Shoutbox

Disk Partitioning? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Disk Partitioning? (/showthread.php?tid=75074)

Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-05-2007 at 08:07 AM

Hello....

Ok Vista's disk management is a whole lot diffrent than Xp's one thing is that you can not create an 'extended' partition unless you have 4 'primary' partition's, not I have a 250GB hard drive I want to make two partiotions out of it 1 for C: (windows) and other d: for my stuff,

Now in the year I used my computer I always created a partiotons like this... 1 primary 2extended and within '2' a logical drive...

What I want to know is how should I partition my drive in Vista? was the partioning I was doing in Xp, was wrong and I should have two primary disks rather than 1 primary and the other extended inta A logical drive?

Hope you get what I said :P

RE: Disk Partitioning? by Woraug on 06-05-2007 at 08:44 AM

If I understand correctly, then you want two primary partitions.  Just make sure the partition with Vista on it comes first (If you didn't know).  When I first started messing with partitions, I put it last, and kinda screwed things up.

RE: RE: Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-05-2007 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
If I understand correctly, then you want two primary partitions.  Just make sure the partition with Vista on it comes first (If you didn't know).  When I first started messing with partitions, I put it last, and kinda screwed things up.

No, What I am trying to say is... How should I Partition?

a) C: primary D: logical drive in an extended partiton

or

b) C: primary D: primary

which is the best way of doing it?

RE: Disk Partitioning? by Adeptus on 06-05-2007 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WaqasTariq
a) C: primary D: logical drive in an extended partiton
or
b) C: primary D: primary
which is the best way of doing it?

It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever -- and hasn't in a long time, even if the defaults for what disk management likes to do only have changed in Vista. 

NT-based versions of Windows (including NT 4.0, 2000 and XP) have all been quite happy with more than one primary partition on the disk, and the only substantial difference is that extended partitions are, by their nature, non-bootable (the OS can potentially get around this by installing its bootloader in the MBR or on a bootable primary partition).

RE: Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-05-2007 at 11:32 AM

So I should go with 'b) C: primary D: primary' as it wont make any diffrence right?

RE: Disk Partitioning? by Verte on 06-05-2007 at 02:36 PM

It shouldn't make any difference. The only distinction is, you can only boot from primary partitions, so if you ever plan to multiboot, make sure you've got a primary spare. It's not really an issue though :P

RE: RE: Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-07-2007 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
It shouldn't make any difference. The only distinction is, you can only boot from primary partitions, so if you ever plan to multiboot, make sure you've got a primary spare. It's not really an issue though :P

Ok... Can I know how you people have your hard drives partitioned???

so to get an idea....

Total Space -------- Partion1------Partition2---- and so on also mentioned which is primary, extended, logical...

RE: Disk Partitioning? by Adeptus on 06-07-2007 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Disk 1 (36GB) - one partition (C: ), Windows system volume and applications.

Disk 2 (200GB) - two partitions.  4GB (S: ) for swap, Windows temporary files, browser cache.  Second partition is the rest of the drive and used for data, inlcuding redirected "My Documents".

Disk 3 (500GB) - one partition, large rarely used files (such as movie downloads, software setup files, CD and DVD images).

The swap/temp partition really should be on the 500GB disk, because it is the least frequently accessed, but it was added later.  I should also note that the swap/temp partition only makes sense if you have more than one physical drive, and that if I was doing it today, I would get a bigger drive for the system volume (it is a fast 10,000rpm drive, but 36GB is a little tight).

The hardware specs in your signature suggest you have 250GB, presumably a single drive.  If I were you, I would probably partition that into 50-60GB system volume (C: ), the rest for data.  Separating data from the OS and apps is still a good idea -- it makes it much simpler to reinstall things, if needed.

RE: Disk Partitioning? by Verte on 06-08-2007 at 12:50 AM

On this computer,
hda1 [38 GB] = C:
hdb1 [6 GB] = /
hdb5 [512 MB] = swap

It's no more difficult to make your non-boot partitions extended partitions rather than primary partitions, so there's no reason not to, even though it's very rare that most people will run out of primary partitions anyway.

You may run out if you've set up a primary partition for Windows and a primary for data, and then you want to install more versions of Windows or some Unixen, or whatever the flavour of the week is. [note: Unixen can typically share /boot, which needs to be an/on a primary partition].

RE: RE: Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-08-2007 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Disk 1 (36GB) - one partition (C: ), Windows system volume and applications.

Disk 2 (200GB) - two partitions.  4GB (S: ) for swap, Windows temporary files, browser cache.  Second partition is the rest of the drive and used for data, inlcuding redirected "My Documents".

Disk 3 (500GB) - one partition, large rarely used files (such as movie downloads, software setup files, CD and DVD images).

