Shoutbox

Microsoft Excel 07 question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Excel 07 question (/showthread.php?tid=75847)

Microsoft Excel 07 question by MattyRid on 07-04-2007 at 03:43 AM

just a quick question, if I wanted to share a spreadsheet between 2 computer and have it continually updating every, say, 5 mins, is there anything I can do apart from using the "Share workbook" feature?

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by Jarrod on 07-04-2007 at 09:45 AM

what exactly are you trying to do;
if the book saves you could try using a breifcase, or synctoy or something to that effect,
other thought use dhtml and php or something and have it set up like a webpage

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by foaly on 07-04-2007 at 09:46 AM

why not try the google spreadsheet thingy? that is quite handy...

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by MattyRid on 07-04-2007 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
what about the google spreadsheet thingy that is quite handy...

wish I could, but I have to try and keep it simple enough for my parents to access and add data into the spreadsheet when I'm not around and they both know how to use excel.

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
what exactly are you trying to do

basically the spreadsheet is for something I'm organising and I've developed a way of having a spreadsheet setup to see who is and isn't coming and work out a few other things. And because I want more than just one user to add data at any one given time, I want it to continually update so that both computers are up to date and are showing the same data.
RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by absorbation on 07-04-2007 at 11:07 AM

If it is a simple spreadsheet I'm sure if you Google you can find PHP scripts that can edit them. This way when your parents edit the data in their web browsers, you too can edit the data from your web browser.

I believe Excel in Office 2007 still uses Comma Separated Variables (CSV) which easily allows the data to be edited. You could easily convert the data to fit into a MySQL database, which you could download/ upload once changes are completed :P.

It sounds a more complicated approach, but it is the only thing I can think of.

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by saralk on 07-04-2007 at 11:46 AM

This might be what you're looking for: http://www.xcellery.com/

quote:
Stop emailing and consolidating your spreadsheets! Xcellery lets several people modify the same Excel file at the same time. No installation required. It's free!

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by Jarrod on 07-04-2007 at 11:47 AM

i think i know you use office 2007 right doesn't that come with igroove or something to allow file syncing?

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by markee on 07-04-2007 at 01:48 PM

Review > Share Workbook > tick the checkbox and then go into the advanced tab for saving details and stuff. 

I'm sure you are smart enough to work out all of the minor fiddly stuff (especially seeing as though I only have the one computer here atm and cant test it out)

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by Jarrod on 07-04-2007 at 02:00 PM

i think he knows that

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
is there anything I can do apart from using the "Share workbook" feature?

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by markee on 07-04-2007 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
i think he knows that
Oh, shame on me for missing the last line of the post, people need to put the more important info up higher :sad:

Well in that case I'm fresh out of ideas unless you want to give Groove a go (which I have never used and don't really plan on learning much about at this stage).
RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by lizard.boy on 07-04-2007 at 05:10 PM

If they're modifying it when your not around, you could try just keeping the file on a network share.

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by seeker1 on 07-05-2007 at 03:43 AM

Sometimes folks use a spread because it's handy and they are familiar with it, not because they need number crunching. Some other folks might use a word processor for the SAME THING, again, because it's handy and they are familiar with it; often we're talking about just recording some simple facts.

After you figure out exactly why you intend to use the spread, try to figure if you could do the same job with a wp.

If you can see how that would work for you just as well, consider this...

set up a free and awfully easy website at googlepages (ok at wp-type stuff, probably not-good at spreadsheet stuff) and put your data there. let your folks have the logon and pw so they can edit the pages too.

There you have a simple way for everyone to make updates without a lot of other bother. Print out as needed! I think it even keeps track of the last time you logged on and made changes.

I like simple. This seems simple to me. Hope it helps.
seeker1

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by Snake on 07-05-2007 at 03:46 AM

If you are using a copy off Office Pro 2007 you can use Microsofts new application called Groove. I use it to keep some file the same between my laptop and my PC. I also have people I work with editing files between me and them using Groove. If you want to learn more Click Here.

RE: Microsoft Excel 07 question by MattyRid on 07-05-2007 at 05:10 AM

Finally worked it all out after trial and error, based on what markee said, I was on the path to want I wanted and managed to get the right one (see the attachment). Man  Excel (and Office) 2007 is a pain in the prosteria :@ 8-)

Thanks for all the help and Ideas guys! :D