Shoutbox

new windows os - and no not vista! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: new windows os - and no not vista! (/showthread.php?tid=76429)

new windows os - and no not vista! by Th3rmal on 07-31-2007 at 12:27 PM

there seems to be a new windows os coming out in about three years...called "windows 7" apparantly..take a look at this...

Clicky

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Ezra on 07-31-2007 at 12:38 PM

OLD :P

I can also already tell you another headline!, in about six/seven years, ANOTHER windows will come out! OMG :o

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Th3rmal on 07-31-2007 at 12:40 PM

ZOMG no way! i wonder what weird and wonderful name they will come up for that one...

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Volv on 07-31-2007 at 12:45 PM

"Windows 7" isn't the official name...
This is old news, Microsoft already announced long ago that they plan to be releasing Windows on a more regular basis than in the past (much like Mac OS).

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by absorbation on 07-31-2007 at 01:39 PM

The regular releases will be so much better. Vista is a huge, great milestone for Microsoft, but boy is it not perfected yet. It just needs another update to really tweak everything into place and provide an OS that has had the time to mature :P.

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by albert on 07-31-2007 at 02:45 PM

As mentionned this is pretty old, Vienna was it's first codename if I am not wrong, and it Seven will change along the way probably. :P

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by andrewdodd13 on 07-31-2007 at 02:54 PM

Erm, next version of Windows to be released with be Windows Server 2008 - you can pick up Beta 3 atm if you like. :P.

But yeah, this is old. :)

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Supersonicdarky on 07-31-2007 at 03:04 PM

old.

first it was called blackcomb, then vienna, now 7. what lame name will they come up with next?

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by andrey on 07-31-2007 at 03:05 PM

pff who needs a new Windows OS anyway atm.. only thing i'd like to see is XP SP3.

But I'll use Vienna when it comes out, because I think it'll be more of a milestone than Vista was..

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by albert on 07-31-2007 at 03:06 PM

The funny thing is that I read somewhere they had started working on it before finalizing what has been the multiples delays Windows Vista. :P

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Verte on 07-31-2007 at 03:30 PM

Slashdot were calling it Windows Se7en. I don't think it will be that kind of horror story- I actually do think they will deliver much of the nice things we were promised for Vista. But, time will tell.

RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Ezra on 07-31-2007 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
The funny thing is that I read somewhere they had started working on it before finalizing what has been the multiples delays Windows Vista. :P

That's standard, they are probably already working on the successor of 'Seven' already, maybe not on real code yet, but thinking about features and stuff.

And if they already started with the code they can easily fix the bugs that are found while working on Vista in the next version.
RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by joey on 07-31-2007 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Slashdot were calling it Windows Se7en....

lol, you gotta keep up with the times :P
leet speak in the name, now that would be a disaster.

you there's approximatly 50million lines of code in Vista. :O
RE: RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Verte on 07-31-2007 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Slashdot were calling it Windows Se7en....

lol, you gotta keep up with the times :P
leet speak in the name, now that would be a disaster.

you there's approximatly 50million lines of code in Vista. :O

No no :) http://imdb.com/title/tt0114369/

Are they 50 million new lines? :)

Anyway, that's what, 10000 lines per developer? restricted to SMOP that'd be threeish months work [of course, there's a lot more than a simple matter of programming, because of those wonderful things called testing and revision cycles].
RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by joey on 07-31-2007 at 04:13 PM

i was refering to windows using it. its bad enough they still make money and havent been destroyed or gone out of buniness. :P and then there's the crappy name's, that wouldnt really help i dont think, in my eyes it would be about as popular as the london olymics logo.

new windows os - and no not vista! by Verte on 07-31-2007 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
i was refering to windows using it. its bad enough they still make money and havent been destroyed or gone out of buniness. :P and then there's the crappy name's, that wouldnt really help i dont think, in my eyes it would be about as popular as the london olymics logo.

Awww, it's kind of nice they are letting blind people draw the logo. They are part of the world too!

Have you ever tried to think of a descriptive name for an operating system? Still, that name was just asking for bad Seinfield jokes etc.

Microsoft certainly have the resources to do something extraordinary with the next release, but I don't think they will. Even if they do, I'd still enjoy watching them suffer a net loss. I'd like to kick them in the pants for a few things. At least until they show some humility and respect for their customers.
RE: new windows os - and no not vista! by Nefzen on 07-31-2007 at 06:31 PM

well, it was supposed to be the next windows, and Vista was just supposed to be a middle OS, but then Vista took longer and longer, more and more people were needed to redo XP, and they want money.
so, this is it.