Shoutbox

Guitarists, step up! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Guitarists, step up! (/showthread.php?tid=76578)

Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 03:01 PM

I know I'm not the only one that plays guitar around here...

Who else?

What guitar(s) do you have?

How did you start liking guitars?

I'm start with an example of myself:

Fender Squier Stratocaster;

y? All started when I found Dance eJay, quite some time ago, then advanced to Techno eJay, lately I've learned to use more advanced music production softwares and I tried out the guitar. Now I spend my time with the guitar, mixing some music and making some music :P

RE: Guitarists, step up! by joey on 08-06-2007 at 03:06 PM

i only really play drums, but i lke to try and play guitar and piano among others abit. my dad has this sort of old acoustic guitar, which is rather big for me, but im teaching myself, and anyone's i can get my hands on at band practice. =p most of the stuff i play is nice easy to listen shizzle like get cape wear cape fly, and smooth little numbers if you know what i mean. dont have a favourite guitar, as i dont know what any of them are called :P

RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 03:10 PM

drums is something I've always wanted to try too :P

Here's a website from where you can learn a lot:

Justin Guitar

RE: Guitarists, step up! by joey on 08-06-2007 at 03:22 PM

drums his hard, 4 limbs at the same time, and the amount of people that have asked me to try and teach them, the just give up after 10 minutes =p

fun to do though, and good for and-eye coordination.

hey thanks for the link, i think ill bookmark that one =]

RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
drums his hard, 4 limbs at the same time, and the amount of people that have asked me to try and teach them, the just give up after 10 minutes =p

fun to do though, and good for and-eye coordination.

hey thanks for the link, i think ill bookmark that one =]
[/quote

No problem =)

Then try to do this :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNAeELQ_Z8

Y eye coordination?

edit: do you know +44? I've seen a video of the drummer using only one arm, he had the other one hurt or something.. and he was still playing like hell... check the guy playing, his eyes aren't on the same position 1 second, he's allways moving his head up and down like crazy LOL :P

RE: Guitarists, step up! by vaccination on 08-06-2007 at 03:33 PM

I play guitar. My dad used to manage bands back in the day and so he had a few guitars and can play quite well. Bought me an acoustic when I was like 8, I got my first electric when I was like 12(Yamaha). Now I have a Fender Squire Stratocaster, Obey graphics edition.

I suck at drums ;< Bout only thing I can do is simple beat or double bass :P

I want a Jackson though ;_;

EDIT: oh and Santriani owns :P

RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
I play guitar. My dad used to manage bands back in the day and so he had a few guitars and can play quite well. Bought me an acoustic when I was like 8, I got my first electric when I was like 12(Yamaha). Now I have a Fender Squire Stratocaster, Obey graphics edition.

I suck at drums ;< Bout only thing I can do is simple beat or double bass :P

I want a Jackson though ;_;

EDIT: oh and Santriani owns :P

:P

mine's just like this

I bought the pack of guitar + amp. Now I'm upgrading thing by thing, already got a very nice cable, the one that came, if I turned the gain up and move the cable, you could hear it on the amp... Now I'm planning to buy a distortion pedal.

edit: btw, I'm using ultimate-guitar for the tabs, do you know any other goods ones? and ones that have musics without the guitar, I had one, but I lost it... (H) XD
RE: Guitarists, step up! by joey on 08-06-2007 at 03:40 PM

my favourite guitarist is jimmy hendrix, not just because he was good, but because of the way he played the songs he did, and how he learnt and grew up, childhood etc. im not too keen on satriani, he's really good but not my sort of music. i was stuck listening to him at work experience in HMV for two whole weeks :P

thats because he's travis barker, and he owns on drums, he's not just good, he OWNS! =p bloody fast when he wnts to be too =p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPncumXZExo >>> he's rather good too, shits all over me anyway =p

RE: Guitarists, step up! by vaccination on 08-06-2007 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LifelesS
:P

mine's just like this

mine =p

Hendrix is awesome too :P

I gots a Spider II, 15 watt 8 inch amp.

RE: RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by Vimto on 08-06-2007 at 03:50 PM

quote:

edit: do you know +44? I've seen a video of the drummer using only one arm, he had the other one hurt or something.. and he was still playing like hell... check the guy playing, his eyes aren't on the same position 1 second, he's allways moving his head up and down like crazy LOL :P

Travis barker rulz <3

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 (With the head bob=P)

RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-06-2007 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
my favourite guitarist is jimmy hendrix, not just because he was good, but because of the way he played the songs he did, and how he learnt and grew up, childhood etc. im not too keen on satriani, he's really good but not my sort of music. i was stuck listening to him at work experience in HMV for two whole weeks :P

thats because he's travis barker, and he owns on drums, he's not just good, he OWNS! =p bloody fast when he wnts to be too =p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPncumXZExo >>> he's rather good too, shits all over me anyway =p

AuCh.. he plays...

