Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug (/showthread.php?tid=76871)

Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by hugo_luiten on 08-19-2007 at 04:38 AM

i think i discover a bug or i dont find a option:

When you have  your conversations of MSN Messenger saved by Messenger Plus for example i log in with my adress and pass,and activate the registry.When my brother goes to the same computer( and log in with him mail) where i am and he activates the registry of conversations too , that the bug comes, in my opinion it shloud save the conversations into diferents folders , the conversations it shloud create a folder with my brothers email adress, and save him conversations there . And when i log in with my adress it should create another folder with my email adress and save my coversations is this other folder. In Messenger Plus options i only have two options (save by data, i think it is per months, that i have activated) an orther is ( save by email , i dont uderstand what it do) but i think as i said if two persons go to the same computer is should create 2 diferents folder with the log in email adress and save into the respective folders, is it possiveble? Or this option is available , i dont see it

RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by toddy on 08-19-2007 at 04:56 AM

this is already possible, as plus saved preferences for each users separately

1) log on msn with your account
2) go to chat log options (plus > preferences > conversations > chat logging)
3) change the file destination to something like C:\Documents and Settings\’user name’\My Documents\My Chat Logs\’your email’
4) click ok and sign out of messenger
5) log on messenger with your brothers account
6) change his file destination to C:\Documents and Settings\’user name’\My Documents\My Chat Logs\’his email’
7) click ok

RE: RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by hugo_luiten on 08-19-2007 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
this is already possible, as plus saved preferences for each users separately

1) log on msn with your account
2) go to chat log options (plus > preferences > conversations > chat logging)
3) change the file destination to something like C:\Documents and Settings\’user name’\My Documents\My Chat Logs\’your email’
4) click ok and sign out of messenger
5) log on messenger with your brothers account
6) change his file destination to C:\Documents and Settings\’user name’\My Documents\My Chat Logs\’his email’
7) click ok

Obviously like this is possible but is more simple if Messenger Plus do it automatically for example i log in with my email and Messenger Plus create a folder with my adress email automatically and if my brother log in msn should create automatically a folder with his email and save into this folder his conversations , and for each different emails Messenger Plus shoud creates a folder with the log in email adress and save into the this folder his/her conversations .

so for each email adress that log in Messenger Plus should create a folder withe the log in email adress and save into this folder his/her conversations and do it for each email adress that log ins automatically , it shoud make it automatically NOT manually for example if i dont kone his/her passwork i cant log in so i cant make this process you explain above is better if Messenger Plus do it automaically.
RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by ahmetgns on 08-22-2007 at 08:48 PM

I don't think that is a bug, that is how MP!L is coded. (I'll report this thread for to be moved to General Talk forum). But I agree with you. Different folders with different MSN addresses must be created automatically. Because, I have just tried, if two different people have the same contact, and their preferences for Chat Logging are the same in Messenger Plus! preferences, then the conversations of both of them are saved into a unique file. I found it annoying. If one user on a Windows account wants to log his chats from his different Windows Live IDs into a unique file, then let him make his Save Folder same. But for others, different folders must created in my opinion.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by hugo_luiten on 08-22-2007 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I don't think that is a bug, that is how MP!L is coded. (I'll report this thread for to be moved to General Talk forum). But I agree with you. Different folders with different MSN addresses must be created automatically. Because, I have just tried, if two different people have the same contact, and their preferences for Chat Logging are the same in Messenger Plus! preferences, then the conversations of both of them are saved into a unique file. I found it annoying. If one user on a Windows account wants to log his chats from his different Windows Live IDs into a unique file, then let him make his Save Folder same. But for others, different folders must created in my opinion.

Yes is how MP!L is coded , and other think i found is when the conversation registry is protected by password , why it can be deleted ( you cant delete if you have Windows live messenger opened, if you do it , it says that the file is been utilized by other program, but if you close Messenger you can delete is , i think it should be blocked by pass for view the docs and delete them even if Messenger is closed or opened.
RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by Ezra on 08-22-2007 at 10:28 PM

About the delete thing, that's not really the job of msgplus to ckeck out, you should do that with NTFS File Perimissions.

RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by ahmetgns on 08-23-2007 at 05:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hugo_luiten
Yes is how MP!L is coded , and other think i found is when the conversation registry is protected by password , why it can be deleted ( you cant delete if you have Windows live messenger opened, if you do it , it says that the file is been utilized by other program, but if you close Messenger you can delete is , i think it should be blocked by pass for view the docs and delete them even if Messenger is closed or opened.

Chat logs can't be deleted (whether encrypted or not) when the conversation windows (not Messenger) are opened of the contacts who are the owners of those logs. Because when you open someone's chat window, Messenger Plus! opens and starts writing into his/her chat log file. This is normal Windows behaviour.

Also about the first subject, maybe Patchou wants people use different Windows accounts on a computer, i.e. not share one Windows account. So saving directly under ".../My Chat Logs", without seperating different Windows Live IDs' chats into different folders is more useful and convenient.

