Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world (/showthread.php?tid=75947)

Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Patchou on 07-08-2007 at 06:32 AM

Heya,

I often get requests for statistics regarding Messenger Plus! (and more recently, regarding the previous contest). Here are some of the most up to date numbers I can offer from my web sites logs:

Total number of active Messenger Plus! users: 18,012,475
Daily successful installs of Messenger Plus! : between 260,000 and 790,000
Active users breakdown by language:
    Spanish                      23.22%
    English                       17.56%
    French                       17.45%
    Portuguese                 13.44%
    Italian                         6.54%
    German                        4.61%
    Dutch                          3.49%
    Turkish                        3.22%
    Thai                            3.03%
    Hungarian                     2.34%
    Chinese Traditional         1.71%
    Arabic                          1.24%
    Swedish                       0.42%
    Norwegian                    0.30%
    Finnish                         0.29%
    Chinese Simplified          0.24%
    Danish                         0.23%
    Japanese                      0.21%
    Catalan                        0.18%
    Estonian                       0.10%
    Hebrew                        0.10%
    Korean                         0.07%

As for the 6th Anniversary contest, many numbers have been posted already but I thought you may enjoy the following last two pieces of data. First, and for a limited time only, I’m offering you to check out your own personal click grid. This grid displays all the clicks you made in the game while participating to the contest. It can be requested at the this page. Remember that this link is temporary and that you’ll need to save the picture in a screenshot if you want to keep it for future review. This service will be offered until the end of the month.

Secondly, here is a view of the users who participated, by country, which concludes this news post. Come back soon for a special announcement concerning an event in Montreal :-).

[Image: contest-worldmap.jpg]

Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-08-2007 at 06:34 AM

Not all that many users from India but yay none the less :)
Great to see such numbers as usual Patch. I guess congratulations are in order ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by lopardo on 07-08-2007 at 06:36 AM

zomg, we Spanish speaking people pwn! :P

Map is cool. :)

* lopardo checks his stats.

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Chrono on 07-08-2007 at 06:37 AM

What? More spanish than english users? omfg :O

Our translation is vital then

* Chrono has an evil plan in mind (6)

jk pitcho <3

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by prashker on 07-08-2007 at 06:39 AM

Go English Land :cheesy:!

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by ahmetgns on 07-08-2007 at 06:53 AM

When I saw on a previous statistic, if I recall correctly, Turkish was at the bottom of the list. But now it is above the middle line. We love Messenger and its add-ons.

Chrono, how is Spanish percentage so high? Do you have Messenger Plus! days which you celebrate together with your nation :P

EDIT: Please vote for your total click number on the contest.
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-08-2007 at 06:57 AM

The spanish are everywhere! They are invading our forums and our irc chans ;o
I blame lopardo :P
Click map is cool. Clearly my stratergy to randomly click didn't work out well :(

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by vaccination on 07-08-2007 at 08:26 AM

wow :P

*gets click map*

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-08-2007 at 08:31 AM

I was wondering if Patchou could tell me the approximate number of users from my country :) So I have an estimate while promoting Plus! here :p

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Felu on 07-08-2007 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I was wondering if Patchou could tell me the approximate number of users from my country :) So I have an estimate while promoting Plus! here :p
haha I wanna promote plus too. I've got a lot of my friends to use it. They love it!

Lol i just made
quote:
Total count of clicks: 534

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Nefzen on 07-08-2007 at 08:41 AM

HAX!
the heat map failed >_<
I knew this would happen.
[Image: clickingcontestsy2.th.png]
I still don't understand why it can't be sent directly to the email. If there's a risk of spamming an email address than there can be a certain limit like "don't send more than once a week" or "don't send more than once" etc.

Also, the Messenger address doesn't always fit the actual email address.

(btw if you're wondering about the "Please wait...", I've left it open like that and it stays like that)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by gamer007 on 07-08-2007 at 09:58 AM

Works for me. Now to see if I can overlay the other images to see how close I was to prizes. :P
@Nefzen: It worked for me. The "Please wait..." still shows, but my clicks are working.

EDIT: Hmmm... The grid could've shown where the prizes where in each of the weeks. Would be easier to see how close we were the prizes.

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by rix on 07-08-2007 at 10:15 AM

I'm very pleased to see the statistics for language usage in Messenger Plus! It seems we (here) have a long way to go.

And of course, the contest activity map is way too cool. :D

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Menthix on 07-08-2007 at 10:21 AM

Nice...

Dutch went down some places compared to last time... but we're probably still on top of the list when you compare by percentage of Plus! users over the total amount of people that speak the language :p

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Come back soon for a special announcement concerning an event in Montreal
:( Toof far
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Choli on 07-08-2007 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Active users breakdown by language:
    Spanish                      23.22%
hey Patchy, what about a salary increase (A)? :refuck: :P

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Our translation is vital then
sure it is, together with the forums :)
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Nefzen on 07-08-2007 at 05:03 PM

hmmm it seems to be case sensitive according to a friend of mine, I'm going to try that...
I suppose turning it all to lower case would do the trick.

