Shoutbox

Ultra portable laptop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ultra portable laptop (/showthread.php?tid=75502)

Ultra portable laptop by albert on 06-21-2007 at 04:14 AM

hey guys, I'm currently looking for an ultra portable laptop (something pretty small that I could always carry around with me).

I do need it to be powerful, the main applications i need to run on it are Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, Eclipse, Windows Live Messenger, Winamp.

What I care about it mostly battery life, speed and portability.

Also, if it was a tablet, it would be perfect.. So far, what I found are these :

-Dell XPS
- HP Pavilion tx1000
-IBM thinkpad X series

As for the price, the lowest the better of course.. But it has to be something that is good quality. I don't mind paying a good amount, as well as I get something worth it in return.

RE: Ultra portable laptop by Voldemort on 06-21-2007 at 04:17 AM

I've seen Thinkpads and XPS under heavy load.... both are nice and lightweight laptops.... I don't know about the HP... But the XPS tends to get a bit hot over a bit of time...

RE: Ultra portable laptop by Adeptus on 06-21-2007 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
-Dell XPS
- HP Pavilion tx1000
-IBM thinkpad X series
Out of those, I would choose the Thinkpad first without even giving it much thought.  Dell would be a consideration only if it was substantially less expensive or otherwise more appealing.  HP is simply a "hell, no" in this class and price range.

I would also suggest at least taking a look at the 13", smallest of the "thin and light" class models.  Fujitsu and Sony have some, so do other manufacturers.  13" is a nice size -- although bigger than what you are considering, it is definitely not too big.  If you can deal with that form factor, you can get much more CPU power, a full size keyboard and a standard built-in optical drive (which most featherweights lack).

RE: Ultra portable laptop by lizard.boy on 06-21-2007 at 04:24 PM

Hell.. I'd take the tablet in an instant.

RE: Ultra portable laptop by ShawnZ on 06-21-2007 at 04:56 PM

even if it wasn't a tablet... its a thinkpad, get it

RE: Ultra portable laptop by Supersonicdarky on 06-21-2007 at 05:14 PM

get a umpc

RE: Ultra portable laptop by joemailey on 06-22-2007 at 08:59 AM

I have dell XPS 1210.

Its pretty  neat.#
Also work  with 5-6 X series thinkpads.

Thinkpads r by far best laptops i've used. Love the X series feels stable n relieable fantastic. i wish i had got one before i got my dell XPS.

RE: Ultra portable laptop by albert on 06-22-2007 at 02:46 PM

Do you guys think it's really worth getting a tablet..? I don't really see the big use of them honestly, anyone having any feedback on that?

RE: Ultra portable laptop by joemailey on 06-22-2007 at 03:00 PM

Tablet i don't really see the use of them.

Try getting an lenovo thinkpad x 60 :)