Shoutbox

About PC suspend mode - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: About PC suspend mode (/showthread.php?tid=76280)

About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-23-2007 at 08:40 PM

Hey guys, I have put my PC into S3 suspend mode, but when I suspend the computer, my network is lost, thus MSN is signed off. Is there a way to retain network connection while the computer is in suspension mode?

Thanks!

RE: About PC suspend mode by Nathan on 07-23-2007 at 08:52 PM

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click "Local Area Connection" > Properties > "Connect Using:" Click "Configure" > Power  Management > Untick "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

You're done :D

RE: About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-23-2007 at 08:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Napbree!

I was wondering, could you take a screenshot of the "connect using"? My comp is in a foreign language right now and I cant understand it lol

Am i in the right place?:
[Image: 19191333ic5.jpg]

RE: About PC suspend mode by Nathan on 07-23-2007 at 08:58 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=838648]

RE: About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-23-2007 at 08:59 PM

I see it now, thanks!

RE: About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-23-2007 at 09:55 PM

After I unticked "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power", I still lose internet connection. I mean I was signed on msn and was downloading stuff, but when I went into suspension mode, msn disconnects and the download pauses...

Is there a way to be in suspension mode yet not getting d/c from msn?

RE: About PC suspend mode by stu on 07-24-2007 at 01:13 AM

No, its one or the other. Your computer cant be off and still connected to MSN.. either keep it on, or close MSN

RE: About PC suspend mode by ShawnZ on 07-24-2007 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click "Local Area Connection" > Properties > "Connect Using:" Click "Configure" > Power  Management > Untick "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

You're done :D

you realize... code doesn't execute in sleep mode, right?
RE: About PC suspend mode by Voldemort on 07-24-2007 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you realize... code doesn't execute in sleep mode, right?
nah, it's the mobile coil
RE: About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-24-2007 at 05:59 AM

so which method saves more power?
Shutting off monitor and HD after x minutes, or going to suspend mode?

RE: About PC suspend mode by ShawnZ on 07-24-2007 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fayte7523
so which method saves more power?
Shutting off monitor and HD after x minutes, or going to suspend mode?

suspend mode...
RE: About PC suspend mode by RebelSean on 07-24-2007 at 08:22 AM

Call me a newb for asking this, but where do I enable suspend mode? I'm searching through my power settings and I only see hibernate and standby modes.

RE: About PC suspend mode by Adeptus on 07-24-2007 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
Call me a newb for asking this, but where do I enable suspend mode? I'm searching through my power settings and I only see hibernate and standby modes.
Those are just different names for the same.  ACPI mode S3, "suspend to RAM", is Windows "standby".  S4, "suspend to disk", is "hibernate".
RE: About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-26-2007 at 12:20 AM

If going to suspend mode still d/c my internet, what was the point of going to my network config. and unticking the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"?

RE: About PC suspend mode by ShawnZ on 07-26-2007 at 12:24 AM

quote:
If going to suspend mode still d/c my internet, what was the point of going to my network config. and unticking the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"?

there wasn't one.
RE: RE: About PC suspend mode by fayte7523 on 07-26-2007 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

there wasn't one.

Wait im confused. But the thing I unticked was my network card. So that means if the network card doesnt turn off when comp goes into suspend mode, wont it not d/c the internet then?
RE: About PC suspend mode by ShawnZ on 07-26-2007 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Wait im confused. But the thing I unticked was my network card. So that means if the network card doesnt turn off when comp goes into suspend mode, wont it not d/c the internet then?

it will, because all your programs pause.