Shoutbox

[split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP (/showthread.php?tid=74774)

RE: Did Microsoft love Windows Vista Messenger's ideas? by Lux on 05-27-2007 at 11:39 PM

yeah....but the first XP sucked also! :D same will be with the vista...later it could be something good of it :)

RE: Did Microsoft love Windows Vista Messenger's ideas? by Supersonicdarky on 05-27-2007 at 11:41 PM

i reverted to xp too, but then i switched to ubuntu

vista will never run on this machine again =]

RE: Did Microsoft love Windows Vista Messenger's ideas? by Lux on 05-27-2007 at 11:43 PM

well...I have a question......can evrythng work on ubuntu? I downloaded it, and i about to instal it.....so...is it better than XP? is there any bad things? :)

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 09:43 AM

yes there bad things.

Do you like gaming? = ubuntu linux don't why? most game makers targets windows.

Ubuntu is good for i dunno lol surfing? word proccessing? web hosting?

But then again wats windows not do that ubuntu does?

they all do same stuff just look different. but looks disappear after awhile.

i have vista desktop n vista laptop. n ubuntu machine.

yea sure vista requires high spec pc.

but its market drive. if u didnt have software to run on pcs. u wudnt have a need for fancey games, graphics etc. so everything works to gether. M$ = fancey os's n high spec.

hardware manufactures get more money as pc market expands to meet the high spec demand of vista (a)

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 09:50 AM

the only reason id get windows, is to use MP!L caws patchou hasnt realised that windows is crap yet :P

but the amount of free alternatives to most programs for windows is enormous! and [usually] if you get linux/ubuntu, it comes with an emulator called wine, which runs some NOT ALL windows programs.

its a hackers favourite too =p and there's no known viruses/worms because of the way linux was made. so its pretty secure too. id recommend it, and if its a good pc/laptop get Beryl. youtube it.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 10:11 AM

there's no known viruses/worms - Well why target something thats not the most popular o/s in the world?

The same thing was say about Firefox, Max osx and others.

but yet they've gained on M$ oh n wat do we see now worms n viruses and loopholes being found.

Do you think if linux was number one O/S in the world it wouldnt have daily viruses and worms?

Quite frankly its wrong. as soon as it becomes very popular it will all end up in same boat as M$. virus after virus after virus n worms.

Main thing for linux is its free. Well so is windows u usually get it free when you buy a new pc.

i use both. don't see the big advantage for picking ubuntu over windows.  all do the same things in my eyes.

an all the stuff is free in my eyes 2.(can be got one way or another everyone knows it.)

i have paid for some software but nothing more than £20. Only because i loved the program so much  :)

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 10:17 AM

if it was insecure like windows is, i doubt it would be the most popular server OS, and its increasing popularity on the desktop front too. with the ability to do the same things that windows can.

and its the way that linux was built right at the beginning that made it inherently secure. its waaaaay safer than windows trust me =p

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Volv on 05-28-2007 at 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
the only reason id get windows, is to use MP!L caws patchou hasnt realised that windows is crap yet :p
Not to mention that it would be just a tiny bit stupid to get an addon for Windows Live Messenger working on Linux.
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 10:25 AM

make one for aMSN, gaim[now known as pidgin], kopete.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 10:25 AM

Not saying it isnt safer. i'm just saying u can hack anything. if u put same amount of hackers on to linux os as on a windows os it would be hacked.

Most popular server O/S ? thats true.
But let me see. you hear about hackers hacking sites all the time. and hosting is constantly being targetted.

but then how do u hack something in a Data centre ? behind a hardware firewalls?(remember its fully qualified professionals behind most servers.)

Why is it the most popular? Price.

PHP free, Support ? openly free, Projects and pre built software tons n tons of it.

Mysql, free.

perl, free.

apache free.

