Shoutbox

Please people - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Please people (/showthread.php?tid=75230)

Please people by Boo B on 06-10-2007 at 09:32 AM

Please stop making stupid scripts that no one wants
Auto Hey or auto Sup or auto bla because
when you download Answering machine Plus
and you can do aaalll of that stuff in 1 script
i use it to shutdown my PC or MSN remotely or lock it and stuff from another PC
like receive: /Lock3522
answer: /Lock
3522 is a password so other people can't anoy me by locking my msn
but those are not the only people that make stupid stuff
there is worse
scripts thats totally useless and that don't work
no offense guys but we want scripts wa can USE or that are funny or something you have some use of
and like... blocking prank thingy
people will thing you are made at them because you always block them and they get angry and you 2 have a fight...
its been a long time sins i downloaded another script
please make useful scripts like:
SendTo,Convo Notifier,Enchanter,GroupBlocking,Key Flasher,Now Playing,Mute,Reminder+,Screenshot sender,ReadThis,ReduceMEM,Sign Backin,CountDown live,Uneed script, and more...
to all those people
thanks! because they made my WLM MUCH better
tho the other people
please try to make scripts that not is already been made or something that you can already do in another script
thx

RE: Please people by markee on 06-10-2007 at 09:47 AM

I know what you are trying to say, but I think what you should be saying is that people should only submit quality scripts to the scripts database and tougher restrictions on those going in.  I still feel there should be scripts of a lower quality submitted to the forums for others to look at and give feedback so the people who make it can improve their skills.  We all have to start somewhere but there should be limits to what they are allowed.

RE: Please people by Boo B on 06-10-2007 at 09:53 AM

yeah your right :)

RE: Please people by stoshrocket on 06-10-2007 at 10:02 AM

Erm, I agree and disagree on different levels. What you seem to be suggesting is that everyone who isn't making a high quality script shouldn't script at all, when in fact people might like to re-create a script to learn stuff; the goal of writing a script isn't necessarily to make an amazing script everyone will want. However, I agree with the fact only the scripts that seem to be popular or a wanted script should be submitted to the database. The problem arrises i trying to define a quality script, or a script that performs a new feature. For example, taking a simple script idea and someone uses lots of text files with messy coding and ultimately it just works, then this script would be submitted because it performs a new function. However, then another person comes along and re-scripts this idea to a higher standard, is it fair to just discard the original script and effort the original scripter worked so hard on? It's a vague topic and frankly, I don't see a problem with the current system: just don't download the scripts you don't want, problem solved.

RE: Please people by markee on 06-10-2007 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by methos
Erm, I agree and disagree on different levels. What you seem to be suggesting is that everyone who isn't making a high quality script shouldn't script at all, when in fact people might like to re-create a script to learn stuff; the goal of writing a script isn't necessarily to make an amazing script everyone will want. However, I agree with the fact only the scripts that seem to be popular or a wanted script should be submitted to the database. The problem arrises i trying to define a quality script, or a script that performs a new feature. For example, taking a simple script idea and someone uses lots of text files with messy coding and ultimately it just works, then this script would be submitted because it performs a new function. However, then another person comes along and re-scripts this idea to a higher standard, is it fair to just discard the original script and effort the original scripter worked so hard on? It's a vague topic and frankly, I don't see a problem with the current system: just don't download the scripts you don't want, problem solved.
I agree with that mostly, but the original script developer should have been advised to put it on the forum and ask for some guidance in how to improve it rather than instant submission because of it's uniqueness.
RE: Please people by -dt- on 06-10-2007 at 10:35 AM

people can make whatever they want, so go away

RE: Please people by vikke on 06-10-2007 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Boo B
i use it to shutdown my PC or MSN remotely or lock it and stuff from another PC
like receive: /Lock3522
answer: /Lock
3522 is a password so other people can't anoy me by locking my msn

(Y)
RE: Please people by Boo B on 06-10-2007 at 10:50 AM

yeah ok your all right :D
you know what
NM
lock this :D

RE: Please people by Matti on 06-10-2007 at 11:47 AM

I think people should be free to release their works, as long as they don't cause damage to the user's computer (like a virus or something). But also, I think if you want your script in the Scripting Database, you should at least have spent time improving your script and fixing known bugs, so the quality of the script is assured.

