Shoutbox

Contact list nicknames - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Contact list nicknames (/showthread.php?tid=75321)

Contact list nicknames by Deco on 06-13-2007 at 02:14 PM

Two questions:

1 - Where are my contacts nicknames stored?

2 - What is the contact list as in a control type? (Listbox, etc)

Thanks

RE: Contact list nicknames by absorbation on 06-13-2007 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Deco
1 - Where are my contacts nicknames stored?

On the server side, there is no call to receive them either, Messenger seem to be neglecting the API :).
RE: Contact list nicknames by matty on 06-13-2007 at 02:38 PM

quote:
2 - What is the contact list as in a control type? (Listbox, etc)
SysListView32 (ListView), however it is wrapped (along with the rest of the controls) into a DirectUI wrapper.
RE: Contact list nicknames by markee on 06-13-2007 at 02:42 PM

Would be a nice idea if someone overlayed a child window over the top of the contact list that had a list view.... you would have to set it all yourself but you could have the names display very customizable.  The oly problem you would have is with groups, but apart from that I could see it being very popular with people....

RE: Contact list nicknames by Volv on 06-13-2007 at 02:48 PM

Hooking the protocol would probably be the way to go seeing as all the contact list data + groups is sent through the protocol.

RE: Contact list nicknames by Deco on 06-13-2007 at 03:04 PM

quote:
On the server side, there is no call to receive them either, Messenger seem to be neglecting the API .

quote:
Hooking the protocol would probably be the way to go seeing as all the contact list data + groups is sent through the protocol.

I'm using a network monitor (packet sniffer) and I haven't catched any messages from me to the server with regards to me chaning nicknames so far. Can you guys show me a packet doing such thing?

quote:
SysListView32 (ListView), however it is wrapped (along with the rest of the controls) into a DirectUI wrapper.

Does this mean I have no way to access the contact list and retrive data from it?

The data is stored somewhere since I can change the nickname and not see a message from my computer to the server right away. It's not in the same directory as the pictures and avatars... and as far as I can tell it's not in the registry either. Any ideas on where this could be?

Thanks

RE: Contact list nicknames by matty on 06-13-2007 at 03:18 PM

There are messages sent to the server to change your name. I can't check right now because I am at work but if I have time when I get home I will check for you.

RE: Contact list nicknames by Volv on 06-13-2007 at 03:20 PM

quote:
I'm using a network monitor (packet sniffer) and I haven't catched any messages from me to the server with regards to me chaning nicknames so far. Can you guys show me a packet doing such thing?
Are you referring to changing your own nickname, or the "Add a nickname" function in WLM?
RE: Contact list nicknames by Deco on 06-13-2007 at 03:21 PM

To the "Add a nickname".

I want to access the nicknames for my contacts in the contact list.

RE: Contact list nicknames by Volv on 06-13-2007 at 03:25 PM

Oh, well I don't think they are stored on the servers but I'm not sure where they are stored.

RE: Contact list nicknames by Deco on 06-13-2007 at 06:06 PM

In fact using oSpy I could see the messages that change the friendly name. It's SOAP.

Which raises the question: anyone here tampers with the protocol?

RE: Contact list nicknames by markee on 06-14-2007 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Oh, well I don't think they are stored on the servers but I'm not sure where they are stored.
They are stored on the servers actually, te whole contact information is I am quite sure.  This is one of the main reasons why Patchou would prefer that the Messenger team enhances their options and makes i easier for developers to link into it rather than having to recode the old MP! feature of renaming your contacts.