Shoutbox

Backlight on laptop off? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Backlight on laptop off? (/showthread.php?tid=76309)

Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-24-2007 at 10:39 PM

Today I was just browsing firefox on my laptop. And I went to create a network bridge for my connection for PS2 online, and my laptop just shut off, and when I turn it back on, i cant see the screen! I can see something from the side, but its like mostly black. I managed to look through the side enough to enable S-VIDEO and im typing right now while looking at my TV. if anyone knows how to fix this please tell me! IT will be hard since i can hardly see anything. :D

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Nathan on 07-24-2007 at 10:40 PM

Press: fn and f6 but sometime it changes, it looks like a display with a star

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by CookieRevised on 07-24-2007 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Press: fn and f6 but sometime it changes, it looks like a display with a star
That extremely depends on the model of the laptop (eg: with me Fn+F6 is turning the screen off!).

And you need to have the driver/software installed for the FN key to work.

But, yes, on most laptops (with the proper software/drivers installed) you can alter the brightness of the screen by using the FN key in combination with another key (which depends on the laptop brand and model).

;)
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-24-2007 at 10:44 PM

I did. I exited super video mode, and did what you told me to do, but i did not notice anything different and am still at a black but not completly black screen

I dont htink its the brightness cookie, because its like very very dark, and
I know my laptops maximum dark level for brightness, and this exeeds it by far
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Nathan on 07-24-2007 at 10:46 PM

Ok, it looks like you've turned down your brightness try looking for a up arrow for the brightness

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-24-2007 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Ok, it looks like you've turned down your brightness try looking for a up arrow for the brightness
quote:
Originally posted by Steven

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Nathan on 07-24-2007 at 11:07 PM

Hmm, maybe you have turned the screen on, but havnt turned the backlight on.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Adeptus on 07-24-2007 at 11:25 PM

My first thought was that you may have accidentally switched to external display only mode -- another of the brand-dependent key combinations, usually Fn + some function key.  You should try to find this key combination for your laptop (the function key involved is typically marked with a symbol that looks like two screens) and press it a few times, just in case.

However, my second thought was that's probably not it: when the built-in screen is switched off, it is off -- there is no display on it.  You had display, just no backlight.

You should rule out the external display switch and also reboot the laptop and observe, in case the screen lights up initially and only goes dark after Windows boots, which would point to some software problem. 

Lacking either of those, it'd seem that you have a backlight or backlight inverter failure, which would have to be repaired at a shop.  I hope the laptop is still under warranty -- otherwise, you may be looking at a pretty expensive repair.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by CookieRevised on 07-24-2007 at 11:29 PM

quote:
I was more commenting on the use of the FN key...

Anyways, brightness = 'backlight'

On many laptops you also have dedicated apps and stuff to further decrease/increase the brightness level. eg: I can go so far using the FN key (in combination with another Function Key) on my laptop. Yet, I have a dedicated 'power saving' tool which let me set the brighness from 10% to 100% (where 10% is extremely dark)...

Also, it ight be the contrast level which is set too low...
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-25-2007 at 01:17 AM

Thanks cookie. In response to adeptus about depends on which laptop you have, I have an old HP pavilion ze4000 or ze4540. I will post a screenshot of my S-video settings. Since im  using my tv for the monintor.

[Image: settingssvideo.jpg]

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by lizard.boy on 07-25-2007 at 02:43 AM

If you reboot, does the backlight come back on? Maybe it burnt out.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Voldemort on 07-25-2007 at 03:42 AM

When you turn on your computer, at the point where the bios screen appears (or before?), does it have any light?

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Verte on 07-25-2007 at 05:14 AM

My thinkpad is rather antiquated, and the backlight often takes ages to start up [or just doesn't]. There's a little button that the screen hits when you fold it- tapping it puts the laptop to sleep, and tapping it again usually fixes the light.

Failing that, your screen might just be dead. If rebooting doesn't turn your screen back on, you might not be able to get it working again I would think :(

There may be a way to do it, see I've heard that some laptop backlights can be controlled through ACPI or dedicated hardware registers, but exactly how you're going to access them I'm not sure. The Linux thinkpad driver* works in this way and can control these signals through /proc. Still, it's not something I've messed about with. And even if you do manage to restart it through some such method, if you've already tried rebooting and that kills the light, you're going to have a great time sending ACPI signals every time your laptop starts.

