Shoutbox

i screw up again - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: i screw up again (/showthread.php?tid=75252)

i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-10-2007 at 11:31 PM

in my attempt to try to get my netowork working, i messed up my desktop computer, when i went to control panel>>system>>computer name, i clicked on network ID, and it told me to restart, now, my log in screen tels me to do the ctrl+alt+delete before entering my password, and then once i log in, i do not get my taskbar, and ctrl+alt+delete, does not work, i know the computer hasn't frozzen, i can hear an alerm in teh background that tell me one of my hard drives is too hot, i can't do anything with it right now, its windows XP

the only thing i've been able to do is boot in to vista instead of XP, even safe mode did the same thing, any ideas on how to fix it?

RE: i screwed up again by Jarrod on 06-11-2007 at 02:50 AM

after you've tried system restore,
upload your boot record the file in the root of the primary drive called boot.ini (might need to unhide system files)

RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-11-2007 at 03:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
after you've tried system restore,
upload your boot record the file in the root of the primary drive called boot.ini (might need to unhide system files)
i already thought of system restore, i can't even get in to safe mode to get to the system restore
RE: i screw up again by Jarrod on 06-11-2007 at 03:20 AM

so you can't get into any form of gui?

RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-11-2007 at 03:29 AM

i can get to the login screen, but when i try to log in, no taskbar comes up, and neather does teh task manager

edit: i can duel boot in to vista, but the windows xp does the above

RE: i screw up again by stu on 06-11-2007 at 03:37 AM

When you try to log in, does it display your desktop, or does it just show the logon screen still? I had a problem similar where after logging in it would not display the desktop but there were indications it had not crashed. So I hit ctrl+alt+delete, ctrl+n, typed "explorer.exe" and then it displayed my desktop properly. In my case it was buggy software though. Could give it a try *shrugs*

RE: i screw up again by Jarrod on 06-11-2007 at 03:52 AM

quote:
originally posted by nitemare
can get to the login screen, but when i try to log in, no taskbar comes up, and neather does teh task manager

edit: i can duel boot in to vista, but the windows xp does the above

try the above then run a system restore,
you could try a windows repair
RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-11-2007 at 04:05 AM

quote:
try the above then run a system restore
ok, no offence to every body, but please read the thread first, i've stated twice that ctrl+alt+delete doesn't laod the task manager, nore does any other button combination, nor in safe mode, the only thing i get is my wallpaper, then the log on sound, nothing else, no task bar, no icons, no nothing, and again, ctrl+alt+delete does not work
RE: i screw up again by markee on 06-11-2007 at 04:23 AM

I sometimes have something similar with my laptop and just restarting it works, but I assume you have tried this a couple of times....  Have you also tried a different account like that of the "Administrator" account in safe mode (assuming you still have it).  Have you tried repairing windows with the CD?  Just a couple of ideas that might give you some more options....

RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-11-2007 at 04:42 AM

haven't tryed the CD yet, and the administrator account does teh same thing

RE: i screw up again by Jarrod on 06-11-2007 at 04:47 AM

another thing to try  is used bart pe and try and find out the problem

RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-11-2007 at 05:38 AM

quote:
another thing to try  is used bart pe and try and find out the problem
bart pe?

RE: i screw up again by scott2010_h on 06-11-2007 at 05:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
bart pe
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
its a bootable live windows CD :)
it has saved me a couple of times

RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-11-2007 at 05:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scott2010_h
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
bart pe
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
its a bootable live windows CD :)
it has saved me a couple of times
well will that allow me to do a system restore on my current window XP?
RE: i screw up again by Jarrod on 06-11-2007 at 05:56 AM

ii think you can get a system restore but u might need to find a torrented one with all the pugins installed i think i remember a system restore

RE: i screw up again by NiteMare on 06-12-2007 at 06:03 AM

i'm trying the windows xp CD, repaig windows, god this makes me nervious, when did computers become such a vital part of life?, i'm going crazy knowing its broken[Image: zippyah.gif]