OK it fails, I don't know why.
"Fatal error"
it says it fails opening a certain file or library :S
yup it's the error that Voldemort is getting (or a similar one)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Voldemort on 07-08-2007 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
hey Patchy, what about a salary increase (Smilie)?
greedy, i'll do it for free :p

btw, clickmap isn't working:

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Mnjul on 07-08-2007 at 05:47 PM

I see a 1.19% decline in the number of people using Chinese Traditional from the figure two years ago : <

However that still counts for about almost 310 thousand. Fascinating :banana:

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by NiteMare on 07-08-2007 at 06:36 PM

the pages is broken, and the e-mail i got earliery says i didn;t click:(

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by prashker on 07-08-2007 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Come back soon for a special announcement concerning an event in Montreal (Smilie).

Nice (h). 2 hours away, better be during the summer :p. So I can go see grandma and do the event!
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by absorbation on 07-08-2007 at 09:34 PM

The script has stopped working for me :P.

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Rolando on 07-08-2007 at 09:57 PM

Go spanish people! :D (Though I've everything in English but the feeling is the same :p)

About the request:

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Voldemort on 07-08-2007 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
Go spanish people! (Smilie) (Though I've everything in English but the feeling is the same (Smilie))

same.... i just use everything in english... pisses me to have half english half spanish :p
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Rolando on 07-08-2007 at 10:12 PM

yeah.. I also prefer to watch movies (note: not 'animated movies' like shrek) in English because I hate doggy translations and how their mouths are saying one thing but you hear something else :p (lip-sync or whatever its called :D.. but this doesn't happen in animated films since they do two versions..)

On topic: Patch, fix it.. or I probs only clicked like 100 times :p

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Patchou on 07-08-2007 at 11:31 PM

sorry about that, it's fixed :)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Chrono on 07-08-2007 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
greedy, i'll do it for free
will you? :cheesy:

* Chrono quits (A)
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Voldemort on 07-08-2007 at 11:41 PM

I will... if i have free time, which i always have :p
anyway, chrono failed at translating the contest

patch:
the error i pasted was dangerous? sorry :p

btw, can you tell us the total number of clicks in all the contest?

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Chris4 on 07-08-2007 at 11:41 PM

Very cool click map :D

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Patchou on 07-09-2007 at 04:19 AM

quote:
read the news :)
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by NiteMare on 07-09-2007 at 04:32 AM

no way you could make it an actual picture so you could right click and save?

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-09-2007 at 06:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
You could use snip in vista or just plain old print screen ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by mathieumg on 07-09-2007 at 07:47 AM

Woah, the amount of Spanish users kind of skyrocketed since the last time, Spanish Inquisition heh? :p French is still in the picture, not too far behind English actually :) Something in Montreal, w00t! At last :) *Eagerly waiting for details*

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by AngelDevil on 07-09-2007 at 08:06 AM

Italy the best.. Patchou what can you do without italian users?

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Chrono on 07-09-2007 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mathieumg
Woah, the amount of Spanish users kind of skyrocketed since the last time, Spanish Inquisition heh?
No, it's in fact because the translation used to be splitted in 2: the spanish spain version and the spanish latin one. But now both've been merged since the release of Plus! 4, so the statistics for both translations added up  ;)

quote:
chrono failed at translating the contest
i didnt fail, it was a little mistake in a message that only winners using the spanish translation could see :refuck:

quote:
Newb :P Check the news :cheesy:
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Nefzen on 07-09-2007 at 10:44 AM

yes, got the heat map.
it's hot xD
remember to use NON-CAPITAL LETTERS

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-09-2007 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nefzen
remember to use NON-CAPITAL LETTERS
Yes. Because emails and websites are never in capitals :P
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by mathieumg on 07-09-2007 at 01:15 PM

quote:
No, it's in fact because the translation used to be splitted in 2: the spanish spain version and the spanish latin one. But now both've been merged since the release of Plus! 4, so the statistics for both translations added up  ;)

Ok ok, but back then, even with both versions merged, Spanish was trailing behind English & French :P :refuck:
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Lou on 07-09-2007 at 04:19 PM

Nice Patchou, thanks.

Also, for everyone else, you can use your browser's "save page as" to save the entire grid page:P (Although that won't export an image either, but at least you get to keep the page and all).

