Shoutbox

[Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status (/showthread.php?tid=75166)

[Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Keikonium on 06-08-2007 at 01:11 AM

I thought of a new way to change your status when I was editing my PSM.

To edit your PSM, you can just click it, and edit it right from the contact list. With stuffplug, you can do the same with the nickname. So why not have this option with the status? Clicking the status (instead of opening the menu to choose a status) will allow you to change your status by typing it in.

Maybe having "busy" or "online" etc typed in automatically set you to the corresponding status, and anything else, such as "upstairs" or "out with my girl" set a custom status name KEEPING whatever your current status was.

Does that make sense? Would anyone use it?

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by toddy on 06-08-2007 at 01:23 AM

u can already have global shortcut for personal status's if thats what you mean. aka "ctrl + alt + x" can activate your personal "upstairs" status

and for the basic status's you can just type "/busy", "/away" etc in a conversation window

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Keikonium on 06-08-2007 at 01:46 AM

I mean clicking the status in the dashboard:
[Image: dashboardstatus.jpg]

Then typing in what you want:
[Image: editingstatus.jpg]

And having this as the final result:
[Image: finalstatus.jpg]

Doing this could also automatically add this as a personal status. Obviously a limited one with no 'message' or timer or anything.

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by toddy on 06-08-2007 at 01:59 AM

if you click away, then a plus options windows comes up. where u can set a "name tag" "persoanl message" & an "auto responder". yes it does take another couple of clicks, however gives you a few options to choose from.

see pic below
[Image: attachment.php?pid=825281]

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Volv on 06-08-2007 at 02:06 AM

To be honest I quite like Keikonium's idea, it's a neat way of setting your status to whatever you want, whenever you want - I know that quite a few users would use it if it exists (and if they knew it existed :P).

The whole thing would just make it so much more suitable, quick, and easy to do.

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Keikonium on 06-08-2007 at 02:09 AM

Thank you Volv ^_^. I know I'd use it. I rarely use messages, or timers, or PSM settings, so that window that toddy posted isn't accessed very often by me.

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by toddy on 06-08-2007 at 02:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
To be honest I quite like Keikonium's idea, it's a neat way of setting your status to whatever you want, whenever you want - I know that quite a few users would use it if it exists (and if they knew it existed :P).

The whole thing would just make it so much more suitable, quick, and easy to do.
takes 2 extra clicks to bring up the away menu. hardly time saving it is, maybe 0.5s for the clicks, n another couple of secs to change the display name and click personalize

so a hold 2.5/3 secs

quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
so that window that toddy posted isn't accessed very often by me.
all you have to do it set your status to away for it to come up. which is easily done by clicking on your current status nest to your name and then selecting "away". as said about, it adds a few seconds on however for them few seconds you get more features which most users will find helpeful
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Volv on 06-08-2007 at 02:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
takes 2 extra clicks to bring up the away menu. hardly time saving it is, maybe 0.5s for the clicks, n another couple of secs to change the display name and click personalize

so a hold 2.5/3 secs
Yes, I understand that it can be done another way - but the way which Keikonium suggested is so much more simple, effective, natural, easy to do and understand, and blends in with messenger well.
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by toddy on 06-08-2007 at 02:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:

so a hold 2.5/3 secs
Yes, I understand that it can be done another way - but the way which Keikonium suggested is so much more simple, effective, natural, easy to do and understand, and blends in with messenger well.
well i think it would be pretty pointless. wouldn't make it much more simple (as the current way is simple), would save a few seconds at most, and you would lose the added options.
if you don't have them few seconds to spare, why are you on messenger in the first place ¬_¬ :P
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Keikonium on 06-08-2007 at 02:27 AM

Bottom line is that it was only a suggestion ;). If ever implemented, you don't have to use it, and it wont interfere with your messenger use. There are a few ways to access various features in messenger and plus!; this just adds abother :).

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by prashker on 06-08-2007 at 02:29 AM

I like it, would be good to have (y).

