Shoutbox

[Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods (/showthread.php?tid=75041)

[Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Nagamasa on 06-04-2007 at 01:35 AM

Perhaps the signature width should be upped to 700 pixels because WDZ said in a Mod-Edit not to have inline images over 700px...and 800x600 screens are getting rarer and rarer.

In addition to the previous point, perhaps there should be a new rule for inline images because

quote:
Originally posted by the rules
Large dimensions...are not allowed because they can affect the layout of forum pages.
and 700px was the one WDZ mentioned. Probably inline images messing up layout is IMO much more common than signatures.
RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Chrono on 06-04-2007 at 01:56 AM

But larger image are annoying too :P

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Nagamasa on 06-04-2007 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
But larger image are annoying too :P
But they dont affect anything else...but oversized affects all the text and the right aligned stuff...
RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by MeEtc on 06-04-2007 at 02:10 AM

no.

and no.

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by markee on 06-04-2007 at 02:34 AM

Why do you need the images any bigger? I think it is a great size, you can fit a lot without it being overly intrusive.

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Rolando on 06-04-2007 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Why do you need the images any bigger? I think it is a great size, you can fit a lot without it being overly intrusive.

Exactly my thoughts ;)

so (sorry naga..)

no, and no.
RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Voldemort on 06-04-2007 at 03:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
But they dont affect anything else...but oversized affects all the text and the right aligned stuff...
+filesize. besides we already have enough of planes.

nono!
RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Eddie on 06-04-2007 at 08:34 AM

why would you want images bigger than 700px wide :S nah i dont agree sorry :)

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by vaccination on 06-04-2007 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

+filesize.

exactly :P

quote:
Originally posted by markee
exactly x2 :P
RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Oxy on 06-04-2007 at 03:04 PM

I don't agree either tbh. (N)

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Ezra on 06-04-2007 at 03:24 PM

Signatures are there to let you put your signature under the post, showing an image you made with your name in it and stuff, not to have an entire image gallery!

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by John Anderton on 06-04-2007 at 05:54 PM

Larger images are irritating and take longer to load on slower connections. Thus a big no no :(
Smaller file sizes are good :)

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Nagamasa on 06-04-2007 at 08:02 PM

I think I miscommunicated.

What I meant was to officially add a new rule that inline images should not exceed 700 pixels wide, and just so that the numbers seems nicer, to change the one for the signatures as well (I dont even have a better reason for that).

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
+filesize.
quote:
Originally posted by the rules
Maximum file size for avatar images and combined signature images: 100 kilobytes.

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Voldemort on 06-04-2007 at 08:08 PM

quote:
    quote:Originally posted by Voldemort
    +filesize.

quote:Originally posted by the rules
    Maximum file size for avatar images and combined signature images: 100 kilobytes.

who cares... 10 posts with 100 kb sigs = 1mb= suckage
stop nagging, nub :'<
RE: RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by WDZ on 06-04-2007 at 08:57 PM

quote:
What I meant was to officially add a new rule that inline images should not exceed 700 pixels wide,
That seems reasonable... currently the rules page only mentions avatars and signatures messing up the layout, not images in posts, and people do often post large screenshots... :p

Note that I said "under 700 pixels wide" in my edit. I had 640x480 in mind, which is a nice standard size for 4:3 aspect ratio images.

quote:
and just so that the numbers seems nicer, to change the one for the signatures as well (I dont even have a better reason for that).
I dunno... the signature width limit seems fine. Some people (myself included) don't always browse the forums with maximized windows, so the effective resolution is similar to 800x600.

However, it wouldn't make much sense for the signature width limit to be different from the post width limit... *-)
RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Nagamasa on 06-05-2007 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
However, it wouldn't make much sense for the signature width limit to be different from the post width limit... *-)
Exactly...and that's what confused people with two sets of numbers for the same reason.

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by Lourix on 06-07-2007 at 06:38 PM

I like the idea and think it could work we should have a vote.

RE: [Sug]Minor Forum Rule Mods by surfichris on 06-08-2007 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
I like the idea and think it could work we should have a vote.
These forums aren't run like that.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I dunno... the signature width limit seems fine. Some people (myself included) don't always browse the forums with maximized windows, so the effective resolution is similar to 800x600.
Bingo.