Shoutbox

Vista over Ubuntu - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Vista over Ubuntu (/showthread.php?tid=76564)

Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-05-2007 at 08:21 PM

Well the subject looks kind of heird I know... :P

I'm going to format my pc, still don't know when, but I will, and I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu (or Fedora) and then install VMWare and run Vista on it.. I need some opinions about it. Does anyone suggest anything else, but alike?

I'm thinking of doing it that way because linux is 'virus safe' short of..... I would just have a firewall in the linux and I could run windows virus free...

RE: Vista over Ubuntu by MeEtc on 08-05-2007 at 08:27 PM

If you are unsure, why not just get both? dual boot is a great option, assuming you have the disk space. you'll want at least 3 partitions, one for each OS, plus one shared (FAT32). you'll want at least 20GB for each OS.

RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-05-2007 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
If you are unsure, why not just get both? dual boot is a great option, assuming you have the disk space. you'll want at least 3 partitions, one for each OS, plus one shared (FAT32). you'll want at least 20GB for each OS.

I didn't mean that. I meant running one over the other using VMWare Workstation:)

Its allows you to create a virtual machine and I wanted to use it because linux is basicly virus free, so I would have linux installed, then on the virtual machine install Vista and use it on full screen. But they're both running...

Now that I'm thinking, I have an old computer which I could turn into a server. I have wireless because I have several computers on my house, so if I had linux on the server and the router there, it would filter anyway *-) (and save space on my own pc... :P)
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by prashker on 08-05-2007 at 10:46 PM

http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2007/05/04/running...-vmware-on-ubuntu/

RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-05-2007 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2007/05/04/running...-vmware-on-ubuntu/

LOL :o

Thanks ^^

edit:

I already have 1Gb of RAM and I'm thinking of buying 2x1Gb more... That way I could have 512Mb or 1Gb to linux and the rest to Vista...
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by Verte on 08-06-2007 at 07:29 AM

This is sillyness. Sure, it will be a little more resilient to intentional hacks directed at the OS through HTTP. However, most exploits work through applications and dynamic web content, which you will still be running in Windows I presume. I don't think the performance loss is really worth it for what is essentially a firewall and an easy way to reinstall.

RE: Vista over Ubuntu by ShawnZ on 08-06-2007 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
you'll want at least 3 partitions, one for each OS, plus one shared (FAT32).

ubuntu supports ntfs, and with a small download, windows supports EXT3...
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by Nefzen on 08-06-2007 at 10:42 AM

Just because the windows is inside Linux, doesn't mean it won't get Viruses :P
That's like... having iron out in the rain. Would it rust any less with a silver plate under it?

I have tried Fedora's Red Hat, and I was rather disappointed. After that I installed Ubuntu, and I have fount that it's much better :)
If you are going to install Ubuntu, you might want to use Easy Ubuntu, and try both Gnone and KDE environments to see which you like best.

As for NTFS support, well, as far as I know it's not 100% perfect, it can't quite write well on NTFS, but yes, Windows can easily support EXT3 though without the permissions, and it has caused me a certain "corruption" in the hard drive (which the Linux says is "uncontentious", but I believe it will be better in newer version (maybe even the current one, I installed mine a long time ago)

RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nefzen
Just because the windows is inside Linux, doesn't mean it won't get Viruses :P
That's like... having iron out in the rain. Would it rust any less with a silver plate under it?

I have tried Fedora's Red Hat, and I was rather disappointed. After that I installed Ubuntu, and I have fount that it's much better :)
If you are going to install Ubuntu, you might want to use Easy Ubuntu, and try both Gnone and KDE environments to see which you like best.

As for NTFS support, well, as far as I know it's not 100% perfect, it can't quite write well on NTFS, but yes, Windows can easily support EXT3 though without the permissions, and it has caused me a certain "corruption" in the hard drive (which the Linux says is "uncontentious", but I believe it will be better in newer version (maybe even the current one, I installed mine a long time ago)

Who makes viruses to linux..? almost no one because it's not very used by 'regular people':P (although it's getting more popular). with it I don't have to install an antivirus on windows. though I would have firewall on both linux and windows. *-)

I've try (man! I never got this verb right, is it regular? does it has simple past like tried? bla! XD) Fedora Core 6, I liked it, although it's complicated, now I have ubuntu 7.0.4 on a VM, it's nice too.

