Shoutbox

3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox (/showthread.php?tid=75721)

3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by stoshrocket on 06-28-2007 at 10:19 PM

Sorry for the uninformative title, but a more discriptive one wouldn't fit.

Firstly, my computer has been in the habit of restarting (well, freezing then restarting) every 10 mins when I'm typing something in word usually (don't know it this is just a coincidence though). Windows then pops up and says it has recovered from a fatal error. Helpful.

Secondly, when I re-opened firefox after a restart, for some unknown reason Google Toolbar had installed itself (well, I personally hadn't installed it) and then  asked me for it's settings.

Thirdly, after I uninstalled the toolbar I had realised Firefox no longer had my bookmarks (the second time it's done this in around 2 weeks).

A few weeks ago I picked up a virus and thought I'd got rid of it, now I'm having doubts despite many virus scans with AVG Free (the scanner that picked up the virus and deleted it in the first place).

Anyone got any ideas on what might be causing the problems? Any help is much appreciated.

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by Phillip on 06-28-2007 at 10:23 PM

Do you know the name of the Virus you had..? Its always good to do a Google search on the virus. To find out useful information on it.

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by High Speed Chaser on 06-29-2007 at 07:42 AM

Maybe its a rootkit. They are supposedly hard to get rid of. Rootkit info Answers.com

Also you said you got fatal error message can you give more details.

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by Verte on 06-29-2007 at 09:57 AM

Firefox keeps it's bookmarks in a "bookmarks.html" file, searching for that sometimes bears fruit.

Do you have any suspicious tasks running? Anything interesting in the recently modified list?

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by MeEtc on 06-29-2007 at 10:49 AM

post / attach a log made by hijackthis

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by Voldemort on 06-29-2007 at 03:10 PM

Turn off the restart on BSOD option, to see what's the actual error and write it down... what does the 'fatal error' window say?

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by stoshrocket on 06-29-2007 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
No sorry, I didn't make a note. AVG reported it as a Trojan, and I think I remeber googling the name to no avail.
quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
It's just shows the error report and asks to send it. I'll copy and paste next time it happens and post if it says anything useful.
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
post / attach a log made by hijackthis
Attached, thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Turn off the restart on BSOD option, to see what's the actual error and write it down... what does the 'fatal error' window say?
Will do, i'll post the error code next time it occurs. As for what the error window says, see above.

EDIT: Turns out Automatic Restart was already turned off... So why the hell would it restart? :undecided:
RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by Voldemort on 06-29-2007 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by methos
Thirdly, after I uninstalled the toolbar I had realised Firefox no longer had my bookmarks (the second time it's done this in around 2 weeks).

oh, that's easy, they are still there, just on another profile, google how to change your firefox profile :p

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by stoshrocket on 06-29-2007 at 03:31 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by methos

oh, that's easy, they are still there, just on another profile, google how to change your firefox profile :p
Nope, already done that the first time it happened. My profile is still in place, with saved passwords and the like, it's just the homepage and bookmarks that randomly deleted themselves :P Wierd huh?
RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by Voldemort on 06-29-2007 at 04:00 PM

can you check that the bookmarks are still around in %appdata%/firefox?

RE: 3 Problems- Google Toolbar, Restarts and Firefox by stoshrocket on 06-29-2007 at 10:47 PM

quote:
can you check that the bookmarks are still around in %appdata%/firefox?
Nope, they aren't there. Tbh, it's not the fact that my bookmarks keep disappearing I'm "worried" about, it's the fact my computer keeps restarting and then Google Toolbar decides to randomly install itself in Firefox...