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Choli on 07-09-2007 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
you can View > Page source (or whatever is translated into your language) and save as html. It works every time you open it.
quote:
even with both versions merged, Spanish was trailing behind English & French
true, but with Plus 4 we've improved the translation process, increasing the quality of the translation, so more people are using it now. Also, the wok in the forum is important: the more support and advertising of Plus on the forum, the more users ;)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by mathieumg on 07-09-2007 at 07:19 PM

quote:
the wok in the forum

Could that be qualified as "e-wok"? :D Ok, I'm sorry :$ 8-)
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Choli on 07-09-2007 at 07:58 PM

:lol:

sorry, it was a typo: work*

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Voldemort on 07-09-2007 at 08:01 PM

quote:
i didnt fail, it was a little mistake in a message that only winners using the spanish translation could see
lies, it was horrible :<
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-09-2007 at 08:43 PM

quote:
you can View > Page source (or whatever is translated into your language) and save as html. It works every time you open it.
Yes because the php puts in the co-ords so that it seems to be hard-coded html for the js to use..
Its way easier to have it as an image and show it to others :P Snipping/print screening isn't all that tough :tongue:
Unless you're super lazy like Chrono/WDZ ;o
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by mathieumg on 07-09-2007 at 08:45 PM

Having it as an image requires a lot more of CPU usage from the server though. (and some more bandwidth as well)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-09-2007 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Having it as an image requires a lot more of CPU usage from the server though. (and some more bandwidth as well)
Yes. That's why I suggested that the user should make the image himself for his storage, if he may please :)
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Nefzen on 07-09-2007 at 10:02 PM

hmmm but think of the noobs!
they can't print screen and paste!

hmm as for bandwidth and CPU power, that's a point to reckon =/
it is possible to have some job queue for it, and generate the image on the spot.
who said that you have to get the image right away?
Also, well made PNG (with say, a 8 colors palette) could get pretty small. Mine is 23kb with 5 colors.

I have to say though, that the map generator that you made took a lot of time and power to produce that map.

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by CookieRevised on 07-09-2007 at 11:49 PM

The click coordinates are stored within the HTML file (in the javascript). The map is thus generated locally with those coordinates directly in the <div> layer.

Hence why it can take a VERY long time to generate when you have a lot of clicks (browser might seem to freeze, especially in mozilla because it uses a slow method in that case; it works the fastest in MSIE as it is optimized for that).

In other words, you could just save the HTML page somewhere for safe-keeping. You could also printscreen and crop the image yourself if you rather have an image...

Although, having a list of the individual coordinates themselfs, in the right order, is a lot more usefull than having an image which will not show overlapping coordinates or a coordinate from the first week overwritten with a coordinate from the second week, etc...

This is way better than having an image!!

(You could always generate the image yourself using the buidlin list ;) And if you cba, you could even make a small php tool to upload the list and turn it into a real b/w image, for the "noobs", where they even could choose which week(s) they want, and/or directly overlaying the game pictures, or prizes, etc... ;))

This said, my map doesn't have all the coordinates on it, it states "not all shown" and indeed not all coordinates are listed in the html. Most of the 4th week coordinates are missing :(

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Voldemort on 07-10-2007 at 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
list (Smilie) And if you cba, you could even make a small php tool to upload the list and turn it into a real b/w image, for the "noobs", where they even could choose which week(s) they want, and/or directly overlaying the game pictures, or prizes, etc...
Volunteers?
:p

* Voldemort runs
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by MeEtc on 07-10-2007 at 12:12 AM

i already made one a while back, based on the format of

code:
1,2;9,8;4,5

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Matti on 07-10-2007 at 08:55 AM

Woah, just got back from Crete... Nice click grid and world map indeed! :)
Well, I cba Photoshopping my grid on top of the 4 game pictures, I first need to get back up-to-date with the news cause I just know I missed something! :P

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by John Anderton on 07-10-2007 at 08:59 AM

For overlaying, you would need to seperate the weekly clicks then overlay them to the positions of the weekly prizes :)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Patchou on 07-10-2007 at 05:47 PM

Note for people like Cookie who would have more than 20,000 clicks on the grid (so basically, to all the cheaters around here :p) : I've updated the code on the page so that all the coordinates are output, it's just that coords past 20,000 are commented in the file (so the final result displayed on the page is unchanged but you have the data if yo uwant to do your own click grid).

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by albert on 07-10-2007 at 05:53 PM

Patchou, when are we going to know what's going on in montreal? 8-)

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by prashker on 07-10-2007 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Come back soon for a special announcement concerning an event in Montreal (Smilie).

Is it...

"I'm preparing a very special meeting in Montreal during the month of July. More about that soon."

Yes thats right I connected the dots :cheesy:!

RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by Nagamasa on 07-11-2007 at 05:03 AM

quote:
What? More spanish than english users? omfg :O

And the big, bright yellow Canada attracts lots of attention, eh?
RE: Messenger Plus! in numbers and around the world by N.A.N on 07-19-2007 at 08:45 AM

it's hopeful