The swap/temp partition really should be on the 500GB disk, because it is the least frequently accessed, but it was added later.  I should also note that the swap/temp partition only makes sense if you have more than one physical drive, and that if I was doing it today, I would get a bigger drive for the system volume (it is a fast 10,000rpm drive, but 36GB is a little tight).

The hardware specs in your signature suggest you have 250GB, presumably a single drive.  If I were you, I would probably partition that into 50-60GB system volume (C: ), the rest for data.  Separating data from the OS and apps is still a good idea -- it makes it much simpler to reinstall things, if needed.

Thanks ... I think now I am getting an idea about partitions and stuff...

Now what I have is C: 200GB for windows (I know I will only be using 1 OS) and D: 50GB (32GB to be exact) for softwares and rarely used files and my documents redirected :)
now satisfied!
RE: RE: Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-08-2007 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
On this computer,
hda1 [38 GB] = C:
hdb1 [6 GB] = /
hdb5 [512 MB] = swap

It's no more difficult to make your non-boot partitions extended partitions rather than primary partitions, so there's no reason not to, even though it's very rare that most people will run out of primary partitions anyway.

You may run out if you've set up a primary partition for Windows and a primary for data, and then you want to install more versions of Windows or some Unixen, or whatever the flavour of the week is. [note: Unixen can typically share /boot, which needs to be an/on a primary partition].

Well I know I will always be using one OS,

And on the above post that I made.. I forgot to mention that both of them are primary now
RE: Disk Partitioning? by Vilkku on 06-08-2007 at 07:27 AM

200 GB for Windows? Isn't that a bit much? :S

Edit: My setup:

Disk 1:
C: For XP, software, My Documents etc. - 170 GB
F: For Vista (I mainly use XP) - 20 GB

Disk 2:
D: Files - 230 GB

RE: Disk Partitioning? by John Anderton on 06-08-2007 at 07:27 AM

160GB SATA drive having 4 equal sized partitions. First for Windows, second for my storage files (downloads, installers etc), third for games and fourth for music, videos and movies.
I also have an old 40GB ATA drive which has no partitions and is used for storage of projects and other such stuff.

What I would like to do the next time I partition is to make a 20gb partition for windows and keep the remaining 130GB (or 140GiB 8-)) for all my other stuff. This way my torrents and other storage can take up more space than 40gb without me having to make space.
200GB isn't enough so I just burn stuff off to dvds when I don't need them. A ritual I perform every 2-3 months.

Ideally, I would add a 500/512GB SATA drive and be done with it but I'd rather not spend that much on an hdd right now. Got different hardware to expand first viz. another gig of ram, another LCD and a mx revolution. The latter 2 are future plans but the first one should come soon :)

quote:
MTB: Intel D965RY
Hope you mean DG965RY ;)
RE: RE: Disk Partitioning? by WaqasTariq on 06-08-2007 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
200 GB for Windows? Isn't that a bit much? :S

Edit: My setup:

Disk 1:
C: For XP, software, My Documents etc. - 170 GB
F: For Vista (I mainly use XP) - 20 GB

Disk 2:
D: Files - 230 GB

Well My at first I had a 50GB partition for Vista then when I noted that after installation it took a big chunk 18-20Gb dont remember exact, and on installing the softwares I use + office 20007 my C: is now like 35GB used so i thoght it would be beeter to have a BIG C: as I plan to get games on it...

Plus I dont have a very huge data of my own 500-600MBs of softwares, 2GB of personal data including pictures and videos.... and 3GB worth music :)

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
160GB SATA drive having 4 equal sized partitions. First for Windows, second for my storage files (downloads, installers etc), third for games and fourth for music, videos and movies.
I also have an old 40GB ATA drive which has no partitions and is used for storage of projects and other such stuff.

What I would like to do the next time I partition is to make a 20gb partition for windows and keep the remaining 130GB (or 140GiB 8-)) for all my other stuff. This way my torrents and other storage can take up more space than 40gb without me having to make space.
200GB isn't enough so I just burn stuff off to dvds when I don't need them. A ritual I perform every 2-3 months.

Ideally, I would add a 500/512GB SATA drive and be done with it but I'd rather not spend that much on an hdd right now. Got different hardware to expand first viz. another gig of ram, another LCD and a mx revolution. The latter 2 are future plans but the first one should come soon :)

quote:
MTB: Intel D965RY
Hope you mean DG965RY ;)

Ok first of all the first drive you have is 160Gb in 4 partitions, now are they all 'Primary'?

and yeah its DG965RY corrected it 8-|
RE: Disk Partitioning? by John Anderton on 06-08-2007 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Ok first of all the first drive you have is 160Gb in 4 partitions, now are they all 'Primary'?
Primary is the one where the OS is installed, right?
If so, I always only keep the first one primary and the others as logical.

If the answer to my question was no, exchange the words primary and logical from the above sentence :P