Shoutbox

Slow uTorrent download speed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Slow uTorrent download speed (/showthread.php?tid=74745)

Slow uTorrent download speed by shrav/oo7` on 05-27-2007 at 01:30 PM

i'm trying to download a few torrents using uTorrent but i'm getting crappy speeds (max 30kB/s). I did a speed test and my max speed is around 5.4Mb/s and my upload is around 0.25Mb/s. I tried a few different torrents even one's with 1000+ seeds but my speed didn't go up. I'm using a Motorola Cable Modem SURFboard SB5100. I checked to see if my port was working, changed them several times as well (all of them were working fine). I also put forced encryption and unchecked the allow incoming legacy connection box.

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by rix on 05-27-2007 at 03:04 PM

Ensure that you don't get "rejected by tracker - Port xxxx is blacklisted" error message. Also, be sure you have turned off Windows Firewall.

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Ptoye on 05-27-2007 at 07:12 PM

I have te exact same problems! my limewire goes at 1kb/s!!

when i go to the dell website and download dell connect, it goes at download speeds of 1.2MB/s!

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Val on 05-27-2007 at 07:35 PM

This could be because your ISP throttling your connection. Are you sure that you didn't cap your download speed inside of uTorrent? Check your preferences carefully.

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by kao on 05-27-2007 at 07:54 PM

Which ISP are you with?

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Ptoye on 05-27-2007 at 08:20 PM

sorry for stealing thread :P

talk talk, i have no limits in utorrent or limewire :S

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Woraug on 05-28-2007 at 12:32 AM

Are you using a router?  If so, make sure you have the port uTorrent is using open.

RE: RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
Ensure that you don't get "rejected by tracker - Port xxxx is blacklisted" error message. Also, be sure you have turned off Windows Firewall.

Don't disable your windows firewall.

quote:
[i]originally posted by Ptoye[i]
I have te exact same problems! my limewire goes at 1kb/s!!

when i go to the dell website and download dell connect, it goes at download speeds of 1.2MB/s!

What is TalkTalk fair usage?

Our fair use policy is designed to ensure your service is fast and reliable 24 hours a day. A very small number of customers use file-sharing software (commonly known as "peer to peer" or P2P) or other applications, which constantly send and receive video and other very large files.

This type of activity uses a huge amount of bandwidth and can significantly reduce the speed at which our other customers can access the Internet, especially at peak times

Our fair use policy restricts this high bandwidth activity in peak hours to allow the majority of customers to use their broadband connection for normal residential usage (I.e: surfing, e-mail, online gaming etc). This allows us to give you a high quality service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Talk Talk
Talk talk is cheap for a reason, Most ISP's have fair useage policy. Restrict your speed. NTL is one of few ISP's in the UK that offer unlimited bandwidth and no throttles.

Utorrent to me isn't as good as Vuze formaly Azureus.

If you have router, Make sure you have port forwarding on for the port your torrent software is using.

Take into account if your on ADSL if its at a weekend your exchangeis probably overloaded like most peoples. Hence your slow speeds.

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by shrav/oo7` on 05-28-2007 at 10:45 AM

thanks for your replies guys, i don't get an error message about a port being blacklisted. I put 0 in my download limit (which means it's unlimited), my ISP doesn't throttle my torrents, all my ports seem to be working fine, i tested them and the website said they were working fine. I'm not even using windows firewall but norton antivirus, i don't think norton has anything to do with it becuase it already asked if i wanted to permit or block uTorrent and the ports. As for the peak hours thing, i'm not sure if my ISP does control bandwidth or not, that could be the casuse. I doubt it though because I don't see any such thing on the website.

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by John Anderton on 05-28-2007 at 11:23 AM

Are you sure that the torrent you're leaching has good enough seeders to give you good speeds? :)

RE: RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shrav/oo7`
thanks for your replies guys, i don't get an error message about a port being blacklisted. I put 0 in my download limit (which means it's unlimited), my ISP doesn't throttle my torrents, all my ports seem to be working fine, i tested them and the website said they were working fine. I'm not even using windows firewall but norton antivirus, i don't think norton has anything to do with it becuase it already asked if i wanted to permit or block uTorrent and the ports. As for the peak hours thing, i'm not sure if my ISP does control bandwidth or not, that could be the casuse. I doubt it though because I don't see any such thing on the website.

#
Who is your ISP ?
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Kenji on 05-28-2007 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
NTL is one of few ISP's in the UK that offer unlimited bandwidth and no throttles.
There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=40005
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 12:52 PM

quote:
There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth.