And I get to the point: band.
If it had a bass and a distortion guitar, overdriven or simply a normal electric, it would sound A LOT better. I think it's impossible to have a good music with only 1 instrument, no matter how good the guy that's playing is. It other sounds it's always better.

-----------------//----------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
I gots a Spider II, 15 watt 8 inch amp.

Mine's a Fender Frontman 15G - 38W, 15W R.M.S.

-----------------//----------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Vimto
Travis barker rulz <3

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 (With the head bob=P)

exactly :P

edit: very beautiful guitar :P
RE: Guitarists, step up! by Spunky on 08-07-2007 at 02:50 PM

I play bass. It's a Fender Squire P-Bass :p (can't complai cuz i got it for free)

RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-07-2007 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I play bass. It's a Fender Squire P-Bass :p (can't complai cuz i got it for free)

Never tried bass... Doesn't call me either :P
RE: Guitarists, step up! by joey on 08-07-2007 at 03:16 PM

i [did] know an awesome black guy that played bass. he was one of my tutors at college, and he owned on bass:P i only have small fingers, so its hard for me, but it sounds funky sometimes =p

RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-07-2007 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
i [did] know an awesome black guy that played bass. he was one of my tutors at college, and he owned on bass:P i only have small fingers, so its hard for me, but it sounds funky sometimes =p

lool

I haven't got any problem because of the size of my fingers lol

I think they go well with the guitar I have XD
RE: Guitarists, step up! by vaccination on 08-07-2007 at 04:14 PM

don't like bass ;<

It can be awesome but I'm not good at it =p

RE: Guitarists, step up! by Vazza on 08-08-2007 at 06:05 PM

quote:

I have an acoustic [don't ask me what it is] and I aquired a Classical one but I badly need to get both guitars restrung, not so much the acoustic although I think the strings are more likely to go now that I've started playing with a plectrum again.

quote:
It started when I was about 11/12 when one of my primary school teachers taught us. I was one of the first to pick up the whole playing and singing at he same time thing. I never took it seriously and even in high school despite getting lessons I could never pick the whole finger picking thing up.

I'll have been playing for almost 9/10 years but it's only been recently that I've started teaching myself how to play again and taking it much more seriously and have considered...busking!

RE: Guitarists, step up! by GiantSpider on 08-08-2007 at 08:20 PM

Ok, I live for music. So here we go.

First, we have my classical guitar, lovely for chord playing, can't beat its sound, anything else though and its worse than useless.

[Image: 08082007002oq5.th.jpg]

After that we have my crappy 'lil Yam ERG 121. Part of a starters kit thing, had it awhile.

[Image: 08082007003zd9.th.jpg]

See though, I am at heart a bass player so....

[Image: sta41510wy7.th.jpg]

This one be me on stage with my Musicman Stingray, god I love that thing.

And this one be my latest acqusition, a Shine 5 string bass. You know, because you need the extra bit on the low end.

[Image: 08082007001gg5.th.jpg]

This last one is me playing a Gibson Les Paul (unfortunately not mine) in the studio. It was a mates, he was producing the session, which incidentaly was for his own project, so he gave me the lend of it.

[Image: 09052007013vb5.th.jpg]

I've allways been into music, I started off like most do, classically. So I learned to play the trumpet. A long while after I started to pick up other brass instruments, they are all fundamentally the same, just in different keys and whatever.

I'd been brought up on a strict diet of "cock rock". So it was no surprise that I wanted to be like any of them on stage. It wasn't until fortune pushed one of my mates who played trumpet with me onto the drums in our band.  Not long after he started his own rock band. A year later he sacked his guitarist, the bass player moved onto guitar and he chucked me a bass & told me to learn it & be at rehersal on Friday. Soon after he gave me lessons on the drums and last year I taught myself the guitar.

Now wasn't that a long post :)

RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-08-2007 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
quote:

I have an acoustic [don't ask me what it is] and I aquired a Classical one but I badly need to get both guitars restrung, not so much the acoustic although I think the strings are more likely to go now that I've started playing with a plectrum again.

quote:
It started when I was about 11/12 when one of my primary school teachers taught us. I was one of the first to pick up the whole playing and singing at he same time thing. I never took it seriously and even in high school despite getting lessons I could never pick the whole finger picking thing up.

I'll have been playing for almost 9/10 years but it's only been recently that I've started teaching myself how to play again and taking it much more seriously and have considered...busking!

nice:)

Playing and singing at the same time does require coordenation and concentration... the hardest to me is strumming while singing, sometimes I get off rhythm:P because I'm left-handed and I play right-handed style, so chords for me are easy, keep a rhythm while strumming is more hard, though I can pick with my fingers easily...

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider

Ok, I live for music. So here we go.