I think I'll just make 2 partitions, a small one to linux and the rest to Vista, 'cause I'll be working on windows 98% of the time:P

sillyness..? I call it curiosity, I've never worked much with linux and I've wanted to try it out. Especially for programming... Besides, if I virus come to Vista, whatever, because on a VM it's like a shell.:)
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by Volv on 08-06-2007 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LifelesS
Who makes viruses to linux..?
The point is you're going to be Windows Vista on a virtual machine, not Linux. The point of a virtual machine is that it is essentially another computer altogether, it's not directly subject to linux's "protection". Sure, Linux might not be infected, but your virtual machine in itself is subject to all the dangers of any Vista PC.

What you're basically doing is forfeiting significant levels of performance and convenience for no apparent reason whatsoever, you're not gaining any security advantage on your Vista, the following statement is completely invalid:
quote:
I would just have a firewall in the linux and I could run windows virus free...

RE: Vista over Ubuntu by Nefzen on 08-06-2007 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
Who makes viruses to linux..?
The point is you're going to be Windows Vista on a virtual machine, not Linux. The point of a virtual machine is that it is essentially another computer altogether, it's not directly subject to linux's "protection". Sure, Linux might not be infected, but your virtual machine in itself is subject to all the dangers of any Vista PC.

What you're basically doing is forfeiting significant levels of performance and convenience for no apparent reason whatsoever, you're not gaining any security advantage on your Vista, the following statement is completely invalid:
quote:
I would just have a firewall in the linux and I could run windows virus free...

exactly, having Vista running on top of Linux is like putting iron on a golden plate. Just because the plate will not rust, doesn't mean the iron that is on it won't.

(and yes, it's "I have tried")
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by Snake on 08-06-2007 at 01:36 PM

From personal expreince I would say running Vista inside linux  is a bad idea.

• Still can get viruses
    VMware does not do 3D at all
    It can be slow (very slow)
    Your computer beter have some serous horsepower to pull it off

I recomand duel booting.
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 02:45 PM

Thanks for the replies:),

Next time I format I'll install Vista, then probably linux or something

Still need to check if the software & hardware I have is compatible with Vista... I ran the software that checks it a while a ago and the antivirus  (or firewall, don't remember) that I have still wasn't compatible and there was nothing on their website. Main reason that I haven't changed to Vista...

RE: Vista over Ubuntu by Verte on 08-06-2007 at 03:00 PM

Well, there are plenty of firewalls that do work on Vista, I'm sure there are recent threads on this. Besides, Vista support is being added fairly quickly now- I'm not sure any major AV provider doesn't support it now. Been hearing good things about the Vista firewall too.

Good luck with the format :)

Edit: just wanted to stress though, most security breaches come from the inside- from applications, a canonical example being IE. This is why the GNU/Linux layer wont do what you want. Putting tougher restrictions on active content on untrusted services is probably the best way to keep safe from most infections.

RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Well, there are plenty of firewalls that do work on Vista, I'm sure there are recent threads on this. Besides, Vista support is being added fairly quickly now- I'm not sure any major AV provider doesn't support it now. Been hearing good things about the Vista firewall too.

Good luck with the format :)

Edit: just wanted to stress though, most security breaches come from the inside- from applications, a canonical example being IE. This is why the GNU/Linux layer wont do what you want. Putting tougher restrictions on active content on untrusted services is probably the best way to keep safe from most infections.

I've ran upgrade advisor and same thing, it's just the firewall (Outpost Firewall).
RE: Vista over Ubuntu by vaccination on 08-06-2007 at 03:50 PM

quote:

I've ran upgrade advisor and same thing, it's just the firewall (Outpost Firewall).
Windows Firewall Should see you though fine. But I'm pretty sure Outpost works on Vista too.(haven't used it since I formatted, couldn't be bothered 'buying' it again 8-))
RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Windows Firewall Should see you though fine. But I'm pretty sure Outpost works on Vista too.(haven't used it since I formatted, couldn't be bothered 'buying' it again 8-))

I've just went to their website a mins ago, same has it was a months ago -.-

quote:
The current versions of Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 and Outpost Security Suite Pro 2007 are not Vista-compatible. However, Vista-compatible versions of both products are in development and will be available to all registered users of Outpost products with a current license free of charge. Products will be available for both 32bit and 64bit platforms.

RE: Vista over Ubuntu by vaccination on 08-06-2007 at 07:53 PM

Ah, my bad. But like I say, I think you should be fine. You can always use a free alternative until Outpost releases a Vista version.

RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Ah, my bad. But like I say, I think you should be fine. You can always use a free alternative until Outpost releases a Vista version.

lol Yeah... although I don't mind waiting, I very much like outpost :P