Automated hosting account creation n billing managers and anything esle u can think of. Its all there.
Linux has been used for hosting sites for years n years. same way windows has been used on desktops for years and years.
Hosting using open source is free. basically all your paying is server cost. try buying a copy of windows 2003 enterprise that removes a memory limited it costs thousands. why spend that for license on all your servers? when you can get free o/s to do same job?

server vs desktop , linux has always been known for server O/S. windows for desktop.

Main thing linux needs for major boost in the markets. is good hardware support + they need major game titles for they O/S.
Once that happens there's nothing stopping anyone switchin to linux.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
server vs desktop , linux has always been known for server O/S. windows for desktop.

Main thing linux needs for major boost in the markets. is good hardware support + they need major game titles for they O/S.
Once that happens there's nothing stopping anyone switchin to linux.

just because windows is more popular for the desktop, that doesn't make it better, and thats what most people get wrong. They get taught to use ONLY windows in school, you buy a pc, it comes with windows etc. i think governments should do something to tackle it. its costs school,colleges and uni's thousands to use windows on each pc, and thats even with the licsense to let you put it on more than one pc.

or, get ubuntu/linux or whatever. one CD, as many pc's as you like. No licenses no legal issues, and its safer, and just as user-friendly.

as for games - a few big games for windows are in the progress of being ported to linux, it takes time and hasn't been going long, but still at least people are trying to get unix into the mainstream.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 11:12 AM

Depends what you prefer. I prefer windows. Is it better?

In my opinion yes. Did i learn to use it in school? nope. i didnt learn to use it in school.
Pcs in schools don't really cost thousands. Each PC has its own copy of windows. So you don't really need a license for windows.

Now the software you run on windows like office etc will cost. But whats stopping people from using open office?

I still prefer office 2003 or 2007.

So its down to what people prefer. I prefer windows and office on my Main home PC and my Laptop.  most linux apps now work on PC. So its just gonna be down to what comes pre installed on the PC you buy. at this moment and time dell offer both OS's.

So that will be the key efffect on the World of OS's.

Safer is main linux cry. Bit like firefox cried out over explorer we're safer.

Only M$ virus i can remember getting alot of people on windows was blaster. Alot of the viruses on windows happen because end user isn't educated.  What is stopping that happening on linux? When hackers n virus writers turn on that?

Lets face it most of the stuff is created as a challenge. like an internal competition. to see who can hack/break/cripple it first between different groups. Linux will be one hell of fresh challenge.

You no best bit about it? Linux source code. you can get your hands on the source code. :-)

Firefox is prime example of being secure. then a prime example of getting hacked once it got close to being popular :) still getting bigger and still getting hacked.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 11:29 AM

yeah ive always wanted to learn scripting languages and make my own mini-OS. would be fun to do in my spare time time :P

upgrading, like my school did/are[dont go anymore] to XP cost them thousands, and it took them about 3years in total.

the main reason you dont learn to use Open Office, is because, MS office is just everywhere, people dont know of any other option. they dont want to learn something new, just because they think it'll be a lot different to what they know, which is just untrue.

and the safest web browser out is opera. i wish it was more popular =p

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 11:35 AM

Not so long ago Firefox was.

Again its the unpopular that is the most secure.
You seeing the pattern here? or is it just me.
Example.
People download movies. you ever see how the most popular movie is always found before the not so popular movie?

You ever tried to find a movie that not so many people have heard of? Quite hard in some cases.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 11:51 AM

city of god. the best film ive ever seen even though its in portugese. english is my only language and i dont know that very well! :P

its a shame the good things never get the regognition they deserve:linux, open office, opera, loads of others =p

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Lux on 05-28-2007 at 12:35 PM

well.....i dunno a lot of op. sysstems, but I do know one thing.....which os do you think yheu use for space shutlles?

well....it is not WINDOWS, i am sure of that, and it IS special version of LINUX, I AM suer ;) :) :D...i think that NASA wouldn't like to risk having some kind of windows for space shuttles, cuz AMAZING probabylty of crashung [ bouth os and the suttle :P ]

i never ever have seen the any kind of linux os, only in some clips, and i'll probably try it sooner or later....