Is it still under warranty? :)

* Note that the driver gives the proc interface- the ACPI behaviour of the Fn buttons is enabled even without any drivers installed, the main point of the drivers is masking this behaviour or controlling them through scripts. I imagine it's a similar story for other laptop brands.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-25-2007 at 12:30 PM

Hmph,ACPI sounds confusing to me,. but could the backlight have anything to do with me experimenting with S-video ea lier today? And When I tried to create a network bridge, (this was out of s-video mode and the backlight was on) my laptop  just shut off unexpectedly and when I turned it Back on, there was no backlight. :( And Nope the backlight never turns on, I have a flashlight with me and when i shine it i can see WINDOWS loading screen. So it never turns on at any point.

RE: RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Verte on 07-25-2007 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Hmph,ACPI sounds confusing to me,. but could the backlight have anything to do with me experimenting with S-video ea lier today? And When I tried to create a network bridge, (this was out of s-video mode and the backlight was on) my laptop  just shut off unexpectedly and when I turned it Back on, there was no backlight.

I don't see how. If you can still see silhouettes on the screen when you look at it right, then as far as the laptop is concerned the screen is on. If your laptop suddenly turned off, maybe there's a short or something. Either way, it's not looking like there is an easy fix for this. I'd say even the ACPI method won't work- it looks like that screen is gone.
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-25-2007 at 01:32 PM

Crap. Well I probably am getting a FREE laptop from the school and it will  be  a DELL, hopefully an insporon or whatever there spelled. Im getting one in late september because of my messy handwriting. 8 years to late though.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Voldemort on 07-25-2007 at 08:17 PM

Your inverter or your backlight are either fucked  (lcd itself isn't as you can see what's on it)or have some loose connection, like it used to happen to me,  try closing it fast/hard and opening it back again, maybe the cable is only a tiny bit loose :p

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Menthix on 07-25-2007 at 08:27 PM

How old is the laptop? If it's still under warranty they will probably fix for free.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-25-2007 at 08:51 PM

Warrenty is not an option I wish, Im thinking it was a setting i might of touched by accident. I dont see how it would just go dead like that..

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by ShawnZ on 07-25-2007 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Warrenty is not an option I wish, Im thinking it was a setting i might of touched by accident. I dont see how it would just go dead like that..

the same way light bulbs burn out? :p
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-25-2007 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

the same way light bulbs burn out? :p

Yeah but I remember I made a thread a while back and I had a different problem with a different laptop, and the problem was that when I connected my webcam into my laptop and enabled it on msn for my contacts to view, the backlight shutoff and could only be fixed if I end task on msnmsgr.exe or whatever it was called, and people on this forum said it was because of my bios chip. It probably has nothing to do with my problem now, but just wanted to say that.
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Voldemort on 07-25-2007 at 09:07 PM

dude, if it doesn't light up even when you're not on windows forget the software problem... Your inverter or your backlight is dead...

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-26-2007 at 12:31 PM

So 100% its not a setting? Maybe I can take a screenshot if you want of something that will help you? :(

RE: RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Verte on 07-26-2007 at 02:08 PM

quote:
So 100% its not a setting? Maybe I can take a screenshot if you want of something that will help you? :(

A screenshot will look completely normal, the same as a screenshot would look completely normal if you unplugged a monitor from a desktop.
RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Steven on 07-26-2007 at 03:21 PM

No i mean a screenshot of the settings so then someone might say" oh thats the problem you need to change that"

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by Menthix on 07-26-2007 at 03:25 PM

If the screen doesn't light up while booting there is 100% no way it is related to any Windows setting.

It *may* be a BIOS setting (brightness) but reading most of the posts that seems very unlikely and looks like you checked it already.

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by smaglikn on 08-04-2007 at 02:09 AM

I'm having the same no backlight problem on my 5 yr old Compaq. I discovered that I can get the backlight to work if I boot Windows into Safe Mode. I've tried different power schemes in Control Panel but no success on rebooting in Normal Mode. Looks like a Windows problem but nothing in Micosoft Knowledgebase. Any ideas?

RE: Backlight on laptop off? by albert on 08-04-2007 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smaglikn
I'm having the same no backlight problem on my 5 yr old Compaq. I discovered that I can get the backlight to work if I boot Windows into Safe Mode. I've tried different power schemes in Control Panel but no success on rebooting in Normal Mode. Looks like a Windows problem but nothing in Micosoft Knowledgebase. Any ideas?

I read this thread quite fast.. If I can remember correctly i had this problem on my presario 2100CA ... I had talked with HP and the way to fix this was to flash the bios..

It worked for me, although I don't remember how I did it exactly.