Shoutbox

Wirless booster - HELP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wirless booster - HELP (/showthread.php?tid=76236)

Wirless booster - HELP by Nathan on 07-21-2007 at 07:38 PM

Hey,
I have a bit of a dilemma with my wireless network at home.
We have the NETGEAR Wireless router in the center of the house (aka "Computer room") and my room is at on end of the house and I do not get any signal. I have a FON router that I got for free and I was wondering if I could use that to boost it so it can reach my room...

Nathan

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by prashker on 07-21-2007 at 07:41 PM

You could Hack the Firmware of the FON to a DD-WRT thing, and then make it so it's a Wireless NIC, then connect to your PC and voila, if you still dont get a connection, get a longer ethernet cable and move the FON closer to the router :p.

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by Nathan on 07-21-2007 at 07:43 PM

Links to the hack firmware or how to hack it...

I searched google and found nothing relavent : <

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by aNILEator on 07-21-2007 at 07:54 PM

I think he's just speculating of what you could do.

I've seen reports of people installing linux on routers to vastly improve their worth and capabilities such as what your after.

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by Kenji on 07-21-2007 at 07:55 PM

Get a decent router/wireless card. My router is in the cellar and im right up on the 3rd floor and I get full signal. :P

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by Nathan on 07-21-2007 at 08:07 PM

Pfft there's nothing wrong with the netgear, it has a 50m range...

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by NiteMare on 07-21-2007 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Pfft there's nothing wrong with the netgear, it has a 50m range...
thats a 50m range with nothing blocking it, things such as walls can reduce the distance, depending on what they are made of, and other factors to, the best idea would probualy be to get a repeater
RE: Wirless booster - HELP by Nathan on 07-21-2007 at 08:59 PM

Pftt, my mum doesn't want to buy anything - because she hates me going on the pc anyway... So I'd rather use or make something (thats relatively easy)

RE: Wirless booster - HELP by Ezra on 07-21-2007 at 11:46 PM

You could install DD-WRT on both routers and link them up together, that way you will have their combined range.

I'm running DD-wrt too, was a bit of a hassle in the beginning because i have a WRT54Gv5 and the v5 was made with different hardware but now it works very good, no more hangups and stuff like the original firmware had.