Shoutbox

Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta (/showthread.php?tid=75517)

Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Patchou on 06-21-2007 at 06:21 PM

Hey guys,

Messenger 8.5.1238.0601 was released today. I just wanted you to know that Messenger Plus! Live 4.23 (the latest version) is entirely compatible with it (or, at least, as compatible as it was with the previous beta).

Patchou

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Chris4 on 06-21-2007 at 06:24 PM

Great stuff (Y)

* Chris4 downloads

Edit: Hmm, says I have a newer version of MEssenger even though I clearly don't.

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by EBFL on 06-21-2007 at 06:31 PM

yay for patchou <3
But i still wont be downloading any wlm updates until stuffplug updates :sad:
I like the clock so i don't have to keep asking people what time it is there with its 'Auto retrieve timezone':P

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by NiteMare on 06-21-2007 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EBFL

But i still wont be downloading any wlm updates until stuffplug updates
check out mess.be, theres a work around for that, straight from TB himself
RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by absorbation on 06-21-2007 at 08:01 PM

Where is the news of the new build. I've seen it mentioned no where :P. What are the changes :)?

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Screeny² on 06-21-2007 at 08:14 PM

There are no changes.
(Or maybe just some background stuff, no visible changes)

[Image: DJp4V9k4.jpg]

Screenschot by snsn, a Neowin user.

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by ahmetgns on 06-21-2007 at 08:36 PM

Will I have to wait for WLM to pop-up the update notification for about 1 week at most like MsgPlus? (I know downloading it directly but I want it to pop-up)

Or when WLM 8.5 is avaliable, will it pop-up as soon as I sign-in?

RE: RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Screeny² on 06-21-2007 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Will I have to wait for WLM to pop-up the update notification for about 1 week at most like MsgPlus? (I know downloading it directly but I want it to pop-up)

Or when WLM 8.5 is avaliable now, will it pop-up as soon as I sign-in?

It's rolled out via Windows Update, like all the Windows security patches (so you don't have to sign-in into messenger to get the update).

If you turned on Windows Updates, you should get an update  notification very soon.
RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Sunshine on 06-21-2007 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns

Or when WLM 8.5 is avaliable, will it pop-up as soon as I sign-in?
Who knows. This is the first time it's updated through Windows/Microsoft update, i assume it won't come up there if you don't have 8.5 already seeing as this is a (test)update to that..not to get you from 8.1 to 8.5.

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by the andyman on 06-21-2007 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Where is the news of the new build. I've seen it mentioned no where :P. What are the changes :)?
The news is at your own site 8-) ;) - and the reason it's not been mentioned anywhere is, as said, it is a pretty insignificant update without any changes and has only just been released by MS without the need to announce anything because of its small specific purpose
RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Chancer on 06-21-2007 at 10:02 PM

Where can I download this update?

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by duck! on 06-21-2007 at 10:03 PM

check on windows update :P It should be there :)

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Chancer on 06-21-2007 at 10:31 PM

=[
My Windows Update is not working...I click to check, it starts checking but never ends!
I tryed WindizUpdate, a plugin for Firefox that checks for win updates, but there's nothing about WLM there

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by TristanTJ on 06-22-2007 at 10:49 PM

The update patch is also downloadable here:
http://www.live-messenger.nl/download/wlm85updatebeta1.msp
pretty big file actually for an update with ''no actual changes'' (6.71mb) hmmm.

RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by lrac522 on 06-22-2007 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Hey guys,

Messenger 8.5.1238.0601 was released today. I just wanted you to know that Messenger Plus! Live 4.23 (the latest version) is entirely compatible with it (or, at least, as compatible as it was with the previous beta).

Patchou

Thanx for your generous support. Hi all...:wave:
RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by CookieRevised on 06-22-2007 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TristanTJ
The update patch is also downloadable here:
http://www.shameless.and.useless.plug/
pretty big file actually for an update with ''no actual changes'' (6.71mb) hmmm.
Ermm, were did they say "no actual changes". They said no real visible changes to the outside, which does not mean nothing is changed internally. Eg: a total recoding of Messenger is also "no visual changes", yet almost each bit would have changed in the code.

As for the size of the patch file itself: It also might be perfect possible that this is not a delta patch (a delta patch is a patch which only contains/changes part of files). So it is possible that this patch contains whole files instead of just parts. (I cba to decompose the msp file to check if this is the case, waste of time anyways*).

Either way, size does not say a thing about the possible changes.

;)

* ok, I had some time to be wasted anyways :p: the patch file does contain full files (eg: msnmsgr.exe, msgslang.dll and another 18 complete files) and thus isn't a delta patch.
RE: Note about the new Messenger 8.5 Beta by Voldemort on 06-23-2007 at 01:37 AM

I just can't get it to install, the installer dissapears halfway through it..... I'm back to 8.1.