There is no bandwidth limit. Theres a throttle. but no bandwidth limit. :-)

NTL was no throttle until virgin took over.
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Kenji on 05-28-2007 at 12:55 PM

quote:
There is no bandwidth limit. Theres a throttle. but no bandwidth limit. (Smilie)
I say it again, There is no such thing as Unlimited broadband. Go over a certain amount and youre either capped or cut off.
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by shrav/oo7` on 05-29-2007 at 08:44 AM

sorry guys i can't say who my ISP is, u know, internet safety reasons. Anyway my torrents seem to have picked up a bit of speed, it went up to 70kB/s, i think my ISP might be lowering my bandwidth or something during peak hours because it picked up speed at around 3pm where as at night it went at around 30kB/s. Just one question (this might sound really noob) how do i tell if i have a router or not?8-)

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by joemailey on 05-29-2007 at 09:02 AM

Well router will allow you to connect multiple computers to your internet connection.
Also lately nearly every router you buy enables wireless access.

you can tell by looking at what the little box is your pc connects to :-)

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Kenji on 05-29-2007 at 09:02 AM

quote:
sorry guys i can't say who my ISP is, u know, internet safety reasons.
Safety reasons?
quote:
Just one question (this might sound really noob) how do i tell if i have a router or not?8-)
Routers are either wireless or connect via an ethernet port. You can use more than one PC on the same connection.

If it just connects by a USB modem, then you don't have a router..
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by shrav/oo7` on 05-29-2007 at 12:39 PM

oh, i have a modem thats connected to 1 computer through the ethernet port so is it a router?

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Volv on 05-29-2007 at 01:07 PM

quote:
oh, i have a modem thats connected to 1 computer through the ethernet port so is it a router?
If it only allows a single connection (ie. there's only one port which you can plug a computer into) then it is not a router (unless it supports wireless connections - you can usually tell by whether it as an antenna or not :p).
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by shrav/oo7` on 05-30-2007 at 11:24 AM

its got a slot for ethernet, which is already being used by my computer and 1 slot for USB but it doesn't have an antenna so i'm guessing its just a plain old modem the model is Motorola SURFboard SB5100. I shouldn't need to be doing any port forwading, should I?

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Pyroteq on 05-30-2007 at 11:39 AM

I have the same model modem as you, but i am using a router aswell. You are not using a router.
If you have norton antivirus, then have you configured your port forwarding?
Also, are you downloading a popular torrent? If you are downloading one with a small number of seeds (people sending you the file) it will tend to go slower than other torrents.

Try heading over to P2P Forums they will be able to help you better with this issue than here.

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by sylar on 05-31-2007 at 10:31 PM

Do you run Windows Vista? Vista blocks new connections if many connections failed to connect. And what is the whole idea behind torrents? MANY connections. So there's your answer, uninstall windows Vista :p (same goes for other P2P programs).

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Pyroteq on 06-01-2007 at 03:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sylar
Do you run Windows Vista? Vista blocks new connections if many connections failed to connect. And what is the whole idea behind torrents? MANY connections. So there's your answer, uninstall windows Vista :p (same goes for other P2P programs).

Windows XP also limits your open connection limit to 10 connections, this is bad for all p2p applications, or if you have many web pages open.. However there is a fix for that, i dont have the link to it but you should be able to find it on P2P Forums
RE: RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by sylar on 06-01-2007 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyroteq
quote:

Windows XP also limits your open connection limit to 10 connections, this is bad for all p2p applications, or if you have many web pages open.. However there is a fix for that, i dont have the link to it but you should be able to find it on P2P Forums

True, however you can still have more than 10 connections. It's more of a security if many connections are connecting fast. But googling on event id 4226 will help.
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Pyroteq on 06-02-2007 at 04:47 AM

quote:
True, however you can still have more than 10 connections. It's more of a security if many connections are connecting fast. But googling on event id 4226 will help.

Yeah thats the one.
Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage' from there, select 'Event Viewer' and 'System' Do you see any warnings (yellow exclamation mark) with the event number 4226? If you see this error frequently you will need to change your limit of open connections with the patch i mentioned earlier.
RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Jarrod on 06-02-2007 at 05:21 AM

best port for torrenting is 80, 8080 or 443 cos your isp doesn't throttle them:p

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by John Anderton on 06-02-2007 at 04:39 PM

80 is used to tcp. I assume it *might* cause some problems if you use them for both your browser and uTorrent.
I have done it before and it worked fine but just not at full speed O.o

RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by Jarrod on 06-03-2007 at 12:41 AM

no probs hereand my torrent speeds are as fast as my server download speeds;
which still is only 56kbs

RE: RE: Slow uTorrent download speed by rav0 on 06-04-2007 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
quote:
There is no bandwidth limit. Theres a throttle. but no bandwidth limit. (Smilie)
I say it again, There is no such thing as Unlimited broadband. Go over a certain amount and youre either capped or cut off.

Not actually :).