Shoutbox

Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? (/showthread.php?tid=76755)

Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-13-2007 at 06:12 PM

Hey guys. I was just wondering since I've started using Firefox a bit ago, how can I make the Windows Live Mail in Windows Live Messenger and on the start menu open in Firefox instead of IE7.

I searched for this and found a thread involving opening a script or something but I didn't understand how to do that. Would really appreciate your help.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by deAd on 08-13-2007 at 06:22 PM

You can use Stuffplug 3 for this.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-13-2007 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
You can use Stuffplug 3 for this.

Is there anything else I could use/do?

If worst comes to worse, I'll download that but I'd like to try something else.
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Zahid™ on 08-13-2007 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FFinWLM

I'm sure that there is nothing else that does this. Whats so wrong with Stuffplug?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Oxy on 08-13-2007 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
quote:

I'm sure that there is nothing else that does this. Whats so wrong with Stuffplug?
The fact that the versions stuffplug works for is slightly outdated?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Zahid™ on 08-13-2007 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
The fact that the versions stuffplug works for is slightly outdated?
No there is a trick that makes it work for 8.5 aswell.
http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1283
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-14-2007 at 12:29 AM

What about this script somebody posted in another thread? Can somebody explain how to run/open the script in this thread?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=68...d=756216#pid756216

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-14-2007 at 01:15 AM

Wow, horrible.... All you have to do is just set your program access and defaults to what you want........ If you don't know how to do that it should be on your start menu if it isn't located in the right column then go to Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs. Once that has loaded in the left column of that there should be a button that says "Set program access and defaults" And it's pretty obvious where to go from there.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by deAd on 08-14-2007 at 01:19 AM

WLM will still force the inbox to open in IE, regardless of what the default browser is.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-14-2007 at 01:31 AM

False,
I never said just the browser you can set your e-mail client as well.
True,
I have both, and have set both.

But you may or may not have to also change some Internet Options Settings under the programs tab.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-14-2007 at 02:43 AM

Setting both your browser and e-mail client to your default browser doesn't change the fact Windows Live Mail opens in IE7.

There has got to be something else you could use to make it open FF up.

Is stuffplug safe and contain any ad-ware?

And can it make Windows Live Mail from the start menu redirect to Firefox?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-14-2007 at 03:00 AM

Oh are you talking about the actual hotmail website or the program? I'm taking it as hotmail then, because Windows Live Mail the program doesn't open in firefox or IE it should open as a program. But Setting Program access and defaults should do it or your OS copy sucks. I'm sure I know what I'm talking about I've helped many people with this problem.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by deAd on 08-14-2007 at 03:47 AM

quote:

Stuffplug has no adware and is completely safe. I don't think it changes the start menu at all, it deals only with Messenger.
RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-14-2007 at 04:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
quote:

Stuffplug has no adware and is completely safe. I don't think it changes the start menu at all, it deals only with Messenger.

Is there anything that you can install to make Windows Live Mail from the start menu re-direct to Firefox?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-14-2007 at 05:52 AM

Okay first off really, stuffplug is NOT required for what you want.

Trust me I have my computer set to it.

But what do you mean by re-direct.... like a link you click in WLM open in firefox?

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Zahid™ on 08-14-2007 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whizpopthat

Ofcourse it is. He wants the mail icon in WLM to open his email in firefox, normally it opens in IE, stuffplug lets you open it in your default browser.
RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-14-2007 at 01:31 PM

quote:

Trust me I have my computer set to it.

But what do you mean by re-direct.... like a link you click in WLM open in firefox?

OK

In the main Windows start menu there is a ''Internet'' at the top just below your account picture. Right below the Internet, there is a E-Mail icon you can click.

Example: [Image: start-menu.gif]

Though mine is a bit different as Firefox is my default and my e-mail is set to Windows Live Mail. When I click on Firefox internet, it opens Firefox. When I click on E-Mail, it opens up my Windows Live Mail in Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.

I want that e-mail for Windows Live Mail to open up in Mozilla Firefox. I can't be any more specific.
RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-14-2007 at 01:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
quote:

Ofcourse it is. He wants the mail icon in WLM to open his email in firefox, normally it opens in IE, stuffplug lets you open it in your default browser.

Stuff Plug makes Windows Live Mail ON Windows Live Messenger open up Firefox which is good but it does not open up Windows Live Mail on Firefox on the start menu.

I am asking, is there anything I could edit/install/whatever to change make that happen?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-14-2007 at 05:31 PM

okay that's what i thought, and you don't need stuffplug you just need to configure stuff right.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-14-2007 at 09:07 PM

quote:
okay that's what i thought, and you don't need stuffplug you just need to configure stuff right.

How do I configure my ''stuff'' right?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-16-2007 at 04:36 AM

Refer to previous posts. Just configure your programs defaults, and then internet options, and open up firefox and make sure it's the default browser as well.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-16-2007 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Refer to previous posts. Just configure your programs defaults, and then internet options, and open up firefox and make sure it's the default browser as well.

I've already done that. Windows Live Mail still opens in IE.
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by MattyRid on 08-16-2007 at 05:29 AM

quote:

that is only for links in a conversation window.

if your after opening you hotmail in firefox, use stuffplug.