PS: I think "registry" is not the correct word about saving chats. You must use "save" or "log". I mean, for example, your topic must has been "Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug". The word "registry" reminds me Windows Registry, and at first glance I thought you are talking about a Windows Registry bug.
RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by toddy on 08-23-2007 at 06:25 AM

do you ever stop talking crap .............

quote:
maybe Patchou wants people use different Windows accounts on a computer, i.e. not share one Windows account. So saving directly under ".../My Chat Logs", without seperating different Windows Live IDs' chats into different folders is more useful and convenient.
:lol:
give one good reason why "Patchou wants people use different Windows accounts on a computer, i.e. not share one Windows account"

infact give any reason.

as for the thread, i've already explained how to have the chat logs serperated into different folders. patchou may well change it in the furture to save in '/my chat logs/email/' however as i'm sure most people only use one email, per windows account, it would just add a piontless folder
RE: RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by hugo_luiten on 08-24-2007 at 03:09 PM

quote:
quote:

Chat logs can't be deleted (whether encrypted or not) when the conversation windows (not Messenger) are opened of the contacts who are the owners of those logs. Because when you open someone's chat window, Messenger Plus! opens and starts writing into his/her chat log file. This is normal Windows behaviour.

Also about the first subject, maybe Patchou wants people use different Windows accounts on a computer, i.e. not share one Windows account. So saving directly under ".../My Chat Logs", without seperating different Windows Live IDs' chats into different folders is more useful and convenient.

PS: I think "registry" is not the correct word about saving chats. You must use "save" or "log". I mean, for example, your topic must has been "Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug". The word "registry" reminds me Windows Registry, and at first glance I thought you are talking about a Windows Registry bug.

Chat logs can be deleted even if encrypted  or not if you have messenger CLOSED

quote:

why is it more convenient i think it shloud be used in the next version of Plus

PS: When i sign in with my details in Messenger in 2 diferents computers why my photos and nick are not saved autoamtically for example and it is a feature of Messenger 8,1 is saving Display Picture in Servers and if you log in in diferents computers is shloud appear the same DP that you have on previously computer, why i dont appear with my account For example if my nick in pc1 is Hugo Luiten with colours and if a log in in the second computer it dont appear my current DP and nick is changed to Hugo why? should i mark something in Messenger options  Menu?

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by ahmetgns on 08-31-2007 at 07:57 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Chat logs can be deleted even if encrypted  or not if you have messenger CLOSED
I can delete my chat logs even if I have my messenger OPENED. So?

quote:

PS: When i sign in with my details in Messenger in 2 diferents computers why my photos and nick are not saved autoamtically for example and it is a feature of Messenger 8,1 is saving Display Picture in Servers and if you log in in diferents computers is shloud appear the same DP that you have on previously computer, why i dont appear with my account For example if my nick in pc1 is Hugo Luiten with colours and if a log in in the second computer it dont appear my current DP and nick is changed to Hugo why? should i mark something in Messenger options  Menu?
I didn't understand what you mean. But;
  • Display names in chat logs are the names which are current names while saving that chat.
  • You must tick an option in WLM preferences for roaming display pictures and personal messages. (Not for display names)
  • When you change your display name or picture, servers sometimes can't be updated with the new info instantly.

RE: RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus Conversations Registry Bug by hugo_luiten on 09-03-2007 at 02:44 PM

quote:
[options  Menu?
I didn't understand what you mean. But;
  • Display names in chat logs are the names which are current names while saving that chat.
  • You must tick an option in WLM preferences for roaming display pictures and personal messages. (Not for display names)
  • When you change your display name or picture, servers sometimes can't be updated with the new info instantly.

yes is that my problem also when i sign in with my account in different computers my nickname and DPs are not saved and i dont know why is just to sincronize this things and its a feature of WLM 8,1 where i have to mark to always save nickname and DPs in all computers i sign in i have to do it in all computers that i sign in or just in one , could you say to my step by step how to do it .
RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by ahmetgns on 09-03-2007 at 07:33 PM

quote:
yes is that my problem also when i sign in with my account in different computers my nickname and DPs are not saved and i dont know why is just to sincronize this things and its a feature of WLM 8,1 where i have to mark to always save nickname and DPs in all computers i sign in i have to do it in all computers that i sign in or just in one , could you say to my step by step how to do it .
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Yes, it's called roaming.

quote:
Originally posted by [url
http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!25206.entry]Roaming[/url] Identity  - Your display name follows you any place you sign into. Now your display picture and personal message will follow you too. If you would prefer they stayed in place you can turn this off (Tools->Options->General -> Sign In -> "Use the same display picture....")