In my opinion, releasing scripts is a bit like selling lemonade: if you want to sell lemonade, you can look up the receipt, make some and sell it in your street. But if you want to sell your lemonade to the big public, you better first check if the taste's good and isn't poisoned or something. :)
Whoa, in fact these things have a lot in common! :O

RE: Please people by joey on 06-10-2007 at 01:36 PM

its good practice for people trying to learn to code. they're only showing others what they can do, even if they are crap =p other forum members can show them better ways/improving scripts that they make.

if you dont want it dont get it. simple as. but dont put down the peopl that are trying to learn how to do them.
you never know they come up with a really good script....

RE: Please people by Volv on 06-10-2007 at 02:29 PM

Blame the public, they should be voting for/against scripts properly and then you'll be able to tell which scripts are worth downloading and which are not. Also, the 'Coolpicks' category already exists for promoting unique or special scripts.

RE: Please people by cooldude_i06 on 06-10-2007 at 09:17 PM

I disagree, people should be able to create what ever scripts they want. You don't start out by creating awesome scripts the first time. The people who are creating these "useless" script you speak of, might end up creating an awesome script that you can't live without. So don't download them if you don't want them, simple.

RE: Please people by roflmao456 on 06-10-2007 at 11:29 PM

ppl can download whichever script they want... wide choice of selection..

people are different, they want different scripts....
everybody cannot be the same...

RE: Please people by Stigmata on 06-10-2007 at 11:36 PM

Heh... back in the days of Messenger Plus 2.6

they had like a few commands which sent text and once someone with msgplus recieved it, it would play a sound ("Heyaa...", "Mwahahahha" etc) and they had no purpose at all (they have now evolved into the popular soundclips), but they were the reason I got plus in the first place.

Not everyone is looking for good useful features.

Some people are just looking for a bit of entertainment while using messenger :)

RE: Please people by Voldemort on 06-11-2007 at 02:28 AM

Sometimes simple is better than complex.

RE: Please people by MicroWay on 06-11-2007 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
its good practice for people trying to learn to code. they're only showing others what they can do, even if they are crap =p other forum members can show them better ways/improving scripts that they make.

if you dont want it dont get it. simple as. but dont put down the peopl that are trying to learn how to do them.

Totaly agreed with you, ICD!!!

Also, just adding that, all the simple scripts created were/are used for studying how to code and for improvement of techiques...
And, about the "Auto Hey or auto Sup or auto bla" as the Thread Creator mensioned, if I'm not wrong thay are the ones first released, as people were trying to learn and improve on the coding.....
RE: Please people by CookieRevised on 06-11-2007 at 07:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD

The problem and issue is not people trying to learn and make something and posting their code on the forums...

The issue is that sometimes bad programmed stuff (and badly copied stuff) ends up in the database too. Which is what I think is the problem as they are poorly coded (and indeed kind of useless for many people).

People who do want to learn something download something from the database expecting it to be 'examples' of how it needs to be done. And in the end learning the wrong thing.

Of course people can download what they want and of course people have different tastes (thank God for that :p). But the database should mostly be about quality, imho. Also, if people dont vote properly how would others know a script is crap and how would they know not to download it?

So saying "don't download it then" doesn't add up here. You need to download it to know it is crap.

--

Currently you can't vote for programming quality, you can only vote in general. And thus this also includes votes of people who think something is useless while the script itself is very good coded. Or vice versa, votes of people who find a script usefull, yet the script is full of errors and bad code.

Also, scripts which don't recieve a vote are categorized _lower_ than scripts which recieved bad votes. This isn't correct either... And the number of downloads isn't a garantuee for quality either.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I know what you are trying to say, but I think what you should be saying is that people should only submit quality scripts to the scripts database and tougher restrictions on those going in.  I still feel there should be scripts of a lower quality submitted to the forums for others to look at and give feedback so the people who make it can improve their skills.  We all have to start somewhere but there should be limits to what they are allowed.

(...)

the original script developer should have been advised to put it on the forum and ask for some guidance in how to improve it rather than instant submission because of it's uniqueness.

RE: Please people by Matti on 06-11-2007 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The issue is that sometimes bad programmed stuff (and badly copied stuff) ends up in the database too. Which is what I think is the problem as they are poorly coded (and indeed kind of useless for many people).

And that's exactly what I tried to explain earlier. The scripting database is some sort of "Hall of Fame" for the scripts, a script should deserve a place there if it's a beautiful example of good coding and decent error-handling where people can learn from. For "trial" scripts (sorry to call them like that), the Scripts forum is set up to let others give suggestions and notes about what could have been done better and what should be avoided.