Shoutbox

In a world filled with gadgets... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: In a world filled with gadgets... (/showthread.php?tid=75499)

In a world filled with gadgets... by MeEtc on 06-21-2007 at 02:00 AM

Something sparked my curiosity today, about the accessibility to communications in today's world, in particular phones. How many different phone numbers do you have today for people to get in contact to you?

Discuss!

Nobody calls me for personal reasons, except family randomly and friends from time to time. I have a landline, but no mobile phone (at least with voice service :P )

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by toddy on 06-21-2007 at 02:04 AM

i have like 3 active mobile numbers and 1 landlane

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Lou on 06-21-2007 at 02:15 AM

One landline, one mobile. However before, it was 2 landline as I would go from my father's house to my mother's house.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by joey on 06-21-2007 at 02:17 AM

i think the usual really landline and a mobile. on my computer [i moved some of my contacts-not enough space =p] ive got at last count 431 numbers. i would imagine a few of these are dead now but it'll cost money to find out! :P

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Voldemort on 06-21-2007 at 02:17 AM

2 landlines and 2 mobiles... tho i only use one mobile frequently...

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Adeptus on 06-21-2007 at 02:24 AM

I canceled my last landline years ago (back in the analog modem days I had two).  I can't see why anyone would waste money on a landline for personal use today, unless they a)are forced to get one with DSL (phone service is not required to have DSL for any technical reason, but many companies insist on it); b)use phone so much they can't find an affordable mobile plan; or c)have household members without their own mobile phones. 

Otherwise, a phone that can stay with you wherever you go obviously makes more sense -- and is all you need.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by toddy on 06-21-2007 at 02:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
b)use phone so much they can't find an affordable mobile plan;
most mobile companies will do an unlimited calls/txts plan (well at least in gb)

i guess most people will have a landland in order to have adsl (like myself), or are just old so don't like mobiles ¬_¬
RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Lou on 06-21-2007 at 02:33 AM

Most families tend to have landline numbers, just for the convenience of being able to contact anybody in the household at any given moment. Also, landline phones tend to be more reliable than mobile phones.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by lizard.boy on 06-21-2007 at 03:06 AM

In Canada its alot harder than in the US or GB to get unlimited or extremely high usage cell phone plans for cheap. Especially when you have 4+ people in the house, and don't wanna wait until after 6 to spend hours on the phone.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Kenji on 06-21-2007 at 03:13 AM

Mobile only. We do have a landline but people in the pub were abusing it, so my Dad stopped outgoing calls.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Rolando on 06-21-2007 at 03:19 AM

I've more than one landline.. four. I only have one mobile.. I guess I'll vote in the last one

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by albert on 06-21-2007 at 03:42 AM

Landline for the house and mobile for myself, although if I move out, I'm probably only going to get a mobile.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by wolfeboy100 on 06-21-2007 at 04:18 AM

I got a landline for the house (which i don't use much)  And I got a mobile for me.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Thor on 06-21-2007 at 05:31 AM

I got two landlines, and 2 mobiles. Which I use one the most. I call alot, texting too, but I call alot since there's actually some cheap providers in Norway atm.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by vaccination on 06-21-2007 at 07:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
Landline for the house and mobile for myself

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by prashker on 06-21-2007 at 11:30 AM

Landline + Skype International.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Underlord on 06-21-2007 at 12:26 PM

One PSTN line. An incoming VoIP DID number supporting unlimited simultaneous calls. My mobile.

Aka too many.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Phillip on 06-21-2007 at 12:40 PM

I have 0.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Lux on 06-21-2007 at 12:49 PM

3 landlines; 2 cell phones, and 4 SIM cards....

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by kao on 06-21-2007 at 05:12 PM

One landline and one mobile, I very rarely use the landline even though I have one in my room.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Oxy on 06-21-2007 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alex
One landline and one mobile, I very rarely use the landline even though I have one in my room.

Same.
RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by absorbation on 06-21-2007 at 08:06 PM

1 landlane, 1 mobile.

Dempsey has a lot of sim cards, I know that :P.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Kenji on 06-21-2007 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Dempsey has a lot of sim cards, I know that :P.
Dempsey has a lot of everything :sad:
My cellphone is my life. And my watch. And my chew-toy. by faiora on 06-22-2007 at 05:47 PM

DSL, being in my opinion superior to cable (at least here in Vancouver), is worth the hassle of the required landline that Telus imposes on the general populace. 
I'm lucky enough to be on an old FIDO plan that gives me unlimited incoming calls and unlimited outgoing local calls.  No-one here DOES this anymore for a reasonable price. 
I also have an incoming Florida number via Skype for my PC.

Odd as it sounds, when I 411 myself online, my cellphone comes up as an "unidentified land line", and my Skype number comes up as a cellphone number.  Mosssst interesting.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.
I've been looking for an excuse to post.

-Fai

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by ben013 on 06-25-2007 at 12:00 PM

I've got bout 4 landlines in my house, an ive got my mobile. i use the mobile for texting because ive got an O2 genie with 300 texts e.t.c and i use the landline for calls because its cheaper and my parents pay for it anyway:D

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by win_crook on 06-29-2007 at 03:33 PM

We only have a landline in the house for our internet connection. But my dad has recently seen some articles on using mobiles for high speed internet access.

Has anyone managed to achieve some decent speeds with a mobile as a form of internet connection before?

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Ezra on 06-29-2007 at 03:42 PM

I have a land line and my mobile, but perhaps that the land line will be replaced soon by a Fiber connection.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by lrac522 on 06-29-2007 at 05:43 PM

I had 5 mobiles on different networks but it went down to 1 mobile and a landline... hi all...:wave:

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by lizard.boy on 07-03-2007 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by win_crook
Has anyone managed to achieve some decent speeds with a mobile as a form of internet connection before?

Achieving decent speeds is actually pretty easy, the difference is that bandwidth on a mobile phone is crazy expensive in some areas. For example I know that I'm charged 5¢/kb for data useage. However in the states, possibly Japan and Europe, bandwidth is dirt cheap on mobiles.
RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Nagamasa on 07-04-2007 at 03:20 AM

1 landline and 1 mobile phone that I only use to call my mom after school.

Cellphone service isn't all too cheap in Canada.

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by Chris4 on 07-04-2007 at 03:29 AM

I have 1 mobile phone and access to our house landline :)

RE: In a world filled with gadgets... by kittymew on 07-04-2007 at 04:22 AM

landline
cell=work
cell=personal use

but I will never understand why cell users in the states have to pay for minutes..
so basically the person calling them pays and the person rceiving the call pays with minutes..
so its double dipping
where as in australia..we dont have to pay for minutes..only the person calling you pays.
But then again australians have to pay for local calls..on landlines..and Americans don't.

the reason I also have a landline is that its cheaper to make calls via landline then cell..