Shoutbox

[suggestion] /echo in Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=75982)

[suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Voldemort on 07-09-2007 at 06:04 PM

Well... /echo is really useful when you want a script to display something without doing any popus or without sending it to the other user, could also be used as a notes function....
[Image: attachment.php?pid=835056]
edit:
thanks for the explanation :P i clearly suck at making myself clear.
edit2: ja is bitchy jajajaja :<

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by John Anderton on 07-09-2007 at 06:08 PM

What the newbie is trying to say is that there should be a function /echo in Plus!, similar to that in mIRC so that you can test stuff, which only you would be able to see :)

/echo [b]Is this bold[/b]

That's the kinda things you could do but only make it way more complex with calling scripts into it. Scripts could use it to send messages to the user to tell him about changes like..
** JA's leet script has just been switched on **
etc.

Hope you get the idea now :)
* John Anderton pets Voldy and runs :P

The thread should be named "/echo in Plus!" :P

RE: [suggestion] /echo on Plus! by Menthix on 07-09-2007 at 06:08 PM

Agreed. Preferably echo lines should be a different color from the default text color by default so you can easily tell the difference (unlike mIRC :p), but if echo lines can be parsed by Plus! you can use every color/style anyway.

Will be useful for a lot of scripts.

RE: [suggestion] /echo on Plus! by MeEtc on 07-09-2007 at 06:12 PM

what if it had the appearance of Sp's !action function, but without sending it to the end contact?

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Voldemort on 07-09-2007 at 06:19 PM

! is for things that get sent.... / for local commands, its a sort of standard

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by John Anderton on 07-09-2007 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
! is for things that get sent.... / for local commands, its some weird standard
weird? :-/
Its how its always been. / for local.

Sending text messages to a contact to trigger a local command is dodgy and ugly. So /moo is used for local while !moo is used for remote.
Basically. It would be /echo. I think Patchy might need to incorporate this in Plus! (something like /run). I don't think scripts can quite do this. 8-)
RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Stigmata on 07-09-2007 at 08:08 PM

So it would be displayed....

[Image: attachment.php?pid=835087]

:)

(Image created with my Messenger Fusion Addin for Windows Live Messenger. More info on the addin can be found here: http://jackasswanabe.googlepages.com/mf )

Tbh I like the idea, could always prove useful. Say to write notes in your chat logs etc also :)

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by MeEtc on 07-09-2007 at 08:15 PM

yes, thats what i was suggesting for format

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Menthix on 07-09-2007 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
So it would be displayed....
[Image: attachment.php?pid=835087]
Except that it will be triggered by "/echo TEXT" instead of "!action TEXT" and the contact on the other side wont see anything from it.

And the horizontal lines should probably be optional too, so people can use it optimally.

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Voldemort on 07-09-2007 at 08:43 PM

maybe on a customizable colour too, so it doesn't go away unnoticed 

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Nefzen on 07-09-2007 at 10:10 PM

I agree, this can be an important thing for scripts. :)

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Mike on 07-09-2007 at 10:32 PM

This has been suggested in the past (when scripts still didn't exist at that time), and I don't remember Patchou replying... :(

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by CookieRevised on 07-10-2007 at 12:29 AM

I might be completely wrong in this, but if recieved messages can not be changed to something bigger than the original messages, then it might be difficult to even add a complete new line to the chat...

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by Patchou on 07-10-2007 at 03:06 AM

I've already planned something for "script personal notifications" in the next version, it wont be this command though, for several technical reasons.

RE: [suggestion] /echo in Plus! by markee on 07-10-2007 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I've already planned something for "script personal notifications" in the next version, it wont be this command though, for several technical reasons.
But if scripts can do it then it should be easy for someone to write a script to make the command though shouldn't it?

* markee has a sneaky suspicion that Patchou is keeping some important information secret atm....