Shoutbox

Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! (/showthread.php?tid=74971)

Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by ryxdp on 06-02-2007 at 06:17 AM

I'm just wondering where I should go to get the OpenGL files that apparently make the Flurry screensaver work. Any help is appreciated :)

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Verte on 06-02-2007 at 06:33 AM

What is it asking for? Most hardware/OS's come with an OpenGL API implementation, though not with include files and headers. Are you trying to install from source? If that's the case, what OS?

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by ryxdp on 06-02-2007 at 06:47 AM

OS - windows XP Pro SP2
It's not asking for anything. It just doesn't work. On the site it says it requires some OpenGL files, I'm just not sure which ones.

Here's the site, if you don't know: http://www.maddogsw.com

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Verte on 06-02-2007 at 07:01 AM

if it installed OK on XP, it's probably not OpenGL that's the problem. Where did you read that? I bounced around the site for a while, but nothing struck me.

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by ryxdp on 06-02-2007 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.maddogsw.com/flurry/
Release 1.1: includes several different Flurry appearances which you can select from the settings dialog box, and support for multiple monitors. It also should behave better on computers with slightly challenged OpenGL support.

This would imply that it utilises OpenGL, wouldn't it?
RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Verte on 06-02-2007 at 12:00 PM

Well, yes. But, XP comes with software OpenGL, and almost all video cards allow OpenGL through their drivers, so even if your graphics card doesn't support OpenGL, Windows will pick up where it leaves off.

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by ryxdp on 06-02-2007 at 10:00 PM

What do you think is the problem then, if it's not OpenGL or the lack of it?

-When I click "Preview" or wait for it to come on (I experimentally set it on 1 minute), the screen goes black, I've tried waiting to see if it's just going slow, but it's definitely not that.

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Verte on 06-03-2007 at 01:54 AM

Ok, I tried it out, and at first I got the black screen too. It seems it takes a while before it starts to draw the colour [felt like about twenty seconds on a 2ghz win2k machine @1024x768].

So it really does go slow, remarkably slow.

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by CookieRevised on 06-03-2007 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.maddogsw.com/flurry/
Release 1.1: includes several different Flurry appearances which you can select from the settings dialog box, and support for multiple monitors. It also should behave better on computers with slightly challenged OpenGL support.

This would imply that it utilises OpenGL, wouldn't it?

subtitle on the page says:
quote:
Compatibility: runs under any version of Windows with OpenGL support.
So, I'd say yes, it needs OpenGL...

* CookieRevised slaps Ryxpia for missing that :p;)

But if your graphics card doesn't support OpenGL on its own, it is indeed quite possible that it will be very slow since Windows needs to simulate OpenGL with software in that case.

btw:
quote:
Release 1.1: includes several different Flurry appearances which you can select from the settings dialog box, and support for multiple monitors. It also should behave better on computers with slightly challenged OpenGL support. If it seems too drak or sluggish on a given computer, this version includes some experimental fixes which can be adjusted in the registry under HKCU\Software\MaDdoG\Flurry.

;)

PS: it runs lighting fast on my Mobile Dual Core2 T7200 (2Ghz) with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 graphics card (which directly supports OpenGL 2.0)... this screensaver is one I'm going to keep and use... thx for link
RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by ryxdp on 06-03-2007 at 05:20 AM

Thanks Cookie. I'll just head over to Leadtek (or whatever it's called now...) and see if it supports OpenGL. :)

EDIT: It doesn't seem to, although what you said about that probably isn't true unless I missed another thing (don't slap me again please :P). It used to work fine before I formatted, and all I did was install ubuntu. ^o)

Weird...

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by kao on 06-03-2007 at 11:14 AM

I used that a while back and it always ran perfectly and started up instantly.

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Jhrono on 06-03-2007 at 03:03 PM

Can you tell us the brand and model of your graphics card please?

And also, the other specifications of your computer? Thanks

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by andrewdodd13 on 06-03-2007 at 08:47 PM

That's a sweet screen-saver.

I'm using an nVidia 6600GT with the latest XP drivers, no glitches - even when its turned up to the maximum. (Except for slight tearing when it starts up).

I can't really imagine a card made within the last 5 years not supporting OGL.

RE: RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Verte on 06-04-2007 at 01:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
That's a sweet screen-saver.

I'm using an nVidia 6600GT with the latest XP drivers, no glitches - even when its turned up to the maximum. (Except for slight tearing when it starts up).

I can't really imagine a card made within the last 5 years not supporting OGL.

Or ten years even, I had OpenGL support in 97 [lol, I would have been 11]. I guess there may have been some el-cheapo cards back then that didn't, but there was little point building D3D without OpenGL back then, and without either, they were essentially just framebuffers. Heh, that even predates Glide, I think.
RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by lizard.boy on 06-04-2007 at 02:41 AM

That screen saver is very, very nice. I remember using flurry on my friend's Powerbook. Its very impressive. Thanks for the link. (runs perfectly on my BFG 7900 gs oc, a flurry on both monitors, and accurate double buffering.)

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by Jhrono on 06-04-2007 at 01:24 PM

Yep, and it works fine on my (ATI) Sapphire X1950 Pro (comparable to 7900GS and GT)..

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by andrewdodd13 on 06-09-2007 at 09:32 AM

I have noticed while playing World of Warcraft that if the screensaver comes on the PC lags like hell - it takes up to five minutes to cancel it off.

If you have an nVidia card, install their general drivers from their site. If you have an ATi card, install the general drivers from the AMD site.

RE: Flurry screensaver - OpenGL?! by ryxdp on 06-10-2007 at 02:57 AM

I found the problem: I was using the right drivers for the card (WinFast A250 128MB DDR). I tried the GeForce4 Ti 4400 drivers (which I remember seeing before I formatted) and it works like magic.

I'm now just playing with it, looking at the presets. I have to say, it's a cool saver.