Shoutbox

An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses (/showthread.php?tid=76402)

An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 07-29-2007 at 10:40 PM

As I'm a computer geek, this feels quite embarrasing to admit. Yes, I accidentely accepted a virus transfer on MSN an hour ago:$

Well, this is not just a problem affecting me in terms of embarrasement, it also affects all my contacts, and eventually their contacts and so on. Viruses spread easy on MSN and then you just sit there, watching the chat windows go crazy all over the screen. Well, it's possible to stop it by CTRL+ALT+DELETE, but then the virus already has spread itself to half a dozen of contacts. If you restart MSN just to change your alias to "Warning I'm infected by a virus, please wear protection to prevent it from spreading", the virus just takes over and makes a new attempt to infect all the contacts.

For that reason I think it would be a great idea to add a small button in MSN which prevents all kind of file transfer, both in and out. So you can start MSN to tell all of your friends about the virus, and even have the main function (chatting) left on, during the virus-removal-procedure.

I don't know whether this is possible or not, or if it sounds interesting for the rest of the community, but one thing I know for sure, is that this will be really helpful during a virus infection. Maybe it sounds really unneccessary to add a whole extra button just for this task. Well tell that to the guys who designs keyboards and adds two unuseful Windows-buttons. Maybe this would be a great improvement of the security for all MSN users around the globe.

//T0nnan

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Jesus on 07-30-2007 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by t0nnan
add a small button in MSN which prevents all kind of file transfer, both in and out.
problem is, most WLM viruses are spread using a plain text link (url), so blocking file transfers would not make a difference at all.

Just don't click any urls you receive without asking what it is and if your contact has sent it him/herself.
RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 07-30-2007 at 12:56 AM

well, yea, i know. the thing is that its getting more and more usual to see the ones that directly infects the system, and then takes control over msn so it can replicate itself automatically in zip-archives using the file transfer function in WLM as i have noticed. But i have fixed that problem now by using aMSN in Linux instead, this works much smoother. But maybe it could be a good idea to add a security tab in the msgpluslive-menu loaded with settings that could increase the protection against viruses and other threats.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Cloudly on 07-30-2007 at 09:06 AM

You could have an option to blank out all URL's sent in text and all file tranfsers, and so on. So in emergency you can blank them out to avoid trouble. Scripts for this are possible I am asuming *-)

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 07-30-2007 at 03:30 PM

Yes, exactly Cloudly, would'nt it be a very useful script when your MSN goes totally crazy on just sending viruses to the contacts.. Well it's always possible to install aMSN, which the virus isn't constructed for. But Messenger Plus live is made for WLM, and it's of everybody's interest to improve the program in all aspects. The main thing with this software isn't "hey lets add lots of funny functions so we can have funnier", but it is made to improve WLM. So lets improve the security in the worlds biggest security issue, a program that in fact is on 24/7 on the most computers, and that by this plus-addon can acept file transfers automatically. Its like a big black hole in thousands of computers.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Patchou on 07-30-2007 at 05:45 PM

Disabling file transfers may not be a bad idea indeed. I'll check that out.

Although I have to say I count on Microsoft to fix this on their side one way or the other. They don't have much choice.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 07-30-2007 at 05:53 PM

Indeed, this feature should be included in WLM from scratch, so the security is as high as possible, even without the Plus-addon.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by absorbation on 07-31-2007 at 01:30 PM

Microsoft are sloppy when blocking viruses. They block all messages containing .pif .scr, or staff.php. They have now took the ridiculous step off blocking all .info domains as well! They don't block specific URL's, which is the huge problem with the Messenger team and their sloppy programming.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Shiny Rabbit on 08-07-2007 at 07:07 PM

if it's someone i don't talk to and they send a file (like the photo album thing, 1 guy seemed persistant in sending it) i always ask if there's any reason they're sending it to me or if it's a URL, i'll go on it, if it starts trying to download something that looks suspicious, i don't download it, if it downloads anyway, then antivir goes nuts and deletes it before it touches my harddrive, simple

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 08-07-2007 at 10:10 PM

well, some dont antivirus software, some dont update their antivirus software, some antivirus applications dont "go nuts" by the users' custom config, some well-written viruses can execute some of its self-replicating code without being detected, some users are tired and just clicks on the link/accept for the virus without thinking about it, and some users of this plus-addon have auto-accept on for file transfers. And its not only the guys you dont talk to on msn that can get infected by a virus.

Well, there are so many factors, and by a tiny little option that turns off the file transfer scripts in MSN you could make a little difference by stopping a huge quantity of the viruses spreading through MSN.
And thats the main idea, that i was aiming for when i started this thread. There are probably lots of tweaks you can add to MSN for preventing spreading of viruses, and its really worth the effort.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Nathan on 08-08-2007 at 12:28 AM

actually they block more than you think, heres a list of everything they block:

