Shoutbox

IDE HDD limitations - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: IDE HDD limitations (/showthread.php?tid=76524)

IDE HDD limitations by ryxdp on 08-03-2007 at 10:56 PM

I've been reading up on the subject, and what I found is that IDE HDD's don't go larger than 137.4GB on XP. (just checking if that's true?) Now, seeing as I'm probably getting a 200GB disk from a friend, I'm not sure if it applies to SATA disks as well.

Probably not.

EDIT:
Apparently it's SATA1 and "It may also have IDE"

I'm not sure what type of drive has IDE and SATA together, but it's gotta be one of the two.

RE: IDE HDD limitations by Kenji on 08-04-2007 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
I found is that IDE HDD's don't go larger than 137.4GB on XP.
They do, you just need SP1 installed.(I think, it could be SP2..)

RE: IDE HDD limitations by Adeptus on 08-04-2007 at 12:39 AM

48-bit LBA support was added in SP1, correct.

If your Windows CD is the original release, you may want to slipstream in the current service pack before you install Windows.

RE: IDE HDD limitations by ryxdp on 08-04-2007 at 04:01 AM

I'll probably not use the 200GB for Windows, more likely for downloads, but we'll see what fate has to offer. atm I'm using Seagates, one 40GB (winxpprosp2) and a 60GB for downloads (couldn't install xp on it so it replaced the old 1.5GB one)

My dad had to separate the two partitions with his 350GB SATA, do I just use PartitionMagic or whatever to merge them together again (if that is possible)?

RE: IDE HDD limitations by kao on 08-04-2007 at 10:04 PM

Just install from an XP disk which has SP2 on it and you won't have problems. That limitation was before SP1.

RE: IDE HDD limitations by ryxdp on 08-04-2007 at 10:36 PM

I just have a plain old XP disk (no SP's), so I might get PartitionMagic and see if it can merge partitions.

RE: IDE HDD limitations by lopardo on 08-04-2007 at 11:02 PM

You can create a Windows XP SP2 CD with your RTM XP CD and the SP2 installer. Check this out: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

RE: IDE HDD limitations by ryxdp on 08-04-2007 at 11:16 PM

I think the easiest way for me is to just install SP2 and PartitionMagic then  merge the two parts together.

Thanks anyway :)