Shoutbox

Turn Off button has gone? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Turn Off button has gone? (/showthread.php?tid=76830)

Turn Off button has gone? by EBFL on 08-17-2007 at 08:32 AM

The 'Turn Off' button on the start menu has disappeared, the 'Log off' button is still there though. I really don't see why the Turn Off button randomly disappeared yesterday. So does anyone know how to get my Turn Off button back?

RE: Turn Off button has gone? by M73A on 08-17-2007 at 09:43 AM

lol, that is wierd, are you using windows blinds or something? otherwise i don't see where it would have gone ^o)

RE: RE: Turn Off button has gone? by EBFL on 08-17-2007 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
lol, that is wierd, are you using windows blinds or something? otherwise i don't see where it would have gone ^o)

Nope. But here's pix:
RE: Turn Off button has gone? by azn angel on 08-17-2007 at 10:59 AM

have you done a virus scan?

RE: Turn Off button has gone? by markee on 08-17-2007 at 11:28 AM

My uni has XP set to ave only the log-of button on some of the computers so I'm guessing it is something you can turn on and off, just have to search the net a little.

EDIT:
looks to e a registry (click for more info about removing the shutdown button).  I don't seem to have the entry in my registry so I would assume it safe to delete if you do have it (though I would like confirmation of this).

RE: Turn Off button has gone? by pollolibredegrasa on 08-17-2007 at 11:36 AM

Start>Run gpedit.msc

Expand User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menu and Taskbar

Make sure "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down command" is not set to Enabled and then restart explorer.exe

I think there was another option somewhere if that doesn't help, but I can't remember it at the moment...

RE: Turn Off button has gone? by EBFL on 08-17-2007 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
have you done a virus scan?
Yes, i have no viruses.
quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
Start>Run gpedit.msc

Expand User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menu and Taskbar

Make sure "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down command" is not set to Enabled and then restart explorer.exe

I think there was another option somewhere if that doesn't help, but I can't remember it at the moment...
Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.
RE: RE: Turn Off button has gone? by pollolibredegrasa on 08-17-2007 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EBFL
Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

My bad, gpedit only comes with XP Professional.

Anyway, check the link markee posted, as it's essentially the same thing - if the key exists it IS safe to delete, as it is only created when the policy is changed.