and btw I LIKE OPERA! IE and mozzila [ not so much as IE ] sucksssssssss!

so...linux is mych more secure im sure of that....so i read all thing you have wrote here, and i don't wanna use ubuntu yet cuz the msg+ can[t run on it :( :'(

but, I'll instal it on lap top, or the other hard drive on this machine......

pih! it's all so confusing.....:S:S:S:S

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Volv on 05-28-2007 at 12:41 PM

I would have to assume that NASA uses its own system designed specifically for their shuttles from scratch and if they were to use either Windows and Linux, they wouldn't choose linux for stability, they would choose linux because it is open source and allows them to make modifications how they want whereas Windows is a completed (haha) package. Also, Windows isn't any more or less stable than Linux nowadays, it's the software in use which causes instability...

RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
city of god. the best film ive ever seen even though its in portugese. english is my only language and i dont know that very well! :P

its a shame the good things never get the regognition they deserve:linux, open office, opera, loads of others =p

Don't worry i know alot of free stuff and use a lot of it.
Just comparing to how things work. Bigger it gets more attention it draws to its self.
Just how it works, you don't target small things. Windows is used in big companies so targeting that will get you much more of an effect than targeting a small group of linux users.

You can't really say which is better and which is not in all, You can say what you prefer but not which is better.

They all do the same thing at the end of the day. Windows does somethings easier than linux and linux does some stuff easier than windows. End result is nearly the same in all ocassions just done differently.
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 12:44 PM

get aMSN, or pidgin they're really good. i use them both. and Ubuntu roxes!!!!

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Lux on 05-28-2007 at 12:50 PM

some kind of linux is used in space, by NASA and the  European Space Agency....google if uu don't thrust me, or click HERE!

yeah, I'm usre that ubuntu roxes ICD, but i don't like cuz msg+ can't be used, but I'll try ubuntu with the aMSN and pidgin maybe in these days....

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Volv on 05-28-2007 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Luka88bg
some kind of linux is used in space, by NASA and the  European Space Agency....google if uu don't thrust me, or click HERE!
Well like I also said, I doubt that it was chosen because of stability, it is most likely because it is open source providing them with a base system to start with and allowing them to make their own modifications (which they most likely did) and because it is not prepackaged software which comes with a very specific user interface and cannot be modified.
RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joemailey on 05-28-2007 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
Well like I also said, I doubt that it was chosen because of stability, it is most likely because it is open source providing them with a base system to start with and allowing them to make their own modifications (which they most likely did) and because it is not prepackaged software which comes with a very specific user interface and cannot be modified.

Someone else with points on linux, i was going to post the same thing :-)
RE: RE: Did Microsoft love Windows Vista Messenger's ideas? by Verte on 05-28-2007 at 07:31 PM

quote:
well...I have a question......can evrythng work on ubuntu? I downloaded it, and i about to instal it.....so...is it better than XP? is there any bad things? :)

It took me a while to work out how to get games running under Linux. It takes an extra minute or so to get some Windows applications to work. I did document a few things you might want to know though, in my LJ. Since I worked it out I haven't had any problems, but still, YMMV.

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
there's no known viruses/worms - Well why target something thats not the most popular o/s in the world?

The same thing was say about Firefox, Max osx and others.

but yet they've gained on M$ oh n wat do we see now worms n viruses and loopholes being found.

Why target an OS that's said to be more secure? Not only would you bring down more servers if viruses targetted Linux or a Unix, but you would get extra geek points for writing the first widespread  Unix virus.

There was a worm for OOo going around not long ago, because the designers stupidly leave macros turned on by default [why office documents need hard drive access is beyond me], which if I'm not mistaken is also a feature of MS Office products. Otherwise, there isn't much in the way of [real] Linux sploits.

But that's not the point. Too many big companies rely on software like Linux for them not to check that the code is secure, and they can actually do it legally. The people who use it check the code [well not everyone, but project leaders and commercial users]. Simple as that. If they were to notice that something wasn't right, it would cost THEM if they didn't notify the proper parties.