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Volv on 06-08-2007 at 02:32 AM

quote:
well i think it would be pretty pointless. wouldn't make it much more simple (as the current way is simple), would save a few seconds at most, and you would lose the added options.
I understand your point of view and I'm not saying anything is wrong with the current method, but it is (just) a suggestion non-the-less and one which I personally believe would be a neater way of changing status.
Ofcourse you could still have the extra options for the personalised status accessible from the menu...
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by toddy on 06-08-2007 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Bottom line is that it was only a suggestion ;). If ever implemented, you don't have to use it, and it wont interfere with your messenger use.
yes it would, as i'm quite sure that for it to be added. the status button would have to be broken up into 2 parts. a text box and a drop down button. thus meaning i've have a much smaller area to click on for the basic status options. which could take a few more seconds :tongue:

if you're that worried about saying time, then just use the global shortcuts for personal status's
RE: RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Keikonium on 06-08-2007 at 02:34 AM

quote:
quote:
Bottom line is that it was only a suggestion ;). If ever implemented, you don't have to use it, and it wont interfere with your messenger use.
yes it would, as i'm quite sure that for it to be added. the status button would have to be broken up into 2 parts. a text box and a drop down button. thus meaning i've have a much smaller area to click on for the basic status options. which could take a few more seconds :tongue:

true... if you enabled this option :).
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Volv on 06-08-2007 at 02:40 AM

quote:
true... if you enabled this option :).
Uhoh, I don't like the idea of it being enabled/disabled. It just bloats the preferences unnecessarily and most users wont even understand what it is :p
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Felu on 06-08-2007 at 02:41 AM

But this way you won't be able to specify Busy or Away? And when you don't have a personal status set, will you be able to edit your normal status like Online, Busy, Away, etc? Feature might sound good but would be very hard to implement.

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by ahmetgns on 06-08-2007 at 01:09 PM

Keikonium; so you are using StuffPlug's feature which let you type your display name on the contact list window. What if when you or others who use that display name feature of StuffPlug want to set some other statuses like "Be right back" or "In a call"?? Where will you click?? This implementation may cancel Statuses menu, and you may not access other menu items on that menu. Although it will bring some advantages, we must consider the disadvantages too.

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by Voldemort on 06-08-2007 at 03:00 PM

I don't think it does that, ahmet :p

RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by CookieRevised on 06-08-2007 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Keikonium; so you are using StuffPlug's feature which let you type your display name on the contact list window. What if when you or others who use that display name feature of StuffPlug want to set some other statuses like "Be right back" or "In a call"?? Where will you click??
What has the use of StuffPlug's 'edit-name-in-place' feature to do with this (other than being an example of what he meant)??? Using this feature of StuffPlug will not remove the status menu, nor does it have any influence on it. People wanting to set another status still press the drop down button, StuffPlug installed or not.

quote:
This implementation may cancel Statuses menu, and you may not access other menu items on that menu.
No... The menu will still be there as you can see in his example screen shots (notice the arrow)...

------------------

This said, I don't see the advantage of such a 'typing-the-status' feature, I only see disadvantages.

If this is made you still need to click on the text box to enter the status name anyways. So why not simply click on the current existing drop down menu, and selecting your status like that??? It is way faster (instead of: click, typing, pressing enter)... You also wont accidently enter a typo and setting a custom status instead of a standard status, etc.

As for 'another way to select a status' I can understand the suggestion and it is quite an original idea. But it would be a longer way and the normal default way would become less easy to use (because you would only have a small arrow anymore to aim and click on).

As for quickly selecting custom Plus! statusses: Simply select 'away' and the custom status screen will pop up with the status name edit box already being focussed. From there you can either enter the new custom status name directly (thus which requires equally as much handlings as what you suggested!!!), or select a predefined custom status (which requires less handlings than your suggestion).
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status by andrewdodd13 on 06-09-2007 at 09:51 AM

As well as that, in the new 8.5 beta the nickname and status are handled by the same container, so it could be very hard to implement.

I think it's a neat-ish feature though, it'd look cool... but I hardly ever use personalised statuses anyway (maybe its from years of using bash on Linux, but I like to just /away <auto responder>).