\.pif
\.scr
grouppicture\.php
groupicture\.php
gallery\.php
staff\.php
pics\.php
msn\.php\?email=
download\.php
xmas-2006
miralafoto/foto\.exe
profile\.php\?
tufoto
verti2/fantasma\.zip
armazfiles\.smtp\.ru
chnstudio\.com/upload/impluse\.exe
t35\.com
members\.lycos\.co\.uk/svy21/t/contact\.php
sonresimler1\.googlepages\.com/ozelresimler\.htm
viotagallery\.com
image001\.png
image002\.gif
funbuddyicons\.com
wellwell\.biz
casedinjertionkderunhdaseo\.com
jertionkdewiondaserunf\.com
butuinkdesionmas\.com
imp\.exe
bush-gracioso\.exe
memebers\.lycos\.co\.uk/getmessenger
get-messenger
belgravehelpdesk\.com
xpimad\.com
album\.zip
malbranche\.goracer\.de
albrahem\.com
improfile\.net
unknowntools\.com
hetandunhasde\.com
thecoolpics\.net
www\.provnarkotika\.com
gratishost\.com
dreamlife365\.com
whoadmitsyou\.com
blockoo\.com
baratinha\.mypets\.ws
messangerstats\.net
messengertools\.org
stuffplug\.com/temp/downgrdr\.exe
hornymatches\.com
iwantu\.com
block-checker\.com
amigosparasempre\.smtp\.ru
amigosparasempro\.smtp\.ru
chinacircle\.com
mensagemparavc\.mail15\.com
mprofiles\.net/members\.php\?msn=
930le\.com
66663\.cn
shusu\.cn
1717wan\.cn
995ba\.com
mydipan\.cn
51kongqi\.com
94nile\.com
life365\.com
photogbase\.com/pictures\.php\?photo656\.jpg
mypengyou\.com
51pingguo\.cn
spotyourface\.net/main/pictures/sexy
windowslivemessenger\.biz
mensageirovirtual\.land\.ru
provnarkotika\.com
tinyurl\.com/asdkfh13/
wasedinterfunva\.com
qerunherdasfunkin\.com
photos\.zip
2nnvc7
urltea\.com
urltea\.com/p2s
tinyurl\.com/2nnvc7
linkangel\.net/msn
messenger-tips\.com
imrealm\.com
blocknblock\.com
imtract\.com
blockinrio
messaging-names
tebloqueo\.com
mesns\.com
messenger-tips\.com
get-messenger\.com
hotbeachpics\.net
wadesuntiondketunhasde\.com
la\.gg/upl
cbswest\.com
newmsn
cirnews\.com
easedrunkiondehunfans\.com
amazingsexy\.net
nishiwo\.com
vetionkdesunjadefin\.com
handeusjinkdewshishu\.com
pozaseruiasterduin\.com
okinyunhfeunasterfunjin\.com
messengerscan\.com
\.info
messenger-scan
my-msn\.servebeer\.com
summer2008
images\.zip
messengerscan\.net
msn-csi\.tk
messenger-contacts\.tk
xedinkiontnherioplinades\.com
messenger-list\.com
messengercheck\.biz
msn-contacts\.tk
myalbum2007\.zip
cirnews\.com
messenger-checker\.tk
msn-live-scanner\.tk

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 08-08-2007 at 12:47 AM

umm, okey, that sounds really great. But what if the users can control a little bit more. Would that heart Microsoft/MSN as a company? Or will it help the more advanced users to prevent the window that is left open 24/7 in the computer, aka MSN, to spread viruses? Well, there are many questions, but i know one thing for sure, advanced users, as myself likes to have control of every single application on the computer, even MSN, and MSN is one of the most limited applications. So just give me control of what my MSN client is trying to send to other people, cause having a virus that spreads through msn is like having aids, you need to take your own responsibility in stopping the virus. I cant just sit here with that virus hoping everyone has a good antivirus software... Well, my point is that it feels really unsafe, knowing that all programs running on my computer, wheater its a virus or anything else, just can make my msn client send files to my contacts. And i cant prevent it. Well i could download amsn, which lacks in functionality, or i could stop using msn, which is not an option. I got the virus because i was tired and didnt look at the filesize, and the message the virus left on msn before spreading was written in well-written swedish, which is really rare. So, i mean it can trick everyone, even the most experienced users..

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Nathan on 08-08-2007 at 12:55 AM

Well I think we should have a setting window were we can control what messages you want to see or not. So if I add that I dont want to recieve a message with blahmsnvirus.com in it or something I can do that.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by MicroWay on 08-08-2007 at 01:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
I think we should have a setting window were we can control what messages you want to see or not. So if I add that I dont want to recieve a message with blahmsnvirus.com in it or something I can do that.
Well, nice idea, but will not be 100% effective on preventing you from a MSN's virus: in that way, all people will have to recieve the message at least once. And remember that www.mipic.com is direfent from www.mypic.com. What I mean now, is that the list will become toooo long.... (not including the size of it)...
What we can easly do is to disable links on the chat window (note that this is only prevent you to click on it and acidently  open it)...
:)

Just forget to say, that if you update the list using a site, it'll be missing some hided or not so public viruses...
RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by Dane on 08-08-2007 at 04:40 AM

I very much have been supportive of Plus! including a form of its own "Security Center", to help prevent viruses from spreading in ALL means...Which could be done in a variety of ways.

RE: An idea to prevent MSN-spread viruses by t0nnan on 08-08-2007 at 11:40 AM

well, it sounds really good that we actually have people here that can and want to improve the security in MSN, and i really think that we are on our way to create what MSN should had since version one. A "Security Center". I dont know if there is anytihing more to say from my side, as i have stated my arguments pretty clearly. So Good Luck to all the developers, and i hope this "debate" can improve in some point.