Shoutbox

"All programs" overflow/Any fix? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? (/showthread.php?tid=74819)

"All programs" overflow/Any fix? by alegator on 05-29-2007 at 03:19 AM

When I click on "START/ALL PROGRAMS" the listing exceeds the screen's width, so some programs on the rightmost area of the screen are not visible. How can I access them? Is there a 3rd party plugin that will make them visible in a "2nd page"?

RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by NiteMare on 05-29-2007 at 03:26 AM

shortening any long program/folder names will shrink the width of the coloums

RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by stu on 05-29-2007 at 03:33 AM

You can always select "Scroll Programs" as well in the startmenu properties.. If the list is long enough to exceed over that far onto your screen though, it would be a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom items. You could also try using "Show small icons in start menu" which may shrink it down enough to fit on one page.

RE: RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by alegator on 05-29-2007 at 05:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stu
You can always select "Scroll Programs" as well in the startmenu properties.. If the list is long enough to exceed over that far onto your screen though, it would be a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom items. You could also try using "Show small icons in start menu" which may shrink it down enough to fit on one page.

Thanks but the "Scroll Programs" option takes a lot of scrolling for this listing, and also it's already set to "Show small icons"...:(
RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by WDZ on 05-29-2007 at 06:22 AM

Just make some subfolders for the programs you don't use often? :p

RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by alegator on 05-29-2007 at 09:18 AM

The problem with grouping like applications together is that when uninstalling you have to manually remove the entry from the list (no big deal but still a drawback). Regarding the scrolling option, it is really slow having all this programs installed, specially when scrolling down to the bottom. It would be great to have an "All Programs" list that would work just as the old Netscape Navigator "Bookmarks" did (if anyone recalls), you only needed to click on the very last item in the list to instantly pop up the 2nd page with listings, etc. I wonder if Vista adds this functionality and if there is any 3rd party application that will enable XP to add this feature.

RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by kao on 05-29-2007 at 06:12 PM

How many applications do you have and what resolution do you use!?!

RE: RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by alegator on 05-29-2007 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
How many applications do you have and what resolution do you use!?!

I don't know how many, but I use 1600x1200 resolution and have 5 1/2 columns of listings
RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by Menthix on 05-29-2007 at 08:06 PM

5 columns on such a resolution sounds kinda extreme... Could you post a screenshot of it :)?

RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by Jarrod on 06-02-2007 at 06:04 AM

i used to have a lot of programs like that then i reformatted my c drive

RE: RE: "All programs" overflow/Any fix? by rav0 on 06-04-2007 at 06:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
shortening any long program/folder names will shrink the width of the coloums

(Y) Find out which items have the longest title, and rename then to be shorter. The columns will then shrink down and you might be able to have six full columns visible.

Here is a screenshot of part of my menu:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=824125]
The two longest titled items are much longer than the rest, and the third is also fairly ahead of the rest of the items. Just renaming (or filing in a folder) these items will neearly halve the column width.