Shoutbox

Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation (/showthread.php?tid=75807)

Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by Merkie on 07-02-2007 at 01:31 PM

I keep getting the infamous "Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation." and it doesn't go away. After a little searching I found out that the message should go away after opening 5 conversation windows. And whoah, that actually is the case. The only problem is that everytime I sign in again, the counter will reset, so editing the registry is useless. This shouldn't happen. What is causing this and how can I stop the reset?

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by High Speed Chaser on 07-02-2007 at 01:57 PM

I think Messenger Discovery Live and various patches like mess-patch can do it how ever I'm not sure.

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by Merkie on 07-03-2007 at 09:24 AM

They can't.

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by AngelDevil on 07-03-2007 at 09:33 AM

A-Patch 1.4 (only for WLM 8.5) can remove it. But it remove all message that appear in that bar.

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by bigb88 on 07-03-2007 at 09:34 AM

u on the windows messenger i think cuz i dont get that msg anyways

--

Changing the MSN Messenger warning message
Whenever a chat window is started in MSN Messenger, a message reading "Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation" is displayed. You may wish to change this message to display a corporate chat policy or remove it altogther.

To change the MSN Messenger warning message:

* Use a registry editing tool to navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService\Policies

* Insert a value with the following details:

Data Type: SZ
      Value Name: IMWarning
      Value: The message you wish to display

* Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Note: To remove the message altogether, set the IMWarning value to a single space " ".

-----

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by AngelDevil on 07-03-2007 at 09:36 AM

Is the same modify that A-patch apply to Live Messenger..

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by Jarrod on 07-03-2007 at 12:46 PM

mine has never done it which version do you use?
plus?

RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by CookieRevised on 07-03-2007 at 07:17 PM

To helpers: :( please follow the given links, before posting...

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
I think Messenger Discovery Live and various patches like mess-patch can do it how ever I'm not sure.
If those tools could change it, they would do exactly as stated in the post linked to by Merkie.

--

quote:
Originally posted by AngelDevil
A-Patch 1.4 (only for WLM 8.5) can remove it. But it remove all message that appear in that bar.
Indeed as you said it removes that entire bar, that is not what the top poster was asking... Though it is an alternative.

--

bigb88, please try to do some research fist and/or at least follow the given links before posting something which is totally inaccurate.

--

See "CookieRevised's reply to MsgPlus rock!  ???" first...
(which is the post linked to by Merkie in his original post (EDIT: his original post is now deleted -I believe by accident by the mod p:- nevertheless it was still there before I wrote this message)

--

Aaaaaanyways, Merkie, did you follow those instructions exactly? And for the correct Messenger version (it works in the opposite way for Windows Live Messenger compared to MSN Messenger)? Also, make sure you have administrating rights to alter (and save) the registry. Also make sure you change the registry setting in the correct registry hive (which is LOCAL_MACHINE vs. CURRENT_USER)...

--

EDIT
quote:
Originally posted by bigb88
might be runnin the windows messenger 4.7 ot 5 w/e they are up to on that - so who knows but i dont get that wif the wlm 8.1 an so on anyways
ermm... doesn't make much sense

RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversa by bigb88 on 07-04-2007 at 01:08 AM

might be runnin the windows messenger 4.7 ot 5 w/e they are up to on that - so who knows but i dont get that wif the wlm 8.1 an so on anyways

RE: RE: Never give out your password or... - part 2 by Merkie on 07-04-2007 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To helpers: :( please follow the given links, before posting...

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
If those tools could change it, they would do exactly as stated in the post linked to by Merkie.

--

quote:
Originally posted by AngelDevil
Indeed as you said it removes that entire bar, that is not what the top poster was asking... Though it is an alternative.

--

bigb88, please try to do some research fist and/or at least follow the given links before posting something which is totally inaccurate.

--

See "CookieRevised's reply to MsgPlus rock!  ???" first...
(which is the post linked to by Merkie in his original post (EDIT: his original post is now deleted -I believe by accident by the mod p:- nevertheless it was still there before I wrote this message)

--

Aaaaaanyways, Merkie, did you follow those instructions exactly? And for the correct Messenger version (it works in the opposite way for Windows Live Messenger compared to MSN Messenger)? Also, make sure you have administrating rights to alter (and save) the registry. Also make sure you change the registry setting in the correct registry hive (which is LOCAL_MACHINE vs. CURRENT_USER)...

--

EDIT
quote:
Originally posted by bigb88
ermm... doesn't make much sense

Thanks for the reply.

I did edit the correct registry hive (CURRENT_USER for WLM, LOCAL_MACHINE doesn't have the keys). Counter just resets when I close WLM and reopen it.
RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by Merkie on 07-07-2007 at 05:38 PM

Anyone?

RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by CookieRevised on 07-07-2007 at 11:29 PM

There is no other solution than the one already given. It makes little sense that your registry settings change/reset when you close Messenger, unless you don't have proper access rights to your registry, etc. Which is all explained before.

sorry

RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by Merkie on 07-08-2007 at 02:16 AM

Yeah, but that's not the problem. Situation:
1. Boot Windows.
2. Start WLM.
3. Open conversation window. See the message.
4. Edit registry to not show the message.
5. It actually works, message not shown anymore.
6. Sign out, sign in again. Message is back, checking registry: counter has been reset.

So it's not a rights issue, because I can edit the registry. The only problem is, so can msnmsgr.exe.

RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by toddy on 07-08-2007 at 02:28 AM

try changing the registry with WLM not running

RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by Merkie on 07-08-2007 at 12:44 PM

Same result.

RE: Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation by Merkie on 07-14-2007 at 12:24 PM

I installed Vista today, and I'm having the same problem again. So either Microsoft changed WLM to reset the counter everytime one logs in, or there's something wrong with my .NET account.