[Image: attachment.php?pid=789590]
I think that option is also roaming, I mean, when you change it on one computer, it will change on a second computer accordingly when you sign in there. Because if that option is not roaming, then it would not make sense in my opinion. (I didn't bother to try it)

Nicknames used to be roaming before even Live version of Messenger. But roaming display pictures and personal messages is avaliable only on WLM 8.1 and above. But if you sign in on a previous version before 8.1, then you can't use the display picture and personal message stored on the server.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by hugo_luiten on 09-03-2007 at 07:49 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Yes, it's called roaming.

quote:
Originally posted by [url
http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!25206.entry]Roaming[/url] Identity  - Your display name follows you any place you sign into. Now your display picture and personal message will follow you too. If you would prefer they stayed in place you can turn this off (Tools->Options->General -> Sign In -> "Use the same display picture....")

[Image: attachment.php?pid=789590]
I think that option is also roaming, I mean, when you change it on one computer, it will change on a second computer accordingly when you sign in there. Because if that option is not roaming, then it would not make sense in my opinion. (I didn't bother to try it)

Nicknames used to be roaming before even Live version of Messenger. But roaming display pictures and personal messages is avaliable only on WLM 8.1 and above. But if you sign in on a previous version before 8.1, then you can't use the display picture and personal message stored on the server.

i used wlm 8,1 (lastest build) and i have this option marked (on both computers) and it dont save DPs and nickname why?
RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by ahmetgns on 09-03-2007 at 09:53 PM

quote:
i used wlm 8,1 (lastest build) and i have this option marked (on both computers) and it dont save DPs and nickname why?
Nickname is already roaming without that option's effect.

Do you have a Windows Live Space associated with your Windows Live ID which you use in Messenger? If yes, then visit your profile page on your Windows Live Space and check if any picture is stored there. The first picture will be the display picture of Messenger. [Image: attachment.php?pid=846512]

Also I'll repeat something;
quote:

PS: Don't double post, edit your post if needed, now please delete your first post of last two.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by hugo_luiten on 09-04-2007 at 07:32 PM

quote:
quote:
Nickname is already roaming without that option's effect.

Do you have a Windows Live Space associated with your Windows Live ID which you use in Messenger? If yes, then visit your profile page on your Windows Live Space and check if any picture is stored there. The first picture will be the display picture of Messenger. [Image: attachment.php?pid=846512]

Also I'll repeat something;
quote:

PS: Don't double post, edit your post if needed, now please delete your first post of last two.

No i dont have live spaces associated with my email adress so why it dont sincronise picture and nickname?
RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by ahmetgns on 09-06-2007 at 11:36 AM

quote:
No i dont have live spaces associated with my email adress so why it dont sincronise picture and nickname?
I have just remembered that, even if you don't have a Windows Live Space, your profile always exists. You can still visit your profile page from "Windows Live Messenger Options window > Personal (First tab) > General Profile part" , click on Edit Profile button there. Then your profile page will be opened and you can still see the picture there.

[list][*]If your display picture exists there, then it means that your messenger sends the display picture to the servers but can't retrieve it.

[*]If it doesn't exist there, then it means that your messenger can't even send the display picture to the servers.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by hugo_luiten on 09-06-2007 at 11:44 AM

quote:
quote:
I have just remembered that, even if you don't have a Windows Live Space, your profile always exists. You can still visit your profile page from "Windows Live Messenger Options window > Personal (First tab) > General Profile part" , click on Edit Profile button there. Then your profile page will be opened and you can still see the picture there.

[list][*]If your display picture exists there, then it means that your messenger sends the display picture to the servers but can't retrieve it.

[*]If it doesn't exist there, then it means that your messenger can't even send the display picture to the servers.

When i click on edit profile button i recive an email from live spaces and it create automatically a live space i go to profile and obviously dont have any photos there because i dont have live spaces before, so photos must be there to roaming feature?, so why i have to do just but a image in msn or what? upload it to profile?
RE: Messenger Plus! Conversations Saving Bug by ahmetgns on 09-06-2007 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hugo_luitenWhen i click on edit profile button i recive an email from live spaces and it create automatically a live space i go to profile and obviously dont have any photos there because i dont have live spaces before, so photos must be there to roaming feature?, so why i have to do just but a image in msn or what? upload it to profile?

It seems Microsoft is forcing people to have a Windows Live Space. My two test accounts have their own spaces now :(

Change your display picture (well, you can change your display name or personal message as well) once more from inside Messenger with the roaming option is enabled in your messenger, then visit your profile again. Last picture (and/or name ans psm) may be seen there after that. Don't forget, first picture is Messenger display picture, second one is profile picture.

Even if you can upload new messenger pictures from inside that profile page, I couldn't get it work. After I changed my display picture from that page, my wlm couldn't retrieve it when I signed in. So changing it from that page may not help. Yet, it is worth to give it a try.

Really I don't know why your messenger behaves like that.

PS: I recommend you to "Choose a web address" for your space. It should have given you a temporary strange address which starts with cid-..... You can find the "Choose a web address " link on main page of your space.