Shoutbox

strikethrought the word "SAYS" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: strikethrought the word "SAYS" (/showthread.php?tid=75977)

strikethrought the word "SAYS" by alpha_angel01 on 07-09-2007 at 07:02 AM

Hi, a friend of mine has a strike through the word says only as per the jpeg, not on her nick, how is it done. She cant help me :(

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by ryxdp on 07-09-2007 at 07:33 AM

She may have had a go at the msgslang.dll file (this is where some of the string tables for WLM/MSN (?) are kept). Unfortunately, I too do not know exactly how to do that by hacking your msgslang.dll.

It might also be because she put this at the end of her nickname (highly impossible but you never know :P):

NAME [s]

I'm not too sure about whether the text has a strikeout until it hits a [/s] tag, and I don't want to test it in case that's not what's happened here.

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by prashker on 07-09-2007 at 07:36 AM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=44...d=463777#pid463777

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by Volv on 07-09-2007 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
She may have had a go at the msgslang.dll file (this is where some of the string tables for WLM/MSN (?) are kept). Unfortunately, I too do not know exactly how to do that by hacking your msgslang.dll.
msgslang.dll contains the language-specific resources, editing or altering this file only affects how the local user sees things, your contacts will not see any changes...
RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by ryxdp on 07-09-2007 at 08:32 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot that. Sorry. :$

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by Nathan on 07-09-2007 at 12:31 PM

She/He is probably using Unicode, there seems to be lots of bugs with Unicode + wlm.

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by pollolibredegrasa on 07-09-2007 at 12:45 PM

This is done using the /nick2 command.

First, if you are using Plus! Live then you need to make sure you have IRC style shortcuts enabled (Plus>Preferences>Customize>Enable text formatting shortcuts> Use IRC style format codes).

Then, in a conversation, type /nick2 <your name here>

Then press Ctrl+R to bring up the formatting panel, and select strikeout. Then press enter (or Send) and you should now have a strikeout in your "says:".

This also works for other formatting, i.e. you can also colour/underline it etc.

Cookie's explanation about the difference between /nick and /nick2

Edit: In Plus! Live it appears to insert two characters when you select underline/strikeout etc from the formatting panel, and you need to delete the second one for it to work.

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by markee on 07-09-2007 at 01:42 PM

Just put this symbol at the end of your name

code:

It may just look like a box to you but it will make says (or anything else after it) appear striked-through.  This just uses the old "IRC-Style" of text formatting from MP! 3.xx (and I think even before that...?)
RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by alpha_angel01 on 07-11-2007 at 06:21 AM

woohooooooo thnx to fatfreechicken, u rockkkkkkkk, ur solution worked purrrrfectly.

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by ahmetgns on 07-15-2007 at 08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Just put this symbol at the end of your name
code:

It may just look like a box to you but it will make says (or anything else after it) appear striked-through.  This just uses the old "IRC-Style" of text formatting from MP! 3.xx (and I think even before that...?)
Although fatfreechicken's solution is easier than this one, I must say that markee's box doesn't help. I tried it. People should insert
code:
·'
at the end of their names if they want "says" part to be stroke out.

RE: strikethrought the word "SAYS" by CookieRevised on 07-15-2007 at 11:06 AM

Please don't suggest to use that to people...

People should not insert special characters ("the box", etc), nor using the build-in internal codes (·', ·$, etc). They should learn to use the provided keyboard shortcuts instead....

It wouldn't be the first time that people come and ask for "the special dot" or "what was that character again" because they have learned to use them from various sites and sources, while they don't know about the (proper) shortcuts.

The proper method to insert formatting is using the IRC-style keyboard shortcuts (as fatfreechicken said).