Shoutbox

Changing the time code on digital photographs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Changing the time code on digital photographs (/showthread.php?tid=75426)

Changing the time code on digital photographs by ahmetgns on 06-17-2007 at 02:59 PM

I have taken some photos with my camcorder but the date of camcorder was set wrong while taking photos. Now the photos have a wrong "taken on this date" info. Can I corret the dates with my computer?

RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by kao on 06-17-2007 at 03:02 PM

Learn Photoshop or something similar and edit them.

RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by John Anderton on 06-17-2007 at 03:03 PM

You can't remove timestamps without leaving a mark. You could blur them out like alex said.
Just switch them off in your camcorder. Most of them have that option.

RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by CookieRevised on 06-17-2007 at 03:11 PM

To change the EXIF info you need an image editor which can read/write such stored information. Search google, there are millions of such programs which can do it.

RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by ahmetgns on 06-17-2007 at 03:11 PM

No, dates are not on the photos' corners. Dates are hidden infos, and can be displayed or not when viewing photos on the camcorder. And also when copied to a computer, right click on photo>Properties>Advanced, there you can see many many info including date info. Can I change that info by using my computer?

Edit: EXIF  info, right. Can't I do that with only Windows' programs? Do I really need to install a special program?

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
why don't you go try
why do you think I didn't try?
RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by toddy on 06-17-2007 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Can I change that info by using my computer?
why don't you go try 8-)
RE: RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by Verte on 06-18-2007 at 06:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
EXIF  info, right. Can't I do that with only Windows' programs? Do I really need to install a special program?

It's just metadata. You can probably change that in a text or hex editor. I'd probably back the file up on your first try if you want to go that route. If you've got to edit a heap of files, that might be the best way.

Does the windows shell allow you to modify EXIF data? Who knows. Examine the "properties" dialog. If there's nothing there [most likely on another tab] then you probably can't do it without installing a program such as GIMP or Photoshop. I'm pretty certain paint does not even look at the metadata, sorry.
RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by rav0 on 06-18-2007 at 11:54 AM

The capture date of a photo won't change, so some metadata editors disallow editing the date saved with the file. Sorry I don't know of any you could use.

RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by Kenji on 06-18-2007 at 12:08 PM

Eh?

I just changed it here..

Left click > Properties > Details. Then change the date.

RE: RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by pollolibredegrasa on 06-18-2007 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
Eh?

I just changed it here..

Left click > Properties > Details. Then change the date.

Are you on Vista? I'm on XP and it wont let me edit anything there. I don't think it's possible from within Windows XP, but there are a few free editors on the internet that can do the job.

I have used this in the past to modify dates etc in photos. It allows batch editing and is pretty easy to use although I think it uses the .net framework so you'll need that.

Hope this helps..

Edit: I just booted onto Vista and it does indeed let you modify the information there. On XP however It wouldn't let me at all.
RE: Changing the time code on digital photographs by ahmetgns on 06-18-2007 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
I'd probably back the file up on your first try if you want to go that route.
:( My bad, I have already lost one photograph.
quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
I just booted onto Vista and it does indeed let you modify the information there. On XP however It wouldn't let me at all.
Hmm, one reason to upgrade to Vista.

Thanks you all for your answers.