Shoutbox

Net Speed Peaks then Dies - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Net Speed Peaks then Dies (/showthread.php?tid=76719)

Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-12-2007 at 03:42 AM

Ok recently i have been noticing really weird issues with my internet connection, my connection has been crap for over 2 years on the router we have, i continually tell my dad to buy new but he doesnt, anyway, the average speed of my router for downloads is around 64-70kb/ps, but the other day it peaked twice and reached 100+kb/ps, if it can reach that number then why does my speed average at 67-70kb/ps ?? :S

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Snake on 08-12-2007 at 03:48 AM

What kind of router do you have? Also, who is your internet provider and where abouts do you live?

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Voldemort on 08-12-2007 at 04:08 AM

What are you downloading?
That matters too, you know :p

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-12-2007 at 04:12 AM

Yes i know that matters, but im talking constantly, not just with random stuff, and it only peaks for a few seconds...

quote:
Originally posted by Snake
What kind of router do you have? Also, who is your internet provider and where abouts do you live?
D-Link Router, E-Wire, Western Aussie.
RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Voldemort on 08-12-2007 at 04:16 AM

Well, with my old connection (cable), any download would start at 150 kbs and then it would decrease until it reached the speed i paid for, 50-60kbs (512 kbps), i think it was because of the way they used to regulate bandwidth...

What speed do you have?

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-12-2007 at 04:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Well, with my old connection (cable), any download would start at 150 kbs and then it would decrease until it reached the speed i paid for, 50-60kbs (512 kbps), i think it was because of the way they used to regulate bandwidth...

What speed do you have?
Not a clue, but my sisters is atleast 150kb/ps constantly.
RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Voldemort on 08-12-2007 at 04:23 AM

Sister uses the same connection?

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-12-2007 at 05:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Sister uses the same connection?
Via a Router yes, i swear i mentioned im on a router before.
RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by absorbation on 08-12-2007 at 11:21 AM

What are you downloading? That makes the biggest difference of them all, the server where the file is coming from :P.

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-12-2007 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
What are you downloading? That makes the biggest difference of them all, the server where the file is coming from :P.
It doesnt matter what i am downloading, the speed on my pc is always 64 kb/ps average, and just randomly jumps on any download.
RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by absorbation on 08-12-2007 at 01:00 PM

There are a number of factors then that could effect your download speed :):

1. Your neighbours, who use the same ISP are limiting the bandwidth down your local line.
  2. The rest of your family are using the router at the same time.
  3. The server where your downloading from. If you are using Bit-torrent then it is the seeds your are connected to.
  4. The distance you are from the router.
    [/list]

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Snake on 08-12-2007 at 01:14 PM

As long as your not over 150Feet (I think) then you should be fine for cable length. Have you tried plugging your connection into another plug on your router?

Also try changing NIC cards. There only about $20 at computer shops. Try that and see if your connection improves.

If that doesn't work then I would say it could be your router.

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-12-2007 at 02:28 PM

Ok Thank You Both.
I will look into all of them and see what i can do, many thanks.

RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by ZrednaZ on 08-15-2007 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
but the other day it peaked twice and reached 100+kb/ps, if it can reach that number then why does my speed average at 67-70kb/ps ?? :S

First of all, how fast is your connection supposed to be?
Are you sure it's peaking at over 100 kB/s? Try installing DU Meter if you haven't already and examine the graph while you dowload. Note that while Internet Explorer's download program might mention over 100 kB/s, the actual speed according to DU Meter may be at a constant 67-70 kB/s. My DU Meter graph has never temporarily shown a value greater than the speed I'm paying for.
Install DU Meter on your sister's computer too and compare the download speeds while downloading the same file from the same source. If there indeed is a difference, you might start blaming the router. Also, to possibly establish the router as a cause, check what speeds you are able to attain when your computer is connected directly to the DSL/cable modem...

BTW, would you happen to be on a wireless connection, your sister perhaps being on a wired connection? That may have some impact if your signal is weak...
RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by Eddie on 08-17-2007 at 04:42 AM

I will have a look at that thanks Zred :)

Would the fact that the router is configured with WAN and not LAN have anything to do with it *-)

RE: RE: Net Speed Peaks then Dies by ZrednaZ on 08-18-2007 at 09:43 PM

That question doesn't make much sense to me.. A router will have a WAN (Wide area network, in this case the internet) connected to one port and divide it out on the LAN (local area network) including physical ports and/or wireless to which your computers connect.