Shoutbox

[skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features (/showthread.php?tid=76760)

[skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-13-2007 at 08:08 PM

Hey,
Yes yet again I have started another beta on skoolfun, the idea was to keep it as it is but I am starting to dislike the design, and so are others. In this new beta everything will be optimized and made cleaner and quite frankly "cooler". The idea is to make it darker and as I said before cooler, I plan to do this by approaching the grunge web design.

It will have new features, old features made better and optimized:

• AJAX for; voting, the new game overlay, pictures, and comments
  • New design
  • Allow users to submit their own games
  • Shoutbox
  • A proper theme changer - to change the whole layout and not just colours
  • Some cool effects (TBA :P)
  • A system that consists of credits, with credits you can do extra things, and the more you get, you will unlock something. (ideas on what you unlock would be greatly appreciated)
  • And features that any of you request

One of the main points is, if you request a feature - and I can do it, I promise I will make it.

[b]I have finished the website design, I would like your feedback on it, so I can finetune it :)

http://beta.skoolfun.com/designnf2.png click and opinions please :)

Just remember, without all of you contributing skoolfun wont proceed any further in becoming a better site :)

I hope you don't get pissed of by this thread, I asked tochjo in advance and he said it's fine, mods: please don't delete because i want to keep everyones ideas when im coding it so I know what to do :)

RE: [skoolfun]New design and new features by matty on 08-13-2007 at 08:11 PM

Will we need to login to upload a game? This may be a good idea if we need to edit the game information or so forth.

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-13-2007 at 08:14 PM

Most likely, I suppose I could do it by IP address but thats very risky and not very secure ... So yes I think you will have to login.

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by matty on 08-13-2007 at 08:29 PM

Well what I am asking is will it list all the games I have uploaded? and if so will i be able to edit them/remove them etc?

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-13-2007 at 08:40 PM

To cut it short yes :P

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by MeEtc on 08-13-2007 at 09:34 PM

require credits to:
use a proxy
save themes for others to view and comment on

i dunno, you were asking for suggstions

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-13-2007 at 11:23 PM

Thats a good idea, though how would we earn credits, adding games and pictures?

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by deAd on 08-14-2007 at 12:22 AM

Don't require credits...that's just going to make people not want to use the site. For example, I don't need to play games at school, but the proxy is really useful for me and some of my friends. Our school blocks all the proxy sites they can and skoolfun's is one that they don't know about. If we're going to need credits to use it, then we're just going to find another one :p

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by xJ + on 08-14-2007 at 12:27 AM

What kind of games can we upload btw?
It'd be better if users could upload all kind of extensions (example: .exe), so that we could also share offline games, but restrict to only game trials. ;D
The layout is a bit too dark, but it's cool though. :tongue:

Edit:
More Suggestion[s]... ;P
Show the status when uploading; users could visually see the current status of the upload.

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-14-2007 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
Don't require credits...that's just going to make people not want to use the site. For example, I don't need to play games at school, but the proxy is really useful for me and some of my friends. Our school blocks all the proxy sites they can and skoolfun's is one that they don't know about. If we're going to need credits to use it, then we're just going to find another one :p
Well I'm thinking of implementing the new proxy into the website so you can hide your page using the javascript right click.

I won't be doing to for proxy, and the credits might not be compulsary.
RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by prashker on 08-14-2007 at 02:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Thats a good idea, though how would we earn credits, adding games and pictures?

Voting of couse 8-).

Max 5 votes per day (well, that count for poins) = 1point x 5 = 1 credit
RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Jarrod on 08-14-2007 at 06:28 AM

you could have a normal php proxy
then credit access to a cgi proxy?
also more domains/subdomains

where is the proxy btw

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-14-2007 at 03:03 PM

Yeah, thats a good idea xen0h :)

Well the design is totally different compared to the one I first showed you in the first post :)

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by matty on 08-14-2007 at 04:06 PM

* matty quotes himself from WLM last night

quote:
Originally posted by matty
matty says:
sf goes through more designs then ron jeremy does condoms.

