Shoutbox

FAT32? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: FAT32? (/showthread.php?tid=76213)

FAT32? by Orgrim Doomhammer on 07-19-2007 at 06:40 PM

I've just discovered that xp can't put file bigger than 4Gb on a FAT32 disk(or at least wikipedia says so)... is there a workaround to do it?or, can an iso image be splitted into smaller parts and put togheter on another pc? I need it for kubuntu... the pc I use for internet doesn't have a DVD burner, so I have to take the iso to another pc to burn it. extracting the files and burn 'em won't work, I've already tried... the pc doesn't recognise it at as a bootable CD at startup.
so? can someone help me?

RE: FAT32? by MeEtc on 07-19-2007 at 06:56 PM

no, there is no way to have a file greater than 4GB on a FAT32 drive.
you could transform to NTFS, but there is no going back without formatting

RE: FAT32? by Voldemort on 07-19-2007 at 06:59 PM

You could partition a part of your FAT32 fat drive, format it with ntfs, use the iso there.

RE: FAT32? by andrewdodd13 on 07-19-2007 at 08:41 PM

You could also just download the 700mb version of Kubuntu...

RE: FAT32? by CookieRevised on 07-19-2007 at 09:21 PM

PS:

quote:
Originally posted by Orgrim Doomhammer

I've just discovered that xp can't put file bigger than 4Gb on a FAT32 disk(or at least wikipedia says so)...
That's not a limitation of XP, but a limitation of the FAT32 filesystem itself.

Reasen is simple: In FAT32 the filesize is stored as 4 bytes, aka: a single DWORD. This is 32 bits long (hence one of the reasons it is called FAT32). The biggest number possible with this is 2^32-1, or 4294967295 (which is 4GB).

XP does have a limitation which other OSs might not have in regards to formatting a FAT32 drive. The maximum size which XP (and Win2000) can format as FAT32 is 32GB. Whereas the theoretical maximum size for FAT32 drives is 2TB.

;)
RE: FAT32? by Orgrim Doomhammer on 07-20-2007 at 08:01 AM

Thx Voldemort, that worked... I didn't even thought I could partition an external drive.
Cookie, you're right(as usual ;-))...I should read wikipedia more carefully before speaking.

RE: FAT32? by _Humphreys on 07-21-2007 at 01:40 PM

You could break the file up using a program such as WinRar... I would really considering converting to NTFS if you have a drive with more than a couple of gig.

RE: FAT32? by Nefzen on 07-22-2007 at 11:29 AM

drive.

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
You could break the file up using a program such as WinRar... I would really considering converting to NTFS if you have a drive with more than a couple of gig.
no, that won't work, he wants the complete ISO on the FAT32.

I heard of methods that can undo NTFS back to FAT32 without formatting, but I haven't tried any.
Remember you can write on NTFS from Linux! though you can read. Newer versions now support Unicode so it seems, so it can read files which names are not written in English.
And do you really need the entire 4GB DVD?