Shoutbox

feature suggestion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: feature suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=76171)

feature suggestion by Supersonicdarky on 07-17-2007 at 11:27 PM

ubuntu forums recently added a feature that when you type the name of the thread, it automatically shows up similar threads. I think such a feature should be added here to reduce amount of noob spam. also it should only be active in bug reports and plus! help

clicky for screenie

RE: feature suggestion by MeEtc on 07-17-2007 at 11:38 PM

Shutup SonicSam :sad:

I approve!

lol, 2222 posts!

RE: feature suggestion by WDZ on 07-17-2007 at 11:48 PM

Hmm, I wonder how exactly that works... I don't suppose the source code is available? :tongue:

It probably uses MySQL fulltext indexes, which we don't currently use here...

RE: feature suggestion by Baggins on 07-18-2007 at 12:41 AM

Well, Ubuntu is open source so maybe the same goes for their forums :p

Wouldn't hurt to ask.

RE: feature suggestion by deAd on 07-18-2007 at 01:09 AM

That could be really useful (y)

RE: feature suggestion by vaccination on 07-18-2007 at 07:41 AM

What about the resurrection of age old threads?

Usually, even if someone new does search, they find a similar post, and then instead of trying/reading through the thread, they just add their post to the end.

RE: feature suggestion by markee on 07-18-2007 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

Usually, even if someone new does search, they find a similar post, and then instead of trying/reading through the thread, they just add their post to the end.
That is the only reason not to get this new feature.  The only thing that may make this worthy is if we had an auto-lock feature for old threads (like over 4 months since the last post then they would get locked), that has problems but we would still have less pointless threads with this auto-search feature implemented at the same time (I don't think you could really have one without the other).

And also with the locked threads, the person can always make a new thread and we just get them merged together anyway....

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris UK
MyBB 1.2 has a smilar feature (it shows in showthread.php, under the Quick Reply Box) maybe WDZ can have a look how it works.
Or we could just wait for MyBB 1.4 8-)

RE: feature suggestion by user35870 on 07-18-2007 at 01:39 PM

MyBB 1.2 has a similar feature (it shows in showthread.php, under the Quick Reply Box) maybe WDZ can have a look how it works.

RE: feature suggestion by Nefzen on 07-18-2007 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
ubuntu forums recently added a feature that when you type the name of the thread, it automatically shows up similar threads. I think such a feature should be added here to reduce amount of noob spam. also it should only be active in bug reports and plus! help

clicky for screenie
yes, it's like what was implemented in Google Groups. Convenient and anti noob :)
maybe you can ask google to implement it for you (in return to ads :P)

there are a couple of things that I find missing in this forum...
like an easy way to access new posts at 1) each specific thread, and 2) new posts in general (showing which threads are now contain new posts, and a link to get to those posts).
also, unlike some annoying sites, new posts stay new until you read them not until you login >:[
RE: feature suggestion by Lourix on 07-18-2007 at 03:50 PM

If someone could make it possible on these forums it would be a plus for everyone. Also going into search all the time does get annoying if your in a hurry.

RE: feature suggestion by Nefzen on 07-18-2007 at 05:00 PM

well, you have to remember this is a pre made forum,
that limits ones flexibility.

RE: feature suggestion by saralk on 07-18-2007 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nefzen

not really, because loads of features have been subsequntley added to the forums, i.e. the reputation feature.
RE: feature suggestion by Supersonicdarky on 07-18-2007 at 05:20 PM

quote:
if you have access to the source of the forum, you can do anything with it

RE: feature suggestion by vaccination on 07-18-2007 at 06:45 PM

WDZ is god. WDZ can do anything.

RE: feature suggestion by Voldemort on 07-18-2007 at 06:47 PM

Adding a link to those suggested/already used titles could be useful :p

RE: feature suggestion by Nefzen on 07-18-2007 at 09:11 PM

quote:
quote:
if you have access to the source of the forum, you can do anything with it
It's easy to say one thing, but doing it is another thing all together.
I hope you can make it happen!
RE: feature suggestion by Supersonicdarky on 07-18-2007 at 09:50 PM

lets hope they allow it (yn)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3041813

RE: feature suggestion by Stigmata on 07-18-2007 at 10:02 PM

ajax + mysql query that is used for the basicsearch.php?

RE: feature suggestion by ddunk on 07-18-2007 at 10:18 PM

quote:
like an easy way to access new posts at 1) each specific thread, and 2) new posts in general (showing which threads are now contain new posts, and a link to get to those posts).
1) Click [Image: newfolder.gif] next to the topic title to jump to the oldest unread post.
2) http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php shows all new posts since you last checked and then click the icon next to the title.
RE: feature suggestion by WDZ on 07-18-2007 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
Well, Ubuntu is open source so maybe the same goes for their forums
Nope, they use vBulletin... =p

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Hmm, that's a good point. :^)

quote:
Originally posted by Chris UK
MyBB 1.2 has a similar feature (it shows in showthread.php, under the Quick Reply Box) maybe WDZ can have a look how it works.
Yeah, I know how that works. I'm just curious if someone came up with a more elegant solution, or any cool tricks I could steal. Less thinking required. :refuck:

quote:
lets hope they allow it (yn)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3041813
Blah... I don't really need to see their code, although it would be interesting. I'm not sure if I want to add the feature anyway.

Oh, and maybe they didn't even write it, it could be a vBulletin modification that requires a license (¬_¬)...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151714
RE: feature suggestion by markee on 07-19-2007 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
    quote:Originally posted by Chris UK

Yeah, I know how that works. I'm just curious if someone came up with a more elegant solution, or any cool tricks I could steal. Less thinking required. (Smilie)
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
ajax + mysql query that is used for the basicsearch.php?
:dodgy:

and if you need help with the javascript then there are enough of us here to fight about how to do it :tongue:
RE: feature suggestion by WDZ on 07-19-2007 at 03:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
:dodgy:
The code in basicsearch.php is too basic. :p I don't think it would give good results, because it's not meant to work with "natural language" queries. It only works when you provide it with a series of specific search terms.

quote:
and if you need help with the javascript then there are enough of us here to fight about how to do it :tongue:
:lol:

If I add the feature, I'll try to figure out the Javascript myself... maybe learn something new. :tongue:
RE: feature suggestion by Voldemort on 07-19-2007 at 03:54 AM

WDZ doesn't like help and is suspicious of like everything.

RE: feature suggestion by Eljay on 07-19-2007 at 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
Well, Ubuntu is open source so maybe the same goes for their forums
Nope, they use vBulletin... =p

:O SHOCK! HORROR!
RE: feature suggestion by matty on 07-19-2007 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kostkon
Post Re: new forum feature
It may feel strange to you, but as you can clearly see at the bottom of every page here, ubuntuforums uses the vBulletin forum system which is by no means open source and/or free, but actually a paid product. It is being made by Jelsoft Enterprises Limited, a UK company.

Where do they get the revenue from haha
RE: feature suggestion by surfichris on 07-20-2007 at 10:26 AM

The best way to do it is with the FULLTEXT indexes, MyBB 1.0 RC4 has this functionality already built in. (similar threads)

The MySQL SOUNDEX function can also be used to establish "similar sounding" words if you don't want to do full text title matching/relevancy matching. Be warned this is much slower than the full text columns.

The vBulletin similar threads system works with their built in thread/post indexing system which is also used for searches. It works similar to the above full text capabilities.

Random: MyBB was actually the first forum software to ship with the "Similar Threads" functionality by default. It used to be enabled by default too, however due to MySQL compatibility problems with some servers, it is now disabled by default.