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-14-2007 at 06:58 PM

So true :P, I just get mythered, and bored :P

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Steven on 08-14-2007 at 07:06 PM

Yes, please think about a proxy because my whole school board, (which i beleive includes canadianhero, and val) implemented a new system i think may last year that blocks sites with the word proxy in them, and even blocked skoolfun probably because of the domain name, it never worked for me.

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-14-2007 at 07:08 PM

I did have a proxy, I don't know where its gone, I will add it asap :)

RE: [skoolfun] New design and new features by joey on 08-14-2007 at 07:14 PM

all the schools in our council use the same server deal thing, and although it took them a loooooooong time, they're finally cracking down on shit like that. blocking shit-loads of sites, and proxy websites too. they even blocked google mail :tongue:

so i opened up all my spam in my email box, and but loads of dodgy things on the computers :P

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 12:32 AM

Updated first page, gogogo

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by prashker on 08-15-2007 at 02:42 AM

Suggestion: (Mostly based off newgrounds).

When someone uploads a new flash video it's placed in a Voting panel (the 'Flash Portal' page on newgrounds). If it gets lots of low votes or it's score is under <blah> on a scale from 0 to 5. It gets removed from the site and the member is messaged via PM that his submission was BLAMMED (removed due to low votes).

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Felu on 08-15-2007 at 04:35 AM

omfg yet another new design? looks nice though.

Play maximum 5 games without registering? Give more features to registered members and 100 credits to register, etc?

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lou on 08-15-2007 at 04:43 AM

That design is great, but the only problem is that your main audience is one which will probably be running the site on computers that are rather old. School computers aren't usually up to date, and because of that, the amount of images used in the design could potentially slow everything down quite a bit.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by prashker on 08-15-2007 at 04:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Play maximum 5 games without registering?

NO!, definatly a NO NO :p.

quote:
Give more features to registered members

I'd say more features as in Able to Vote for Credits, and leave comments on the game.

quote:
100 credits to register

Seems good (y).
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Matti on 08-15-2007 at 09:10 AM

Nice design, however I have no idea how you're going to code those arrows. :P

Love the slogan! :)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by NanaFreak on 08-15-2007 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike

background image?

and it looks nice nathan :)
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Matti on 08-15-2007 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
background image?
The arrows are all placed in a different direction. A background image will only copy one image, resulting in arrows pointing in the same direction. :tongue:
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 09:24 AM

quote:
omfg yet another new design? looks nice though.
Yep :refuck:, and thanks :)
quote:
Play maximum 5 games without registering?
No, that is one of the worst things to do to a website, force the player to register.
quote:
Give more features to registered members and 100 credits to register, etc?
Yes there is already more features for those logged in... 100 credits to register? nah I don't think so.

I have thought another idea though here it is:
You basically start off with 10 credits, everytime you vote you will get another credit but the maximum you can vote is 2 per hour.
You will get 5 credits for every game you upload, and you will get a furthermore 10 credits if the game is voted over 7.
When you upload a pictures the same goes for the game system.
When you comment, that will give you 1 credit.

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
That design is great, but the only problem is that your main audience is one which will probably be running the site on computers that are rather old. School computers aren't usually up to date, and because of that, the amount of images used in the design could potentially slow everything down quite a bit.
Well in the new beta I think I will have 2 sites tbh, one to access when at home, and one for school. So you go to http://skoolfun.com and then click "I'm at school" and it will make the design simpler. This way the website can get the best of both worlds :)

quote:

Easy for the arrows :P, just make it an img/background via css :)
quote:

and it looks nice nathan :)

thankies <3

quote:
quote:
background image?
The arrows are all placed in a different direction. A background image will only copy one image, resulting in arrows pointing in the same direction. :tongue:
Erm position: fixed should do it, and I havnt decided weather it is going to be a fixed website or liquid.

if it was fixed: the background would all be one image

if it was liquid: the image would be fixed into the corners via divs :)