First, we have my classical guitar, lovely for chord playing, can't beat its sound, anything else though and its worse than useless.

After that we have my crappy 'lil Yam ERG 121. Part of a starters kit thing, had it awhile.

See though, I am at heart a bass player so....

This one be me on stage with my Musicman Stingray, god I love that thing.

And this one be my latest acqusition, a Shine 5 string bass. You know, because you need the extra bit on the low end.

This last one is me playing a Gibson Les Paul (unfortunately not mine) in the studio. It was a mates, he was producing the session, which incidentaly was for his own project, so he gave me the lend of it.

I've allways been into music, I started off like most do, classically. So I learned to play the trumpet. A long while after I started to pick up other brass instruments, they are all fundamentally the same, just in different keys and whatever.

I'd been brought up on a strict diet of "cock rock". So it was no surprise that I wanted to be like any of them on stage. It wasn't until fortune pushed one of my mates who played trumpet with me onto the drums in our band.  Not long after he started his own rock band. A year later he sacked his guitarist, the bass player moved onto guitar and he chucked me a bass & told me to learn it & be at rehersal on Friday. Soon after he gave me lessons on the drums and last year I taught myself the guitar.

Now wasn't that a long post (Smilie)

Nice guitars.

My squier is also from a beginners pack.. however it's a really nice guitar, really happy with it.:P

I wish I could make a band, but I don't know of anyone who would like to... :\ playing and singing solo is all nice and bla bla, but it's better with a band.

RE: Guitarists, step up! by GiantSpider on 08-08-2007 at 09:36 PM

quote:
My squier is also from a beginners pack.. however it's a really nice guitar, really happy with it.
Btw, I wasn't mocking starter packs, I just don't like the one I have :p

Playing with a band is what its all about, thats where the magic happens.
RE: Guitarists, step up! by Vazza on 08-08-2007 at 09:38 PM

Yeah it does require concentration. But considering that I chord songs (in an unofficial capacity in one case) to play myself just by listening to the music, being able to sing it back to yourself is a must :)

RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-08-2007 at 09:41 PM

I haven't got to the point I can listen and play just from listenning (ultimate-guitar is a very good friend of mine(h))

RE: Guitarists, step up! by Vazza on 08-08-2007 at 09:47 PM

Ultimate-guitar has been a good friend to me too and sometimes if it's a song that I've done myself and I compare it to someone else, it tends just to have been chorded in a different key :)

Chording by listening is all about trial and error. Some things will work, some won't.

RE: Guitarists, step up! by prashker on 08-08-2007 at 09:53 PM

Air Guitar :cheesy:

RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-08-2007 at 09:54 PM

Yeah, once I was training some chords and I though 'humm... this chord looks just like the one in Leva-me contigo's song guess what, got it right XD

I had to put the name of the song, because it's a very beautiful song, only acoustic guitar and singer - Duarte Rosado -. Check it :P     link

RE: RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by stu on 08-11-2007 at 07:52 AM

quote:
edit: do you know +44? I've seen a video of the drummer using only one arm, he had the other one hurt or something.. and he was still playing like hell...

One of my favourite bands, Def Leppard, the drummer actually only has one arm. I saw them live in concert a few weeks ago, and they were absolutely amazing. I also play the drums and find it hard enough with 2 arms, amazing to see someone play with only one arm.

As for guitar, I like to think I can play a little accoustic, but I really have no idea what Im doing, lol. Slowly trying to learn though when I have the time to.
RE: Guitarists, step up! by joey on 08-11-2007 at 08:58 AM

lots of practice thats how its done! :P

guitar hero, now there's an instrument im good at :cheesy:

RE: RE: RE: RE: Guitarists, step up! by LifelesS on 08-11-2007 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stu
quote:
edit: do you know +44? I've seen a video of the drummer using only one arm, he had the other one hurt or something.. and he was still playing like hell...

One of my favourite bands, Def Leppard, the drummer actually only has one arm. I saw them live in concert a few weeks ago, and they were absolutely amazing. I also play the drums and find it hard enough with 2 arms, amazing to see someone play with only one arm.

As for guitar, I like to think I can play a little accoustic, but I really have no idea what Im doing, lol. Slowly trying to learn though when I have the time to.

There's also a guy that plays guitar with his feet, he doesn't have arms... auch

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
lots of practice thats how its done! (Smilie)

guitar hero, now there's an instrument im good at (Smilie)

Yeah it does require a lot of practice...

Funny thing, yesterday I had to play to john doe.... XD

Me and some friends of mine went to a bar near the beach and a friend of mine brought his acoustic, so I could play some songs and so. After a while in the bar one of my friends called me to play a song to the guys that were in the table next to us, they were already drunk so they enjoyed the music... (and the guitar was totally out of tune) LOL but was cool, playing to other people.