Shoutbox

CPU Info - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: CPU Info (/showthread.php?tid=74929)

CPU Info by insomniac on 05-31-2007 at 09:57 PM

im Doing a project on processors and need stats from all generations of CPU's can you help me here?? most sites i try are blocked @!#^^& annoying!!

RE: CPU Info by Jhrono on 05-31-2007 at 10:18 PM

Stats?

Well, when it comes to processors you have two main brands (in desktop computers), AMD and Intel.

Over the last 2 years AMD rulled the market, always with the better performing CPUs, featuring cooler temperatures.. AMD was actually the first company to bring 64 bit and dual core processors to regular desktop computers.
However, as they always insisted to maintain an on-die memory controller (in other words, built in),  they were left back when DDR2 memory became an actual hype and they had no socket to support these. Even though the memory controller offered good performance (better than the usual CPU -> Chipset -> Memory connection used on Intel systems), it was beaten by DDR2 performance as soon as their timings became lower.. Only in 2006, with the launch of the AM2 socket, did their processors support DDR2.

AMD was largely supported by gamers, since their processors offered a large boost in most games. Consequently, they started sponsoring many activities in this area and gaining more and more popularity.

Now onto Intel.
Intel's "great" processor on the last years was Pentinum IV.. Mainly, it was a heat-spreader, with few overclock'ability and also a slow performer.. Intel maintained this processor for 3 or 4 years, waiting for the big fish (I guess..)
Then, the revolution started. Introducing Intel's first dual core processor, Pentium D it outperformed everyone's expectations, as many had already lost hope in the company. However, it didn't bring "as much as" people expected from the Dual Core technology.
Later on, after the launch of the Core 2 Duo processors, everybody was amased by what these processors could do. Though expensive, these beat every competition available in the market, even featuring lower clock frequency (which just proves that Gigahertz are only a number) and finally took advantage of what multiple cores could offer. Most of these processors are great 'Overclockers' and dissipate few heat, a lot less than their previous generation.

Nowadays we're still waiting for a decent response from AMD to the Core 2 Duo processors, as they keep pushing their 2 year old sockets.. Intel prepares to lower even more the Core 2 Duo prices by the end of this summer and reduce the Core 2 Quad processors price (Q6600; QX6700; QX6800).

On a side note, one of the (two) major desktop video card maker (for the domestic market), ATI, was bought by AMD earlier this year (?) and is also unperforming to the expectations, having launched only one D3D10 model up to the moment a few days ago, X2900XT, to compete with the other major company, nVidia, which has sucessfully launched 7 different layers of D3D10 cards, from budget to beast-performance. As a conclusion, AMD seems to have "lost it"..

RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 05-31-2007 at 10:30 PM

i need as much info on them as i cn get cheers

RE: CPU Info by sylar on 05-31-2007 at 10:36 PM

Don't forget there used to be Cyrix too, back in the days.

RE: CPU Info by Jhrono on 05-31-2007 at 10:38 PM

That's way back for me :p

RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 05-31-2007 at 10:46 PM

heres what i got so far excluding all the detail maby this will help
Generation    Family name
1                    Intel 8086
1                    Intel 8088
2                    Intel 80286
3                  Intel 80386DX
3                  Intel 80386SX
4                   Intel 80486DX
4                    Intel 80486SX
4                    Intel 80486DX2 /OverDrive
4                    Intel 80486DX4 /OverDrive
4                    AMD 5x86 (80486DX5)
4                   Cyrix 5x86 ("M1sc")
5                    Intel Pentium ("P5" / "P54C")
5                    Intel Pentium OverDrive
5                    Intel Pentium With MMX Technology OverDrive ("P55C")
5                    Intel Pentium With MMX Technology OverDrive
5                   Cyrix 6x86 (''M1")
5                   AMD ("K5" / "5k86")
6                     Intel Pentium Pro ("P6")
6                    Intel Pentium II ("Klamath")
6                   AMD K 6
6                  Cyrix 6x86MX ("M2")

RE: CPU Info by Jhrono on 05-31-2007 at 10:54 PM

lol we won't do your homework for you.. Research for a while, there are at least more 10-15 processors to enter that list..

RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 05-31-2007 at 10:58 PM

i know that an it aint homework i jst gta find ths stuff but the usless server wont let me go to any sites it keeps blocking them out if you  u know some good sites jot them down an ill get them unblocked

and by the way iv been researching for a week and i really gettn pissd with not acessing any sites that i do manage to find

RE: CPU Info by Voldemort on 05-31-2007 at 11:06 PM

www.wikipedia.org

RE: CPU Info by MeEtc on 05-31-2007 at 11:06 PM

if the server is blocking sites, its blocking sites for a reason

RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 05-31-2007 at 11:12 PM

It does indeed but it blocks most lagit sites aswell thats what get annoying and yip iv had a look at wikipedia but cant find much on the cpu stats  like bus sizez cache etc if u look at the previous attatchment youll see what im after

RE: RE: CPU Info by Verte on 05-31-2007 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Intel's "great" processor on the last years was Pentinum IV.. Mainly, it was a heat-spreader, with few overclock'ability and also a slow performer.. Intel maintained this processor for 3 or 4 years, waiting for the big fish (I guess..)

The Pentium IV is not really one processor, the core has been completely redesigned several times, through NetBurst, Willamette, Northwood, Prescott and Cedar Mill.

Other CPUs you might want to look into if you're interested in CPU technology are the DEC Alpha [They aren't making them after this year :(], Sun SPARC (It's CRAPS backwards! Really!), various ARM processors, IBM Power, PowerPC [used in some Macs + PSX/PS2], Motorola 68k based CPUs, and check out the CELL, too, very interesting. There are some rare CPUs still being used as well, such as the CPUs in the CRAY X1E.

I'm not a huge fan of the RISC thing, I really like vector processors. However, they just don't exist anymore, not in any real scale. You can't call the SIMD on the Pentiums (>3) vector, really, unless you're dealing with 32 or 16 bit floats.
RE: CPU Info by Jhrono on 05-31-2007 at 11:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
The Pentium IV is not really one processor, the core has been completely redesigned several times, through NetBurst, Willamette, Northwood, Prescott and Cedar Mill
Prescott being the greatest toaster ever and cedar mill the best clocker.. I only said that because all revisions follow the same 'gender' :$

In C2D you also have Allendale, Conroe and Kentsfield per example, but then again those aren't revisions but codenames for different models :p (even if some 'supposedly' have purer silicon)
RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 06-01-2007 at 12:13 AM

even just names of different processors is a help because i can look them up at a later time (H) Any help is better than no help aye(Y)

RE: RE: CPU Info by Verte on 06-01-2007 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Prescott being the greatest toaster ever

Maybe- but not the geekiest toaster ever. :P

Edit: click the face.
RE: CPU Info by Voldemort on 06-01-2007 at 12:30 AM

There was a guy that made a heater for his mug with 2 or 4 prescotts...i'll find the link and link you guys :p

RE: CPU Info by Jhrono on 06-01-2007 at 12:38 AM

LOL I said toaster as in heat source, not as a real toaster :lol:

RE: RE: CPU Info by Verte on 06-01-2007 at 01:11 AM

quote:
LOL I said toaster as in heat source, not as a real toaster :lol:

:lol: I know- it just made me think of that toaster. The Prescott mug heater will top that though XD
RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 06-02-2007 at 08:44 AM

is all that tech really nessessary for a toaster!! is quite a crack up osome of the weird thiings pple come up with. processor names would be a help if any one knos of some that iv missed im not really up to date with the new stuff i havent had much to do with computing since the P4 first came out lets just say iv had a really long holiday!!

RE: CPU Info by CookieRevised on 06-02-2007 at 09:53 AM

http://www.intel.com
http://www.amd.com
http://www.cpu-collection.de/
etc

Go to such sites for the stuff you want. They have all the stats, graphs and listings you need and everything is explained in great detail.

RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 06-02-2007 at 09:57 AM

thanks ill check it out i got a wee bit of a catch up to do lol

RE: RE: CPU Info by Verte on 06-02-2007 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
is all that tech really nessessary for a toaster!! is quite a crack up osome of the weird thiings pple come up with. processor names would be a help if any one knos of some that iv missed im not really up to date with the new stuff i havent had much to do with computing since the P4 first came out lets just say iv had a really long holiday!!

I believe it's set up to play MP3s as well, though it works fine as a web/email/application server, and you can administer it through SSH.

Kinda off-topic: I just bought a 1990's Mackin'toosh LC! Twenty Australian dollars and I've got an ancient machine that will run Linux, Xchat, Pidgin, possibly Firefox with a little mucking about. Just think, sixteen megahertz of raw power!

Hmm, I've got a C64 sitting in my closet. I wonder if anyone else here has any other Paleolithic-era equipment.
RE: CPU Info by insomniac on 06-02-2007 at 12:36 PM

thats really nuts I WANT ONE!!! maby they'll have one that has a tiny LCD on the side to play games on that'll be mean execpt youd either get fat or end up hateing toast lol still b mean tho