I have had another idea
to earn credits you can transfer me to skoolfun with a reffering id! for every person reffered you get 1 credit, and for every person reffered and registered 10 credits.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by absorbation on 08-15-2007 at 10:27 AM

I think it is a step back compared to the old website. It was more simple, and playing games had a nice clear space. It looks like some free template now.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 10:31 AM

Well it will have a free space to play games, becuase it has an overlay :)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Jarrod on 08-15-2007 at 10:57 AM

quote:
by ie
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /home/.axle/brennn/skoolfun.com/template/header.php on line 292

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 11:07 AM

fixed :), I don't know what happened tbh it wasn't me :P and header decided to fuck up so i uploaded yesterdays version

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 08:48 PM

Anyone want to give me some last requests for the design, I plan to start it in a few hours (coding it up)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by prashker on 08-15-2007 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Anyone want to give me some last requests for the design, I plan to start it in a few hours (coding it up)

Make the design for the page that says what the flash is :P.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/393410

Those type pages.

I suggest if you want ads you do it the same way as them, either at the top as a banner, or in the bottom of the overlay of the flash :p.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 08:51 PM

I will do both most likely ;)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by segosa on 08-15-2007 at 10:04 PM

quote:

PROTIP: work on security first.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-15-2007 at 10:09 PM

haha, like you think that I am not?

I am currently recoding it.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Voldemort on 08-16-2007 at 01:37 AM

lowned.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-16-2007 at 02:37 PM

k, I'd say in about 2-3 hours I will have the design coded up, after that is when I start skoolfun (from scratch)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Eddie on 08-16-2007 at 03:00 PM

quote:
k, I'd say in about 2-3 hours I will have the design coded up, after that is when I start skoolfun (from scratch)
Good Luck and lookn forward to new version :)
P.S. is the proxy up yet, ive never been able to find it.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-16-2007 at 03:02 PM

I don't know where that is anymore :P,
I'll add one once I have finished the html to the design.

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Good Luck and lookn forward to new version (Smilie)
Glad someone does :)
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-18-2007 at 06:14 PM

Just so you all know: I have started coding skoolfun from scratch and I have just finished the rating bit. I really need your features now tbh.

Thanks.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by prashker on 08-18-2007 at 06:19 PM

I gave you mine :p-.

Put on the new backround!!!!

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-18-2007 at 06:22 PM

well I am not doing the design atm, I am doing the php k.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lourix on 08-18-2007 at 07:22 PM

A fresh new design with so many possibilities. It reminds of many other great game sites out there. I would like a shoutbox on the site very much, it could express the views of visitors. The ability for people to login and upload their own pics and vids on this new design would be brilliant. With admins and such adding news and more content everyday this site will be a great success. I just hope that Nathan will code some great php that will make this site what it is meant to be. (Like he'll code some rubbish anyway).
:P

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-18-2007 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
The ability for people to login and upload their own pics and vids would be brilliant
If you go the current http://skoolfun.com and if you register then you will see that we already have the feature where users can add pictures and games :)
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by andrewdodd13 on 08-19-2007 at 06:37 PM

It looks quite a bit like http://www.newgrounds.com/.

Like, a lot like.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by absorbation on 08-19-2007 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
It looks quite a bit like http://www.newgrounds.com/.

Like, a lot like.

I told him the same, but he protested it wasn't :zippy:.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lou on 08-19-2007 at 06:48 PM

Yes, it actually does look quite like Newgrounds. I think there could be some issues there Nathan :undecided:.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-19-2007 at 06:53 PM

Why,
It doesn't look anything like newgrounds :/
Just becuase I use orange and grey doesn't mean it looks like newgrounds...

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lou on 08-19-2007 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Why,
It doesn't look anything like newgrounds :/
Just becuase I use orange and grey doesn't mean it looks like newgrounds...
You set everything up in a (too) similar way. You're going to have some angry people.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-19-2007 at 07:00 PM

No, I wont,
Have you seen the new background? No. So instead of "assuming" why don't you just ask me on wlm and I shall explain.

