Shoutbox

Is there a way to "link" scripts? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Is there a way to "link" scripts? (/showthread.php?tid=76020)

Is there a way to "link" scripts? by GNSPS on 07-11-2007 at 09:34 AM

My question is: Is it possible to use variables and functions from other scripts and include them in your own? *And no, I'm not talking of copying the jscript file for my own script folder but instead use its functions while it's runnning and in its place :P*

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Volv on 07-11-2007 at 09:41 AM

Nope.

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by GNSPS on 07-11-2007 at 09:42 AM

Too bad... Thanks anyway Volv! :D

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Matti on 07-11-2007 at 09:43 AM

In short: No.

A bit longer: It's not needed. If it's just a simple JScript function, why don't you just copy it? If you want to release the script to the public, you'd better ask the developer of the script you're copying from if you want to use it, but for personal use I don't see any problem. And if that's not the case, why don't you simply modify the script itself instead of trying to inherit its functions? I don't see the point... :S

EDIT: Holy crap, I'm as slow as hell these days! :(

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by GNSPS on 07-11-2007 at 05:12 PM

It was exactly for not breaking any copyright laws... :P Just needed to use some return values from other script... and making the same effect without copying it would be a very hard job... (the script I want is IP Get!!!)
But thanks anyway... I'll just try to find a solution! :D

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by saralk on 07-11-2007 at 05:56 PM

If it is a script you want to release publically, then just send a quick e-mail to the creator of the script asking if you can use it.

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Volv on 07-11-2007 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
then just send a quick e-mail to the creator of the script asking if you can use it.
That being said, you don't really need their permission as the scripts by default come with an open source license anyway, so you shouldn't stop making a script because it uses someone elses code, but it is courteous to ask first.
RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Mnjul on 07-11-2007 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
you don't really need their permission as the scripts by default come with an open source license
Please tell me how you inferred this.
RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by saralk on 07-11-2007 at 07:49 PM

quote:
quote:
then just send a quick e-mail to the creator of the script asking if you can use it.
That being said, you don't really need their permission as the scripts by default come with an open source license anyway, so you shouldn't stop making a script because it uses someone elses code, but it is courteous to ask first.

If you're refferring to the fact that you can see the source code, that doesn't mean it is open source parsé, the user can still apply any license they want to the code.
RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Voldemort on 07-11-2007 at 07:50 PM

quote:
parsé
per se?

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by GNSPS on 07-11-2007 at 10:47 PM

Ok... thank you all guys (and girls :P) for being so nice and always ready to help... I think I'll try to make it if I really can't make it without IPGet I'll ask for permission.

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Deco on 07-11-2007 at 11:21 PM

My take on it: if someone sends a script with the functions in the .js source. You can use it anywhere and if you're nice (and have manners/ethic/etc) you'll mention where it came from and who made it.

If the guy really doesn't want anyone to use it he'll make a DLL and will not share the source with any of us. Like Pai did on the xniff thingie.

But if you don't want to directly copy and mention his name... maybe you could save the result in a text file and read the file with your script everytime you needed the ip or something.

Just an idea.

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by GNSPS on 07-12-2007 at 12:11 AM

No... I haven't got any kind of problems in crediting him it's just that I think it would be awful if I'd copy the core of his script and just paste it in mine... So what you suggested is great... I'lll ask him for permission and also to make (or let me do so) a mod to the original script so it would output to a text file for mine to read it and this new script would have like two creators...

P.S- I'm thinking of use it to create a "closed window checker" to check if the other person has closed the window
I'm still studying it and don't know yet if by the ip connections I can find wether the window has been closed or not... By the way... I've heard about xniff and I think it can help me here can't it? by checking ip connections also? Can someone throw me a light on this? Thanks

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by CookieRevised on 07-12-2007 at 12:35 AM

A closed window notifier is as unreliable as an open window notifier.

The reason is the same: there is no way to check if the user has closed the window or if it was done by the protocol/Messenger.

And the other (same) reason: you can't know if it is a window that is closed or if it is something else. 'Closing a window' as such doesn't exist, it is closing a connection.

Please don't make the same mistake as many people do with open window notifiers and call it "closed window" notifier. That is completely inaccurate and only lets people believe it can detect closed windows. It can not... it can only check closed connections/sessions; and as such it would detect more than just 'closed windows'.

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by -dt- on 07-12-2007 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
you don't really need their permission as the scripts by default come with an open source license
Please tell me how you inferred this.
by default it comes with no license, hence no restrictions
RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by Deco on 07-12-2007 at 01:29 PM

GNSPS,

Just a tip for you that I learned in the coupl months I've been here:

Always ask for help in the most straight way you can when you do it in here. I've seen only one or two cases where someone "Stole" an idea. Most of the time people will be really helpful and will cut directly to the chase of your problem making it MUCH easier for you to go ahead.

So if you want to detect close session .. ask for help in that and as you could see someone like Cookie will come and give you all the experience and show you why it will/won't work.

Other than that.. if you still wanna try .. Xniff will allow you to see the packets coming and leaving your MSN so by studying those packets you could find when someone closes a connection but as Cookie said it's not reliable, sometimes the protocol will close it, sometimes the other person will and sometimes it won't show but the other person closed... Xniff has an example in the Release post on how to use it and the whole thread has help about possible problems using it. Just search for Xniff and go to the first post.

Have fun!

RE: Is there a way to "link" scripts? by GNSPS on 07-12-2007 at 06:41 PM

Thank you all! For having been so supportive... In other forums I think people aren't this much helpful and "close" (and by this I mean like a big family :P) You're great and thanks for these helpful replies once again and I promise I'll stay more focused on some posts that will appear and help as much as you guys did (or at least try to do so), contributing more for this big whole family spirit! :D

EDIT: I've read the Xniff post and it seems to be very unreliable and causeing too much trouble for MP!L that I think it would be better if I leave it alone and have some other idea for a new script :P... though I don't know what to do ^o) Hoping in a next big release of MP!L maybe when a new messenger is also released Patchou will do something to provide us some even more powerful language! :D :P *Just dreaming around*