Shoutbox

Looking for 100% Portable Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=74684)

Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 05-25-2007 at 04:39 PM

Hi everyone, first ever post here, so greetings everyone ;)

I've registered to this forum because it's been a while since i started looking for a completely portable messenger... And by portable, what i really mean, is that it doesn't require any installation, but most important: there can't be register modification...

I've seen a few messengers here on this forum, that claim to be portable... but they actually access and modify the register....

do you any of you guys know any messenger that is actually 100% completely portable?, with no installation and no register-modification whatsoever?

Thanks in advance ;)

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by Phillip on 05-25-2007 at 05:01 PM

WLM Lite. I'm pretty sure this version needs WLM installed to function properly.

Version 8.0.0812 does not and can be downloaded here:

Download Link I could only find a link to download it sorry. I know people like to know what they are downloading.

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 05-25-2007 at 05:16 PM

hey Phillip, thanks for the quick response ;)

i'll look into that one, i'll certainly check it out...

by the way, have you heard of this one ? : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/gaim_portable

Now i'll test the one you've mentioned ;)

Thanks again !!! :)

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by andrewdodd13 on 05-25-2007 at 05:17 PM

I don't think that's what he's looking for, Phillip...

GAIM (Now known as Pidgin) Portable is a totally portable (ie, doesn't touch the registry) MSN and other chat protocols program.

Edit: Bleh, one minute before me :p. Yes, GAIM portable is good. I use GAIM on Linux and it's very stable.

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 05-26-2007 at 12:05 AM

Hi Andrew, thanks for your entry ;)

Yes, i've tried that one, and it's ok... I mean, it's not like having the real msn installed, but what the heck... It's pretty good... file transfers aren't friendly at all, but the overall idea is ok, and that's ok with me...

I'm gonna stick to this one for a while, until i find another one, or i decide to install the traditional msn 7.5, with permission of my boss of course... :P

cheers all, and thanks for your time...

see ya.

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by Eddie on 05-26-2007 at 07:59 AM

Eh heres a portable version of the Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0718 :) If you want it that is :) here

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 05-26-2007 at 12:55 PM

Hi Eddie, thanks for your input...

Yeah, i've came across that version too, and Phillip mentioned that site as well... The thing is, that after reading the comments on that site, i learned that a lot of pple were having some issues running that app on their computers (which, like mine, do not have any msn version installed), because it tried to find some dlls...

Phillip linked me to another release, that in theory, should work just ok... But as i said before, i've encountered Gaim, and so far so good... It's not like MSN, but it's pretty close too.

So, for the moment i'm using Gaim Portable; but i'll download those from that site, and check them out some other time, at my home's pc... I don't want to try stuff on this notebook, because it's the one my company gave me... ;)

Thanks again for your time, and if any of you have any experience using WLM Portable, feel free to share them with us.

Cheers.

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by NanaFreak on 05-26-2007 at 01:47 PM

http://ebuddy.com | http://meebo.com | http://iloveim.com

there are 3 good ones =\

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 05-26-2007 at 04:48 PM

Hi Nana.

While i know that those sites provide a fully portable access to messenger, i must point that those are web-based applications, and has many weak points (such as ad banners, the way the windows are created (they're still IE / FF windows, can't hide in the systray), and so on)...

I used them a couple of times, but their accesibility is pretty limited... That's why i started looking for real portable applications, and not those web-based one ;)

thanks anyway, but that's not what i'm looking for... :)

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by aNILEator on 05-26-2007 at 05:03 PM

Wonder if you could thinstall/Portablise Msgplus with WLM and Flash all in one tidy little app *-)

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by absorbation on 05-26-2007 at 06:07 PM

You can't have a portable Windows Live Messenger because is heavily relies on registry entries. You can use alternative clients (like GAIM which you have come across) otherwise I wouldn't bother using anything else. Web Messengers are ideal if the network you are working on doesn't block the websites :).

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by aNILEator on 05-26-2007 at 07:40 PM

at college they blocked off the webmessengers (using the complete webmessenger block details documented somewhere on the web...) Some ones I can sign in on but then can't do anything others are completely blocked off

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 05-27-2007 at 06:50 PM

yes, web messengers are an option... but to me, the last one :P

one thing i don't quite understand: why you people always talk about the "live" versions of MSN?. I still have the 7.5 version, and i have no intention to update it (at least, until uncle Bill force me to)... I've installed the Live version, and i have to say, i didn't like it :S... I don't think it actually has anything to do with the portable side of these apps, because both versions relay a lot on windows' register....

Anyway, i'm still using Gaim when i'm on my laptop. Haven't been able to test the other options (that version of WLM that ppl say it actually works ok), had my mind on other things

Thanks again for your time, ideas, and inputs ;)

Cheers all

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by surfichris on 05-28-2007 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
You can't have a portable Windows Live Messenger because is heavily relies on registry entries. You can use alternative clients (like GAIM which you have come across) otherwise I wouldn't bother using anything else. Web Messengers are ideal if the network you are working on doesn't block the websites :).
You can build portable apps of WLM/Messenger.

However you need to use an application such as Thinstall/MojoPac which are designed to "virtualize" the application and intercept any registry or file calls and redirect them to the appropriate place.

Thinstall - http://www.thinstall.com/
MojoPac - http://www.mojopac.com
RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 06-01-2007 at 07:27 PM

i have a question... is there any way to know for sure if a program access / modify the register?..

i mean, is it out there a software than can analize if a program can in fact access the register?...

that'd be lovely, but i can't find it... i don't even know if it actually exist something like that...

i've several versions of portables msn, but don't want to try them yet on my laptop...

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by Mike on 06-01-2007 at 08:46 PM

Try RegMon for that :)

RE: RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 06-02-2007 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Try RegMon for that :)

That's just great!

Thanks you so much for your input!, that was exactly what i was looking for... i'll try all the versions i have with that soft, and hopefully, at least one will be really portable...

Something is telling me that the log will be very very long :P

I will keep updated about this one ;)

Thanks again
RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by SaNdY on 06-02-2007 at 08:20 PM

well, excuse me for this double posting thing... but that's the only way the thread will look active ;)

i've tested all the "portable" versions of msn i have, i have even tested the gaim version with the RegMon... And to my surprise, there's a LOT of exchange between the application, and the registry.

basically, there's a lot of reading and such things, but there are just a few "create" and "setvalue" too... those aren't majority, but there is some registry modification.

i think most of that traffic is "normal", and it's not something that will leave some kind of trace behind...

even gaim, i was surprised to see that it generate a lot of input / ouput registry movement.

what i've noticed, is that the versions made from MSN standard installation, generate more exchange; and the Gaim version, fewer lines.

the thing is, that this version of gaim, ain't that stable... in fact, it's pretty unstable sometimes. I read somewhere, that the final version will be released any time now.

So, there you go, that's it.

Thanks you all for your time, and inputs ;)

RE: Looking for 100% Portable Messenger by Jarrod on 06-06-2007 at 06:12 AM

i set up a http tunnel and used trillian