I am going to keep the new background a surprise (so you better not show anyone Sonicsam ;))
(Sonicsam made it for me.)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by andrewdodd13 on 08-19-2007 at 07:35 PM

Well, from the screenshot you posted, the likeness, other than just the orange on black there's buildings in the top logo (not sure if you're referring to the background being the metallic type background image, or this image) and even the gradient goes from yellowy-orange to reddy-orange (reddy is in Firefox's default dictionary? :|) in the same way.

Seriously, a lot of people are going to turn round and be like "wow, it's like newgrounds."

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by joey on 08-19-2007 at 07:46 PM

a few of us were saying that in the spambox the other day :P

i do like the look though, but be careful, and keep it original =p

What layout... fixed or liquid by Nathan on 08-19-2007 at 08:30 PM

Well the title says it all tbh. Would you like the new skoolfun's design fixed or liquid. I asked a few people on msn and there was a variety of different answers so please choose :)

(I tried to add the poll to skoolfun's current hread but couldn't. Reported to see if it can be merged.)

Admin edit: poll moved and threads merged.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by absorbation on 08-19-2007 at 09:27 PM

I thought it was instantly the same. The colour scheme, layout and little tweaks like the login bar all add up to it looking very similar. Plus I don't like the newsgrounds design, it's very dark and hard to navigate :rolleyes:.

RE: RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by andrewdodd13 on 08-19-2007 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I thought it was instantly the same. The colour scheme, layout and little tweaks like the login bar all add up to it looking very similar. Plus I don't like the newsgrounds design, it's very dark and hard to navigate :rolleyes:.

I'll be honest, I've only ever been on New Grounds once or twice, but for some reason, as soon as I saw it, I was like, wtf, is that a Screenshot of New Grounds... so I went and checked their site, and it's pretty similar.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lou on 08-20-2007 at 05:42 AM

quote:
No, I wont,
Have you seen the new background? No. So instead of "assuming" why don't you just ask me on wlm and I shall explain.

I am going to keep the new background a surprise (so you better not show anyone Sonicsam ;))
(Sonicsam made it for me.)
Calm down Mr. Rude. I saw that design, and was commenting solely on that design. Even without the damn background it's too damn similar to newgrounds and you very well know it. There's no need for you to be so rude with me; I'm one of your staff members for Christ's sake. In case you didn't realise, I posted my opinion in this thread instead of through WLM because you made a thread for that purpose. Otherwise, you could've just stuck your email in your signature with a little message (though I disagree with all the threads you make, instead of asking your staff for some input at all).

I think the design is much too similar to newgrounds, and I believe newgrounds design to be too dark. As well, any passing teacher at a school will see it and instantly know what it is. Not only are you probably stealing ideas from newgrounds, but you're going to make your site so obvious that people won't even bother because teachers will know what it is right off the bat.

That combined with the fact that you want to use AJAX (or at least wanted to) for just about everything shows that you don't really care to support your target audience. The way it's currently headed, the site is much more suitable for home play than for school play, because it's too obvious, and uses features that could potentially not work on school computers. You have to understand that most schools disable javascript on their browsers, and that most schools don't have great download speeds (your design uses too many images). You're sort-of killing your own website.

You'll need to make the website a calm colour, otherwise it will be easy to spot. You'll also need to ensure it runs smoothly (the least amount of downloads possible) for everyone, because if it takes too long to load, people will go elsewhere. Most schools run slow connections, because the computers aren't meant to download games and high amounts of images.

Edit: As well, I'd probably opt for a liquid design, because I doubt many school computers have a resolution of 1024 * 768. The ones at my school at least are all 800 * 600. Liquid designs mean more support for everyone.

