platform we would have a system crash at least once a week (because they don't have the knowhow to make it stable) Migrating to a Microsoft-based system has virtually eliminated server crashes and we have vendor support (There is much better official support for Windows than for *nix)."

RE: microsoft's anti linux propaganda by Volv on 05-20-2007 at 02:10 PM

I think this isn't as bad as some other advertising out there...
Let's not forget Mac's anti Microsoft propaganda :p