As stated already, Windows Live Messenger will force Hotmail to use internet explorer regardless of you default browser and regardless if you set your program defaults to it (and yes I have checked on all 3 of my windows xp computers). I don't think stuffplug would create such a feature if setting hotmail to open in firefox was as simple as setting it as a default browser

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-16-2007 at 08:16 AM

Honestly, I've set it to that, and lets just say.. It worked, no StuffPlug. Nothing, I think I may have also gotten rid of access to IE because it just.... sucks.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-18-2007 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
quote:

that is only for links in a conversation window.

if your after opening you hotmail in firefox, use stuffplug.

As stated already, Windows Live Messenger will force Hotmail to use internet explorer regardless of you default browser and regardless if you set your program defaults to it (and yes I have checked on all 3 of my windows xp computers). I don't think stuffplug would create such a feature if setting hotmail to open in firefox was as simple as setting it as a default browser

STUFFPLUG DOES NOT OPEN UP FIREFOX ON WINDOWS LIVE MAIL ON THE START MENU!

THAT'S WHAT I AM ASKING FOR HERE! IS THERE ANYTHING THAT DOES THAT?

My god...
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-18-2007 at 09:03 AM

I know you are prob frustrated just set programs and everything right and defaults to firefox, even from tools and options and click check now. I have mine set to what you want.. without a plugin.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Jesus on 08-18-2007 at 03:01 PM

whizpopthat, your method will not work in any way. If it was that easy, why would people ask this question? I mean, if someone wants to open his mail in firefox, they probably have set it as their default browser already. If not, then doing so won't solve the problem.

FFinWLM, If you use XP SP2 you can do the following (might work on Vista too, but I haven't tested):
-Open regedit
-Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail]
-Create a subkey called "DefaultIcon" (if it isn't there yet) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\DefaultIcon]
-Change/set the default value of the DefaultIcon key to "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll",0
-From the Hotmail key, navigate to shell\open\command [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\shell\open\command]
-Set the default value of the command key to "%ProgramFiles%\path\to\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/

Now, I don't use Windows Live Mail, so I don't know if this method has the same functionality as with IE (eg. auto login, that kind of stuff), but it does open Windows Live Mail in Firefox from the start menu.
This probably won't change the way Windows Live Messenger opens the mail, so you might still need stuffplug to do it from there.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-18-2007 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
whizpopthat, your method will not work in any way. If it was that easy, why would people ask this question? I mean, if someone wants to open his mail in firefox, they probably have set it as their default browser already. If not, then doing so won't solve the problem.

FFinWLM, If you use XP SP2 you can do the following (might work on Vista too, but I haven't tested):
-Open regedit
-Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail]
-Create a subkey called "DefaultIcon" (if it isn't there yet) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\DefaultIcon]
-Change/set the default value of the DefaultIcon key to "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll",0
-From the Hotmail key, navigate to shell\open\command [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\shell\open\command]
-Set the default value of the command key to "%ProgramFiles%\path\to\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/

Now, I don't use Windows Live Mail, so I don't know if this method has the same functionality as with IE (eg. auto login, that kind of stuff), but it does open Windows Live Mail in Firefox from the start menu.
This probably won't change the way Windows Live Messenger opens the mail, so you might still need stuffplug to do it from there.

Do you want me to include the - '' - in those and the - http://mail.live.com/ - in the value datas?
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-18-2007 at 10:23 PM

That didn't work. I did nothing wrong as well, I copied/pasted the exact same thing you typed and I also tried taking out the - '' - as well as the http://mail.live.com/ you included but that didn't work.

Are you sure you gave me the right directions? Maybe I missed something but I tried several different ways including copying/pasting the exact same thing you told me to type in the value data.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-26-2007 at 07:17 AM

Like I said it works for me fine.

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-28-2007 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Like I said it works for me fine.

Your Windows Live Mail from the start menu redirects to Firefox? I don't believe you unless you did something registry tricks or something. Setting FF as the default does not change that.
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-28-2007 at 08:35 PM

YESIREEEE and I don't touch registry keys unless it's like an emergency.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Spunky on 08-28-2007 at 08:51 PM

whizpopthat, your "advice" is not helping by any stretch of the imagination. Windows Live Mail opens in Internet Explorer and has been the case for a long time. Just by posting and offering no information that is relevant, or correct, you are spamming a thread where a user has a genuine problem.

There was a period where Windows Live Mail was opening in another browser I was using (Avant). I don't use Stuffplug at the moment, because it failed to work correctly when I first installed it and I have since lost confidence (although I'm sure it is fine as so many users on the forum use it.

So I think there is another to do it, but I'm not sure what the specific circumstances where at the time I achieved it

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by whizpopthat on 08-28-2007 at 10:23 PM

But see I don't have stuffplug and I have WLM open in firefox. I set all the defaults to firefox even internet options.

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by Jesus on 08-29-2007 at 10:03 PM

sorry it's been quite some time since my last post, I've been busy.
Have you tried altering the "%ProgramFiles%\path\to\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/

RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by FFinWLM on 08-30-2007 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
sorry it's been quite some time since my last post, I've been busy.
Have you tried altering the "%ProgramFiles%\path\to\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I entered that exact text and I got nothing.

What should I try altering in the path\to\firefox.exe? I'm not really sure.
RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox? by roflmao456 on 08-30-2007 at 06:59 PM

quote:
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I entered that exact text and I got nothing.

What should I try altering in the path\to\firefox.exe? I'm not really sure.

%ProgramFiles% = [drive]:\Program Files (C:\Program Files)

for my system i would use: %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

so the whole thing would be

code:
"%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/