You'll also have to keep me a bit more updated, and be a little less rude to me if you intend on keeping yourself on my good side, and me as any kind of aid. I said I was willing to help you, I didn't say I was willing to be kept in the dark, nor did I say I was willing to let you be that rude with me for no reason. If you'd give your staff members some chance to input their thoughts instead of always creating a thread on these forums (which are completely unrelated, and people are getting rather annoyed of all the skoolfun threads) then I wouldn't have had to guess that the design you are showing here is already changing.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by prashker on 08-20-2007 at 05:48 AM

told you :p.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-20-2007 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Calm down Mr. Rude. I saw that design, and was commenting solely on that design. Even without the damn background it's too damn similar to newgrounds and you very well know it. There's no need for you to be so rude with me; I'm one of your staff members for Christ's sake. In case you didn't realise, I posted my opinion in this thread instead of through WLM because you made a thread for that purpose. Otherwise, you could've just stuck your email in your signature with a little message (though I disagree with all the threads you make, instead of asking your staff for some input at all).
I know you are one of my staff, and you are "offending" me. Like I said I don't mean to be rude, what I say just comes out wrong.

quote:
I think the design is much too similar to newgrounds, and I believe newgrounds design to be too dark. As well, any passing teacher at a school will see it and instantly know what it is. Not only are you probably stealing ideas from newgrounds, but you're going to make your site so obvious that people won't even bother because teachers will know what it is right off the bat.
I'll say it again, the main site will not be for schools, however it will have a seperate site for school which will have the same content as the normal site with just some more features for school.

quote:
That combined with the fact that you want to use AJAX (or at least wanted to) for just about everything shows that you don't really care to support your target audience. The way it's currently headed, the site is much more suitable for home play than for school play, because it's too obvious, and uses features that could potentially not work on school computers. You have to understand that most schools disable javascript on their browsers, and that most schools don't have great download speeds (your design uses too many images). You're sort-of killing your own website.
Like I said In my first post, I will use ajax for comments, and for viewing games and pictures. It will have a separate button for those without javascript where it will just load a normal page. And I'll say it again, the main site won't be for school, it will have a seperate site which will be more suttle.
quote:
You'll also have to keep me a bit more updated, and be a little less rude to me if you intend on keeping yourself on my good side, and me as any kind of aid. I said I was willing to help you, I didn't say I was willing to be kept in the dark, nor did I say I was willing to let you be that rude with me for no reason. If you'd give your staff members some chance to input their thoughts instead of always creating a thread on these forums (which are completely unrelated, and people are getting rather annoyed of all the skoolfun threads) then I wouldn't have had to guess that the design you are showing here is already changing.

I keep all of my other members of staff informed, it's not my fault whenever I try to send you an offline message it bounces back :-/

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by John Anderton on 08-20-2007 at 10:14 AM

Static designs fail. Use liquid or die.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lou on 08-20-2007 at 03:28 PM

quote:
I keep all of my other members of staff informed, it's not my fault whenever I try to send you an offline message it bounces back
quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
Err, it's the internet. Got email?
Seriously. I've told you this before, email me.
quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
Oh and what's the point in having a non-school version of your site? It's called skoolfun
I completely agree.
quote:
the main site will not be for schools
quote:
[skoolfun]
So where does the "skool" stuff come in? It comes in after everyone else, who honestly, will just want to go play games on much larger websites?
quote:
Like I said In my first post, I will use ajax for comments, and for viewing games and pictures.
Viewing the games? Just screw off with the ajax. it's not needed, and in your school situation, it's really just bloat. It was fine the way it was originally.
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by absorbation on 08-20-2007 at 07:23 PM

Can you remove when I right click Google popping up, it is extermely annoying :P.

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-20-2007 at 07:38 PM

Well the idea of skoolfun.com is if s teacher comes then it will hide google... I think I might keep it as a normal school website. I just need to decide ;)

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Lou on 08-21-2007 at 05:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Can you remove when I right click Google popping up, it is extermely annoying :P.
That should be a setting for people that register :O
RE: RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by -dt- on 08-21-2007 at 08:15 AM

registration should be handled with openID :DDD

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Jhrono on 08-21-2007 at 09:18 AM

SkoolGrounds!

RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features by Nathan on 08-21-2007 at 04:50 PM

:rofl:

I like it :refuck:, seriously!