Shoutbox

Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ (/showthread.php?tid=75317)

Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by Fredzz on 06-13-2007 at 10:03 AM

Hi people. I already have this problem for some months. Afteer searching couldn't find anything relevant to my problem.

I have an Hard drive with 2 partitions. One for Windows files (C:\), and other for documents (D:\)
Few months ago i noticed a new drive (Z:\) . It has the same name and size of D: . When i open Z: i see the same files that are on the original partition D: . If i delete something from Z: it reflects on D: and the other way too.
That's why i didn't try to format or delete Z or else i lose my original data.

Thing is, Drive Z does not show up in Disk Management from Administrative Tools nor in any Partition manager software. I already tried to "Disconnect Network Drive" on my computer but there are no network drives connected.

My hard drive is total 74GB. C: is 15gb and D: 59GB.  But at the moment i have a ghost Z: with 59GB. How can i remove Z: from My computer without deleting anything?

Hope anyone can help me. Because even when i make a full scan, after scanning D: it will scan Z: that are the same files. It's annoying.:^)

Anyway thanks in advance. Any ideias, please shoot! :)

RE: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by TheGuruSupremacy on 06-13-2007 at 10:24 AM

Try to hide it!!
http://www.emailarms.com/products/1st_disk_drive_protector.html

RE: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by matty on 06-13-2007 at 10:55 AM

So you are saying if you go to Disk Management > Right Click Drive D: > Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

You don't see the Z: drive showing up as an alternate access letter?

Does it have a different icon in My Computer? Possible a Mapped Network Drive to your shared D: drive?

RE: RE: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by Fredzz on 06-13-2007 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
So you are saying if you go to Disk Management > Right Click Drive D: > Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

You don't see the Z: drive showing up as an alternate access letter?

Correct. Only D: is there. *-)
RE: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by Jarrod on 06-13-2007 at 12:06 PM

ever used a partition manager
if so my thoughts could be
the ghost partition was created when resizing partitions or some similar action
or
a partition manager could help us work out what the problem is

----------------------------
http://download.paragon-software.com/demo/phdmper_demo.exe

RE: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by TazDevil on 06-13-2007 at 01:19 PM

RUN > CMD
in the command line window write
SUBST Z: /D

this will delete your z: drive

RE: RE: Hard drive shows twice in My computer D:\ and Z:\ by Verte on 06-13-2007 at 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TazDevil
RUN > CMD
in the command line window write
SUBST Z: /D

this will delete your z: drive

Really? Well, give it a try. I was thinking that was probably the cause of the problem [or similar].