Shoutbox

Doesn't download the right version - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Doesn't download the right version (/showthread.php?tid=76253)

Doesn't download the right version by x2zen on 07-22-2007 at 05:36 PM

By mistake I launched the 4.21 install file instead of the latest 4.23, and Plus! informed me that version 4.21 wasn't compatible with the installed version of Messenger (I'm using the latest WLM 8.5 beta), so Plus! asked if it should download a compatible version of Plus!.

Although I already have the installation file of 4.23 I pressed Yes and it began downloading :P

To my big surprise the downloaded version of plus! was 3.63? I'm guessing it should have downloaded 4.23.276?

RE: Doesn't download the right version by Menthix on 07-22-2007 at 06:06 PM

I think the problem is that 4.21 doesn't know about the existence of 8.5. It simply doesn't detect 8.5 as Live Messenger, so it thinks you only have only Windows Messenger and downloads the old version.

It would be different when somebody has 4.21 installed, in that case it will disable itself on 8.5 and download 4.23 when it does an update check. However, during setup it doesn't do an update check.

Only way to fix this thing in future versions would be to preform an update check when Plus! can't detect any version of Live Messenger being installed... If there is an update, download that one and run it, if there isn't do the usual thing and offer to download 3.63.

RE: Doesn't download the right version by Patchou on 07-22-2007 at 06:09 PM

yep, that's the reason why.

In Windows Vista, the setup redirects you to Microsoft's web page to download Windows Live Messenger.