Linux is not foolproof. Matter of fact, it's mostly a hack, and it's got a heap of design flaws as well [eg. it's a monolithic kernel], but it is mostly written by people who know about security and the principal of least privilege. You really need to get used to the user model of a Unix to understand just how strong the difference is to Windows.

Another important thing to know is that Linux users have typically known more about their OS. They know when a GKSU request is bogus. It amazes me how many people get phished on myspace, say. You never used to see stupidity like that from a Linux user, but I'm going to bet there will be people falling for stupid crap like that now.

EDIT: @Joemailey,

Firefox didn't get buggy because it got more popular, it got buggy because it had to support the mangled HTML that frontpage [and others] produces. That said, Firefox still needs work, specifically, it needs individual Javascript namespaces for each tab or site, and it needs to be modularised.
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 07:35 PM

i dont think so, because pretty much everyone i know that uses linux/ubuntu knows a few things about computers/technology and aren't as n00bish as that. but if it were a young child then maybe yes. but its easy enough to change what they visit.

RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Verte on 05-28-2007 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
i dont think so, because pretty much everyone i know that uses linux/ubuntu knows a few things about computers/technology and aren't as n00bish as that. but if it were a young child then maybe yes. but its easy enough to change what they visit.

Young children shouldn't have the root password anyway :) Try that one for size, UAC!
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 07:43 PM

:O he got me. although it depends if your a child prodigyor not really...[/off topic]

bottom line, linux is better than windows, and windows shoul be destroyed by a program made in linux, and linux would run the world. end of.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Verte on 05-28-2007 at 08:16 PM

There's always the possibility that you're a sudoer and your child manages to open up a terminal and type sudo rm -rf *, or sudo sh ./shiftydownloadedprogram.sh. But you won't have your email client run scripts for you by default and other completely STUPID things like that.

Bottom line: Agreed. I think that while Windows is a reasonable consumer OS, it needs to disappear. I've got more than enough reasons not to give them my money now that I've looked deeper into the soap opera that is Microsoft customer and corporate relations. While there are still some places Windows has an advantage, I think these will go away as more people adopt Linux or other Unixen. Maybe they won't all go away and we'll still have Windows users ten years from now, but I think the software world will still be a completely different place.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by ShawnZ on 05-28-2007 at 08:46 PM

linux fails at things like networking on a lan. with windows, you don't need to think about anything; what do you get when you install windows server? ldap, kerberos, dns, dhcp, http, https, ftp, nntp, smtp, ntp, telnet, radius, etc, etc out of the box without any configuration needed.

RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by joey on 05-28-2007 at 08:47 PM

but linux has samba, connect to a wondows pc, and if you know what you're doing, its not that hard.

RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Verte on 05-28-2007 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
linux fails at things like networking on a lan. with windows, you don't need to think about anything; what do you get when you install windows server? ldap, kerberos, dns, dhcp, http, https, ftp, nntp, smtp, ntp, telnet, radius, etc, etc out of the box without any configuration needed.

XP Installing what you need to use may have its downsides, but other than buying a few minutes of your time, I can't think of one. Even then it's not so bad, since a Linux/Unix server install is probably a lot less painful then a Windows install.
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by ShawnZ on 05-28-2007 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
but linux has samba, connect to a windows pc, and if you know what you're doing, its not that hard.

samba can host a domain controller? can it do group policy, acls, or even connect to windows domains under its default configuration? you wish. the best linux had going for it was the novell networking stuff
RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP by Verte on 05-28-2007 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Samba can host a domain controller?

No, and as a matter of fact it shouldn't have an integrated domain controller. The domain controller should host it. *

quote:
can it do group policy, acls

Yes? Though again, that's not part of the server, that's part of what you're hosting.

Either way, I'm pretty sure this has little to do with Luka88bg's question :P

EDIT: * I didn't understand what you were saying, sorry. You mean an NT Domain controller. Samba can host them since version 2.