Shoutbox

PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? (/showthread.php?tid=75508)

PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Ezra on 06-21-2007 at 02:12 PM

Does anyone know how to enable my onboard video when I already have an PCI-E video card enabled so I can have multi-monitor?

I already searched the BIOS for some settings but I couldn't find anything.

When I take out the PCI-E the onboard enables.

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Kenji on 06-21-2007 at 02:14 PM

This cant be done. Your gfx card only has one socket? :/

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Ezra on 06-21-2007 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
This cant be done. Your gfx card only has one socket? :/

Yeah, it's an el cheapo videocard that came with the computer.
RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by markee on 06-21-2007 at 02:46 PM

USUALLY onboard graphics are disabled when you have another graphics card in your system I'm sorry to say.  You can always have a look at dual monitor downsides? for a little bit of a discussion over this kind of stuff.... kinda.

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Verte on 06-21-2007 at 03:14 PM

I've got a similar setup, and it works fine. You will need to have both the card and the on-board chip installed properly [drivers and stuff] and it should be fairly easy to make your desktop cover more than one monitor. If you're using X, there was a thread a few weeks back on setting up X to use more than one monitor.

Edit: If the card and the on-board chip have different addresses on the bus, they are different devices and you should be able to treat them as such, unless there's something really odd I'm missing.

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by stu on 06-21-2007 at 03:14 PM

Yeah, I had the same problem a while back, when I looked into it, as markee said, everything i found said that the onboard graphics are disabled when you add a graphics card. I have not heard of running dual monitors with onboard & PCI-E. My solution was to go out and buy a gfx card that had dual outputs on it

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Jhrono on 06-21-2007 at 08:48 PM

I really don't know if this is possible to do..

Anyhow, give it a try and, if you onboard graphics are disabled, boot in the bios, fiddle around and enable them card again. Then install drivers etc etc

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by kao on 06-21-2007 at 08:51 PM

This can definitely be done with PCI and an onboard chip so I would have thought it'd be possible with PCI-E and an onboard chip.

Just try installing the right drivers for the card and the chip then enable the onboard in the Bios.

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Ezra on 06-21-2007 at 09:19 PM

I have the right drivers for the PCI-E card installed, I don't know about the onboard just that it will work when I take the PCI-E one out.

Also I looked in the BIOS but, there doesn't seem to be a option to turn the onboard one on or select as primary.

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by toddy on 06-21-2007 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I have the right drivers for the PCI-E card installed, I don't know about the onboard just that it will work when I take the PCI-E one out.

Also I looked in the BIOS but, there doesn't seem to be a option to turn the onboard one on or select as primary.
itry updating the bios ?

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Ezra on 06-21-2007 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
itry updating the bios ?

Not really want to do that kind of thing cause it's not my computer, it's my my work computer, so if it fucks up my boss will kill me :P
RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by toddy on 06-21-2007 at 09:55 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
itry updating the bios ?

Not really want to do that kind of thing cause it's not my computer, it's my my work computer, so if it fucks up my boss will kill me :P
live with one monitor then, or get a better graphics card :tongue:
RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Woraug on 06-22-2007 at 03:50 AM

It can be done with some motherboards, some, it can not.  It all depends.  Just go down to any given computer store and pick up an el cheapo PCI card, and use them both (If you do this, make sure in your bios you set it to use PCI-E as the first display.  From what I've seen, on most boards, it's set to default as PCI).

RE: RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Verte on 06-22-2007 at 09:00 PM

quote:

Install the drivers for the on-board one.
RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Jhrono on 06-22-2007 at 09:05 PM

Don't.. First check in the Device Manager, on the Control Panel, if there's any 'unknown' device listed.. If there is, it means the onboard graphics card is being recognized and, thus, you'll only need to install the drivers :p

RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Ezra on 06-22-2007 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
First check in the Device Manager, on the Control Panel, if there's any 'unknown' device listed..

I don't think there are any unknown devices, but I won't be back at the office until wednesday so I won't be able to check until then.

Also the screen on the onboard says "No Signal"
RE: PCI-E and Onboard Multi Monitor? by Underlord on 06-23-2007 at 03:34 AM

Some motherboards turn off the onboard graphics when an external card is added in. Others have a BIOS option so you can choose to run both.